Thoughts/Advice on Class D and MiniDSP for M3TM?

jachinboazicus

Thoughts/Advice on Class D and MiniDSP for M3TM?
« on: 22 Feb 2020, 04:42 pm »
The lights went out on my trusty Marantz 4300 a few weeks back, and while its still functioning fine (aside from the lights), i'm looking into going a new route.

Current rig:

2018 Macbook Pro > Schiit Modi DAC > Marantz 4300 > Spatial Audio M3 Triode Master speaker

Also : Rega P3 > Schiit Mani > Marantz

I've read a bit about using a MiniDSP and high-power class d monoblocks to bring out the Spatials, and it has me interested. I was mulling over going into tube gear, but experimenting with DSP/class-d options seems a more affordable approach.

The NuPrime STA-9 has been recommended, and it looks like a great option to me.

Schitt's Saga S pre amp seems a reasonable option.

Would love to hear any thoughts about going this route, and thoughts on the individual components. I'd prefer to keep it under $2K until i'm sold on the DSP/Class-D route.

BBess

Re: Thoughts/Advice on Class D and MiniDSP for M3TM?
« Reply #1 on: 24 Feb 2020, 10:58 pm »
Hi

I have a pair of
Spatial Audio Hologram M3 Turbo S
being driven by a Bel Canto  eVo2i a digital tripath amp, the basic technology behind the highly regarded eVo2  combined with Bel Canto's PRE6 preamplifier.

"120Wpc into 8 ohms and 200Wpc into 4 ohms" via
Tripath's digital-amplification module.

I've also tried a Sony 125 wpc receiver,
and recently a pair of Jeb DePaiva designed 6c33b based tube SE monoblocs rated at 18 wpc

The BelCanto Amp was Way Way better than the Sony Receiver. Very tubelike tonality, no digital grain, fast, agile and with a powerful grip especially in the bass.

While not in the same class in the lifelike mids and glare free treble that the tube monoblocs provided, it is very close, with more authority in the Bass. The digital amp is also surprisingly three dimensional.

For the price in the used market, it is tough to beat. I'm saving for the tube units but will never sell the BelCanto. its that good.

jachinboazicus

« Reply #2 on: 28 Feb 2020, 05:43 pm »
Looked into the Bel Canto, and that seems like a cool piece of gear.

Do you manually adjust the DSP/use REW, or was it just an internal component?

Wondering how that effected the headroom--i've been told that using DSP necessitates big ( >200 watt/channel) power to get the most out of DSP.

While my M3TM's definitely SLAM, i'm 100% interested if I can take them further.

My Marantz 4300 is rated at 100wpc, and its definitely a ballsy 100wpc compared to other similar amps that I've heard. That said, looking into going with some new tech.

Tjm5015

« Reply #3 on: 28 Feb 2020, 08:35 pm »
I've been using a minidsp shd, cherry DAC TL to cherry maraschino ILM with my spatial M5s. The sound is incredible. Had to watch the for used market as this can be a costly setup but there are plenty of class d options in your budget.

I thought I would be giving something up using the minidsp shd as a preamp as the volume control is digital but it worked out very well and the bass management using Dirac is very useful. 

BBess

« Reply #4 on: 29 Feb 2020, 09:54 pm »
No DSP in the system, just the BelCanto amp. Older Apogee mini DAC for source.  I also have a pioneer SC-25 receiver using ICE power in another system, driving Magnepan mmgs, also very tube-like, three dimensional, with big grip on the bass. I think it is 140 wpc and a steal used on ebay. Older receiver tech but the DAC is decent and the ICE amps are great. Esp. for the money. 

jachinboazicus

« Reply #5 on: 1 Mar 2020, 04:14 pm »
I've been using a minidsp shd, cherry DAC TL to cherry maraschino ILM with my spatial M5s. The sound is incredible. Had to watch the for used market as this can be a costly setup but there are plenty of class d options in your budget.

I thought I would be giving something up using the minidsp shd as a preamp as the volume control is digital but it worked out very well and the bass management using Dirac is very useful.

