Mola Mola and the like (Manufacturers using the NC1200)

Barry_NJ

• So much media... So little time...
Re: Mola Mola and the like (Manufacturers using the NC1200)
« Reply #20 on: 12 Oct 2012, 08:45 pm »
New pix of the Veritas mono-block...

DSCN2756 by Barry (NJ), on Flickr

DSCN2719 by Barry (NJ), on Flickr

jackman

« Reply #21 on: 12 Oct 2012, 08:58 pm »
Looks great!  The price is way out of my budget. Unfortunately, even the "special deal" given to "beta testers" is probably out of range for me.

The casework and logo really do look very nice.  No doubt they sound great.  Ate these the standard switching ps or do they have a custom power supply?

Charles Xavier

« Reply #22 on: 12 Oct 2012, 10:02 pm »
They utilize the Hypex SMPS1200 power-supply. For what it's worth, Merrill Audio didn't offer "Beta Test" pricing. Beta Test implies that there were bugs to be worked out. It is "Charter" pricing to help spread the word and get some buzz going on a new product, from a new manufacturer.

Whats the manufacturers background ? Not much info on the website.

Barry_NJ

« Reply #23 on: 12 Oct 2012, 11:18 pm »
He's an EE with a passion for audio, but the designer of the boards is Burno Putzeys and the manufacturer of the boards is Hypex corp of the Netherlands. I did the company logo and design of the amp face ;)

cab

« Reply #24 on: 12 Oct 2012, 11:34 pm »
Whats the manufacturers background ? Not much info on the website.

Good question. I have never heard of them...I was under the impression that the ncore1200 was only going to be made available to well established companies...

Barry_NJ

« Reply #25 on: 13 Oct 2012, 12:22 pm »
Good question. I have never heard of them...I was under the impression that the ncore1200 was only going to be made available to well established companies...

I don't know the arrangement that was made between Merrill Audio and Hypex, but the Veritas amps are hand assembled with great care and careful selection of complementary components, by the principal of the company here in New Jersey.

jhm731

« Last Edit: 28 Oct 2012, 10:42 pm by jtwrace »

Regnad

« Reply #27 on: 27 Oct 2012, 09:17 pm »
I received a pair of Veritas amps yesterday and I am VERY pleased, they are MUCH better than the DIY NC400s!

OzarkTom

« Reply #28 on: 28 Oct 2012, 03:51 am »
I have a pai of the Atsah amps here on demo this weekend. I agree, these are quite a bit better than the NC400's that I listened to earlier.

dan92075

« Reply #29 on: 28 Oct 2012, 04:49 am »

Could you guys please add some more details to your reviews?

In what ways specifically do you consider the NC1200 better than the NC400?

the bass, the midrange, treble?

For example, the clarity,  or the absence of background intermod distortion "noise" is already world-class on the NC400

So if I had to guess, perhaps the NC1200 has a more coherent sound?   i.e. sharper sounding transients?

Very curious. . .

Regnad

« Reply #30 on: 28 Oct 2012, 10:38 pm »
Copy/paste of my opinion when asked on diyAudio:

I do not know why the Veritas amps sound so good, my NC400 amps were put together very basically and still sounded the best I had heard.

As far as the snickering about price and subtle differences, perhaps I should put my opinion in context. I do NOT hear the differences (improvements?) from things like connectors, metals, pebbles and so many of the other tweeks that I read about. I remember a rather uncomfortable time when a fellow was demonstrating Shakti Hallographs in my living room, exclaiming "Hear that??? Do you hear that?!!!". I didn't. While curious I also remain VERY skeptical of processes like quantum tunneling using 2,000,000 volts tesla coils for fuses.

That said, the Veritas amps completely redefine my ideas of what my speakers are capable of. I listened to everything from internet radio streaming to SACDs directly from the BD player to the amps. Add the efficiency and other attributes and I am thrilled.

Oh, other amps I've recently owned were Parasound JC-1, CJ LP276M and the NC400s.

