Perfect Nimbus?

EdRo

Perfect Nimbus?
« on: 26 Jul 2015, 12:55 am »
Well, I've a build well under way that includes 3 pairs of Nimbus and another set of Uber Aurora. One set of Nimbus will be the white version, and the other two will have the Joule top section with the bigger Raal. The 15" woofer will be the Audio Technology flex unit sandwich cone. I think these will sound amazing!!! To be continued.

Tomy2Tone

Re: Perfect Nimbus?
« Reply #1 on: 26 Jul 2015, 01:31 am »
Is the Uber Aurora cabinet any bigger or different than the original Aurora?

And please tell me you are building these Uber Aurora's for Ryan so he can showcase them at RMAF... :D

EdRo

« Reply #2 on: 26 Jul 2015, 02:16 am »
I'm not sure what will be featured at RMAF, but I do know that Vapor will have the same big room that we had last year. There is a foyer that will hopefully give us the room to show off the new Uber Aurora and Perfect Nimbus. Who knows what'll happen afterhours?

Folsom

« Reply #3 on: 26 Jul 2015, 02:25 am »
Are those just the skins?

EdRo

« Reply #4 on: 26 Jul 2015, 02:36 am »
Oh ya. By the time my inner layer hardens, the sides are over an inch thick. They've fallen off a truck on the street and not broken. I've designed them to resist flex, and they're as stiff as I can build and still be, um...move-able. I'm still one tired pup after moving them around all day.

jtwrace

• www.theintellectualpeoplepodcast.com
    • TIPP YouTube Channel
« Reply #5 on: 26 Jul 2015, 02:38 am »
I've designed them to resist flex, and they're as stiff as I can build and still be, um...move-able.
So you're the designer not Ryan? 

EdRo

« Reply #6 on: 26 Jul 2015, 03:28 am »
I drew up the original shape. Ryan and Pete both had input to make Nimbus the way it looks now. The Aurora and Nimbus are stress panel construction. Ryans Cirrus, Joule, etc. are stacked ply construction.

Pete Schumacher

• Industry Participant
  • It's all in the pursuit
    • Vapor Audio
« Reply #7 on: 26 Jul 2015, 04:45 am »
The Nimbus is an evolution of my personal speakers.  Ed built me a set of cabinets back in 2010 that were fitted with a 12" woofer, 5" mid and 1" dome tweeter along with a 15" passive radiator.  Ed, Ryan and I liked the result so much that we started planning on how to incorporate a variant into the lineup, and Nimbus was the result. 

Here's the original, more diminutive version I dubbed "Byzantium" at the time of their completion.  Of course, Ed being the viking at heart that he is, they had to be scaled up to be a proper Vapor design.  The Nimbus is a little over double the enclosure volume of Byzantium, feature a 15" woofer instead of the 12" and are a full 8dB more sensitive.

It goes without saying that I am very excited to see Ed putting together these latest models.  The "Perfect" or "Uber" Nimbus will be a melding of the Joule and Perfect Storm, utilizing the same driver compliment for the mid and tweeter in Joule and the incredible AT woofer of Perfect Storm.

Tomy2Tone

« Reply #8 on: 26 Jul 2015, 10:10 pm »
I'm not sure what will be featured at RMAF, but I do know that Vapor will have the same big room that we had last year. There is a foyer that will hopefully give us the room to show off the new Uber Aurora and Perfect Nimbus. Who knows what'll happen afterhours?

Sweet! If there is an after hours session I want to be there.

bladesmith

• water quenching steel since 2001....
    • palmer knives
« Reply #9 on: 26 Jul 2015, 11:05 pm »
very interesting stuff... :thumb:

Vapor Audio

• Industry Participant
  • Building Audio Bling since 2007
    • Vapor Audio
« Reply #10 on: 27 Jul 2015, 02:04 am »
Nice work Ed!  We're all looking forward to hearing the first Perfect Nimbus.  And while it won't be listed on our website as an 'official' option, it will be something we offer to interested persons ... along with any number of other custom builds. 

So you're the designer not Ryan?

Fortunately Ed and Pete are both very talented on their own, because there's no possible way I could accomplish all that has been accomplished on my own!  Individually each of us had success, together we're unbeatable  :thumb:

EdRo

« Reply #11 on: 7 Aug 2015, 05:20 pm »
Hey, sorry Tommy2Tone! I missed your question about the Aurora. I do plan on increasing the overall height of the new Aurora because the increased size of the upgraded woofer needs more room. It'll be 2" taller, with most of that going under that woofer.

Tomy2Tone

« Reply #12 on: 28 Sep 2015, 09:22 pm »

Are the Perfect Nimbus and Uber Auroras still a possibility to make a showing at RMAF?

Pete Schumacher

• Industry Participant
  • It's all in the pursuit
    • Vapor Audio
« Reply #13 on: 29 Sep 2015, 05:25 am »
Are the Perfect Nimbus and Uber Auroras still a possibility to make a showing at RMAF?

Not this time around.  In all likelihood, AXPONA will be the show where they make a public debut.

audioengr

« Reply #14 on: 21 Nov 2015, 08:10 pm »
Ed - can you give us update photos on the Nimbus?

Steve N.
Empirical Audio

jtwrace

• www.theintellectualpeoplepodcast.com
    • TIPP YouTube Channel
« Reply #15 on: 21 Nov 2015, 08:11 pm »
Ed - can you give us update photos on the Nimbus?

Steve N.
Empirical Audio
Did you get yours yet?  It's been a few years already. 

audioengr

« Reply #16 on: 22 Nov 2015, 05:28 am »
Did you get yours yet?  It's been a few years already.

Not yet.  I believe mine are some of those shown under construction above.

Steve N.

toddc2

• That dog sure loves beer
« Reply #17 on: 22 Nov 2015, 01:58 pm »
Not yet.  I believe mine are some of those shown under construction above.

Steve N.

Did the Professor run out of flux capacitors?