What kind of volumes are you listening at? I've been told that using the DSP requires a lot more power/headroom, so i've been looking at various class-D monoblock amps at 200-300 watts.

Are you happy with the Cherry amp/DAC? Clayton specifically mentioned that as an option for my room, and while I like how small and clean they are, i'm worried that i'll need more power.

Curious--did you ever run the M5's on a non-DSP system? If so, what improved with DSP?

Wind Chaser

« Reply #6 on: 1 Mar 2020, 04:36 pm »
Are you happy with the Cherry amp/DAC? Clayton specifically mentioned that as an option for my room, and while I like how small and clean they are, I'm worried that I'll need more power.

I don't know which Cherry amp / amps you're referring to but you'll have no problem reaching concert hall volumes in your home. Clayton wouldn't make anything less than a solid recommendation. :thumb:

Tjm5015

« Reply #7 on: 1 Mar 2020, 09:39 pm »
What kind of volumes are you listening at? I've been told that using the DSP requires a lot more power/headroom, so i've been looking at various class-D monoblock amps at 200-300 watts.

Are you happy with the Cherry amp/DAC? Clayton specifically mentioned that as an option for my room, and while I like how small and clean they are, i'm worried that i'll need more power.

Curious--did you ever run the M5's on a non-DSP system? If so, what improved with DSP?
Very happy with the cherry amps. I've been using the in line marachino originally with the M3 Turbo S and now the M5s. The marachinos are really fantastic with great grip on the bass and a real effortless and musical sound. Before the minidsp I was using a LTA microzotl m2 which was great and "DC coupled" like Tommy O'Brien recommends. There was however a big leap in mid-range and detail feeding the marachinos directly with the DAC and using the minidsp for volume control.

I am using the king version of the marachinos so 200W into 8 ohms and have plenty of headroom. I am only using DSP below 200 hz and bass definition and overall imaging has improved.

Wind Chaser

« Reply #8 on: 2 Mar 2020, 12:37 am »
There was however a big leap in mid-range and detail feeding the marachinos directly with the DAC and using the minidsp for volume control.

Are you using one of Tommy's DACs?

Tjm5015

« Reply #9 on: 2 Mar 2020, 03:09 am »
Are you using one of Tommy's DACs?

Yes the DAC TL.

jachinboazicus

« Reply #10 on: 2 Mar 2020, 06:16 pm »
Very happy with the cherry amps. I've been using the in line marachino originally with the M3 Turbo S and now the M5s. The marachinos are really fantastic with great grip on the bass and a real effortless and musical sound. Before the minidsp I was using a LTA microzotl m2 which was great and "DC coupled" like Tommy O'Brien recommends. There was however a big leap in mid-range and detail feeding the marachinos directly with the DAC and using the minidsp for volume control.

I am using the king version of the marachinos so 200W into 8 ohms and have plenty of headroom. I am only using DSP below 200 hz and bass definition and overall imaging has improved.

You have me seriously leaning towards the Cherry route. Biggest hesitation is that i'll have to switch over to XLR/balanced cables. That said, i'm considering doing the ILM Maraschinos, and possibly a Schiit Freya S as a pre to keep things somewhat in my planned budget. The freya would also accommodate my RCA gear like my TV, reel to reel, and turntable.

Biggest Q at this point is whether I should do the 60 or 48-volt ILM? Part of me says may as well, but it is an additional $1100. Why'd you go with the King version?

Thanks for the response.

Tjm5015

« Reply #11 on: 2 Mar 2020, 08:03 pm »
I went with the King marachino because I found a great deal on a used one. Tommy has periodic sales and I think one is currently going on. You could look into his Marachino STM if you don't need multiple inputs or use one with a input switch. The king version retails for $1700. You could go directly from balanced DAC to the STM but would have to do dsp in the digital domain before hand

jachinboazicus

« Reply #12 on: 23 Mar 2020, 10:00 pm »
I don't know which Cherry amp / amps you're referring to but you'll have no problem reaching concert hall volumes in your home. Clayton wouldn't make anything less than a solid recommendation. :thumb:

I'm a bit further down the decision path, and wanted to get your take on Schiit vs Cherry.