So, the sound... All the buzzwords, I guess. Deathly quiet, palpable room loading, unbelievable low end control, amazing detail extraction without stridency, terrific separation of musical lines while still naturally blended, etc.

I also want to say how impressed I am with the physical construction, feels like a solid slab of aluminum, internal layout is clean and gives the modules the best possible environment.

Finally, I do plan to see if I can tell the difference when I install Quantum SR20 fuses next week, currently the amps have stock NC400 fuses in them. I almost hope I don't (I wonder if that sentiment will affect my perception?).

jonbee

« Reply #31 on: 28 Oct 2012, 10:48 pm »
Regnad, thanks for the detail. While no opinions here are gospel, I value every serious contribution. Let us know how those fuses work out.

seadogs1

« Reply #32 on: 28 Oct 2012, 10:59 pm »
Regnad, to your impression of the Merrill Audio amps my questions remain, Are they MUSICAL, how do they image, hows the soundstage you get the idea. Please respond I'm considering a pair. Thanks!

jtwrace

• www.theintellectualpeoplepodcast.com
    • TIPP YouTube Channel
« Reply #33 on: 28 Oct 2012, 11:02 pm »
Regnad, to your impression of the Merrill Audio amps my questions remain, Are they MUSICAL, how do they image, hows the soundstage you get the idea. Please respond I'm considering a pair. Thanks!
Yes, the Acoustic Imagery ATSAH amps do all those things extremely well.  Very Very Musical too.  I couldn't be happier.   :thumb:

Also, the casework is second to none. 

OzarkTom

« Reply #34 on: 28 Oct 2012, 11:22 pm »
On my system, the Atsah's are warmer, smoother, more open and holographic, and a bigger soundstage. They are also more musical than the Ncore 400's. Actually from top to bottom these are better at my house. As for weight, these are 3-4 times heavier than the NC400's.

I still had my usual AC glare problems here on Fiday night and could not play them, but Thursday night and late Saturday night I played these amps for three hours straight at loud levels and never heard any AC glare.

The 6moons review is one review that you can bank on if you are interested in Atsah's. Santa, all I need is a pair of Atsah mono amps for Christmas. And add one of those Apple mini Ipads.
 :thumb:

Regnad

« Reply #35 on: 29 Oct 2012, 12:04 am »
Does anyone know why the Atsah uses the Hypex soft-start module?   I remember reading that the SMPS700 already had that "built-in".

jhm731

« Reply #36 on: 29 Oct 2012, 12:17 am »
Does anyone know why the Atsah uses the Hypex soft-start module?   I remember reading that the SMPS700 already had that "built-in".

If you look at the picture I posted above, you can see the Hypex soft-start module board.

acousticimagery

• Industry Participant
    • ACOUSTICIMAGERY
« Reply #37 on: 29 Oct 2012, 12:38 am »

Hi Regnad

It's simply a very convenient way to bring the mains into the case and has the options to use a switch or a pushbutton and an LED all on the same board and it adds next to nothing to the cost of parts.

Cheers

John

Regnad

« Reply #38 on: 29 Oct 2012, 04:52 am »
John,

Thanks very much for explaining and good luck with your venture.

Rclark

« Reply #39 on: 29 Oct 2012, 09:57 am »
Could you guys please add some more details to your reviews?

In what ways specifically do you consider the NC1200 better than the NC400?

the bass, the midrange, treble?

For example, the clarity,  or the absence of background intermod distortion "noise" is already world-class on the NC400

So if I had to guess, perhaps the NC1200 has a more coherent sound?   i.e. sharper sounding transients?

Very curious. . .

A) The Mola Mola isn't out yet so there isn't yet the definitive NC1200 amp, as gorgeous sexy as the Atsah's are.

B) until someone can compare a Mola Mola and bridged pair of NC400's, it's all speculation. People seem to forget the formidable bridged 400 in the newness of the new 12's. Now the reports of the NC400's sound quality are well documented. The reports on the NC1200 are nebulous and laced with suspicion,by comparison. Terse, questionable, highly incomplete. Better, or voiced, indeed. There is yet no definitive answer.