Simply, talk me into why I should do the King Maraschino's over a couple of Schiit Vidars. Basically a class-a/b vs class-d Q from my understanding, but i'm a bit out of my depth.

Wind Chaser

« Reply #13 on: 23 Mar 2020, 10:49 pm »
Have you read any comparisons between the "Schiit Vidars" and various tube amps? That might be a good starting point to the answer of your question.

I was a big proponent single ended triodes, but that all changed once and for all with the Maraschinos. I have heard and owned other Class D amps but the Maraschinos are unlike everything things else. They don't sound like tubes or SS or even Class D for that matter. They don't sound like anything. They are the epitomy of stealth.

jachinboazicus

« Reply #14 on: 24 Mar 2020, 01:06 am »
Have you read any comparisons between the "Schiit Vidars" and various tube amps? That might be a good starting point to the answer of your question.

I was a big proponent single ended triodes, but that all changed once and for all with the Maraschinos. I have heard and owned other Class D amps but the Maraschinos are unlike everything things else. They don't sound like tubes or SS or even Class D for that matter. They don't sound like anything. They are the epitomy of stealth.

I'll do some reading on vidar vs tubes, but I get what you're getting at.

Any thoughts on the Cherry 2/3 vs the King ILM? And what about a preamp? Would I be making a mistake with Schiit's Freya S?

Wind Chaser

« Reply #15 on: 24 Mar 2020, 03:31 am »
Any thoughts on the Cherry 2/3 vs the King ILM?

The ILMs are more suited to stand mounts.

And what about a preamp? Would I be making a mistake with Schiit's Freya S?

It depends on what you want? If you’re budget allows it, I’d strongly recommend the Cherry DAC.

MttBsh

« Reply #16 on: 24 Mar 2020, 05:01 am »
You have me seriously leaning towards the Cherry route. Biggest hesitation is that i'll have to switch over to XLR/balanced cables.

I hesitated for this reason too. I've used single ended to XLR adapters in the past and felt they degraded the sound to some degree, but when I decided to go the King Stereo Maraschino (STM) route I popped Tommy's included adapters in and the STM delivers the best sound I've heard from any amp. I don't see any need to replace your single ended interconnects with XLR cables. There's a thread somewhere on this site where Tommy talks about the quality of his adapters.   

morganc

« Reply #17 on: 24 Mar 2020, 05:52 am »
I ran a King  STM with M3TM and it was a great match.  I've owned dozens of tube amps many costing 3-10x of the cost of the STM and I was shocked and how great the combo was!  I've moved on from the M3's now and am considering upgrading to the 2 Cherry. 

Wind Chaser

« Reply #18 on: 24 Mar 2020, 01:21 pm »
I ran a King  STM with M3TM and it was a great match.  I've owned dozens of tube amps many costing 3-10x of the cost of the STM and I was shocked and how great the combo was!  I've moved on from the M3's now and am considering upgrading to the 2 Cherry.

The 48v STM will supply ample power to the TMs. That might leave enough in the OP's budget for a Cherry DAC. That DAC unbeknown to most people is no ordinary DAC, even by far more costly well reverred DAC standards. Combined with the STM it's a double whammy in terms of shock factor.

So Morgan, if you have enough power, I'd strongly recommend putting that extra cash to a Cherry DAC.

dwmaggie

• First memory of music was parents Zenith portable.
« Reply #19 on: 24 Mar 2020, 05:30 pm »
Wind Chaser and the other DAC Cherry fans, you are right in ever way these amps are just amazing.  They lack a signature, sound neutral and the music just seems to erupt from the speakers.  I may have purchased the last 60V King Maraschino Demo last week.  This is my second Maraschino and third DAC amp.  There is nothing in this range or high above that can compare.  I can't afford a 10,000 dollar plus or more amp, and to be honest, sonically may offer little benefit.  The Cherries are not cheap-but you get 2 or 3 times that value for the money.  I run all balanced, and have not tried the adaptors.  This is how music should be amplified.  I listen at very low levels and the details are still there.  Whether a demo or brand new these amplifiers are an awesome value.