Super 7 Flat Packs.....

Captainhemo

Super 7 Flat Packs.....
« on: 3 Aug 2018, 11:09 pm »
Decided to split  this  from the   "Official Super 7 thread....

After working onthe  top section   S7 baffles,/ wings,  we started thinking  about  a  full  cabinet  flat  pack.  took some time to get this  all  fit up but  it came out  good .

We're  looking  at  10  pieces & 18 dowels  per cabinet.   Everything  is  located and aligned  via dowels.  These  would / will use the  same baffle we designed for the  S7 upper section  posted in the  above  mentioned thread ( I'll re-post some of that info here  at some point).   The cabinets should  be slightly  shorter  than the  originals, ,  the bracing has been  slightly beefed up  to match what  we do  in our  servo sub   flalt packs ,  both servo subs  are  facing forward, did up  a new base etc   for a bit of  a different  look.    Basic  kits  will   use all Medex (1.25", 1", and .75") .

Here are a  few  pics:

Wings are  1.25" Medex with  large 1"  roundovers on  outer edge, small .25"  roundover on  inner edge to match inset for grill  frames.

An up close  pic of the  front  and  rear  small,  .25"  grill insets (rear side is  for the  subs,  could  esilly  mount  a grill on  rear of   upper bafle  as  well)

Lots of  dowel holes  !

All components  obviously have corresponding  dowel holes

base is  also  1.25"  Medex with a   nic e little  rounded  step to match  cabinet rouindovers,  something  a bit  differentfrom the norm.

jay

PDR

• May the best man win
Re: Super 7 Flat Packs.....
« Reply #1 on: 3 Aug 2018, 11:20 pm »
Outstanding......I'm glad I already have the servos in a H frame.
Will lesson the "try to convince the wify I deserve this" thing.... :wink:

Tyson

• Audio - It's all a big fake.
« Reply #2 on: 3 Aug 2018, 11:56 pm »
Hawt!!  So glad that others will soon get to experience the awesomeness that is the Super 7.

richidoo

« Reply #3 on: 4 Aug 2018, 12:20 am »
That looks fantastic! Congrats on a great job!

What is Medex?

Will it use electronic crossover or all passive?
Is there compensation planned for the Z offset between woofer and mids?

Thanks!

Captainhemo

« Reply #4 on: 4 Aug 2018, 12:28 am »

What is Medex?

Thanks!

The Super 7's  use a passive network for the  upper (Neo3 in waveguide/neo 10's) section.   The  lower  sub  section  in each is a pair of the  gR SW12 16FR or 08's  driven with the  fully adjustable Rythmik A370PEQ   (active).

Outstanding......I'm glad I already have the servos in a H frame.
Will lesson the "try to convince the wify I deserve this" thing.... :wink:

maybe a road trip to the  Okanagan   at  some point,  once  we  get  a pair built out it'd be cool for you  to hear them 

jay

2bigears

« Reply #5 on: 4 Aug 2018, 12:54 am »
 :D dam nice Jay.  This looks like a keeper.  Do you have kits ready or soon ?  Are the driver kits ready ?  Are the X-overs an easy build ?
     Is there an all in $$ figured out yet ?    :D
          Looks great on the wood pac you did.   :D

ebag4

« Reply #6 on: 4 Aug 2018, 01:07 am »
That looks great Jay, I really like the base detail.  Looking forward to seeing the projects this inspires.

Best,
Ed

mresseguie

• SW1X DAC+ D Sachs 300b + Daedalus Apollos = Heaven
« Reply #7 on: 4 Aug 2018, 01:16 am »

What is Medex?

Thanks!

MEDEX:

No added formaldehyde resin system
Especially suitable in interior applications where moisture is a concern, Medex does succeed in the 6 cycle accelerated aging test
Superior physical properties to standard MDF. Truly high performance screwholding and MOR capabilities, among others
Pre-consumer recycled wood content
FSC® Mix Credit Certified - available option
Potential LEED® 2009 credit support: MRc4, 5, 7 & IEQc4.4
Potential LEED® v4 credit support: Materials & Resources and Indoor Environmental Quality
Meets CARB ATCM 93120 Phase 2 emission limits - CARB NAF Exempt
Third party certification - SCS, ECC
CHPS Compliant - California section 01350 approved
Limitations: Medex is not suitable for structural applications, exterior siding or exterior trim

http://www.roseburg.com/Product/medex/

Captainhemo

« Reply #8 on: 4 Aug 2018, 01:19 am »
:D dam nice Jay.  This looks like a keeper.  Do you have kits ready or soon ?  Are the driver kits ready ?  Are the X-overs an easy build ?
     Is there an all in $$ figured out yet ?    :D
          Looks great on the wood pac you did.   :D

Hey  Pascal
the  networks won't be an overly difficult  built, should be  fairly simple actually.  They are not  finalized, I have to get  Danny that final prototype of the  upper baffle.
I am not  sure  on  flat pack pricing or how  we're  going to do this  at the start.... we may try and sell  a couple pairs of  "pre-order" flat packs ,  would  be nice to  know  there  are some   spoken for before  committing  to    programming    and  cutting.

jay

kingdeezie

« Reply #9 on: 4 Aug 2018, 01:34 am »
Can the flat packs be finished in any way? Would like to get a pair of Super 7s eventually, but I have no way to finish the flat packs in any meaningful way.

2bigears

« Reply #10 on: 4 Aug 2018, 02:10 am »
 :D always always always been interested in this speaker. Your amp can be micro which saves.
           Standing by,, you price setters be nice to us poor folk now,  ha .  Thanks Jay,, Fires again in the Okie ?
  Dam ..    :D

Captainhemo

« Reply #11 on: 4 Aug 2018, 02:29 am »
Can the flat packs be finished in any way? Would like to get a pair of Super 7s eventually, but I have no way to finish the flat packs in any meaningful way.

We can do finished cabinets  as well but the box size  grows consderably.  Finishing can vary in cost  greatly too,  we can   even offer  House of Kolor   automotive finish which is  stunning  but   spendy.

don't think I'd  be too keen  on sending out   painted flat pakcs  (unassembled), I'd be too worried about   scratching  the  panels
jay

Danny Richie

« Reply #12 on: 4 Aug 2018, 03:10 pm »

Thanks!

The filters for the upper drivers will all be passive.

The driver offset between the Neo's and the servo subs are a non-factor. At the 200Hz crossover point the wavelengths are five and a half feet long. So the six inch offset is barely even five degrees of phase rotation.  And that is easily compensated for with the phase control knob on the servo amp.

PDR

• May the best man win
« Reply #13 on: 4 Aug 2018, 08:38 pm »
maybe a road trip to the  Okanagan   at  some point,  once  we  get  a pair built out it'd be cool for you  to hear them 
jay

My brother inlaw just bought a new spread in Summer Land....I'd be honoured.

Captainhemo

« Reply #14 on: 4 Aug 2018, 09:42 pm »
My brother inlaw just bought a new spread in Summer Land....I'd be honoured.

That  works, about   1/2 hr  from  here

Here's  a few more pics..... I got rid of the  feature/edge outlines and added a bit of color, looks  a bit more "real"

jay

gregfisk

• Restricted
  • Us alone in the universe? sure is a waste of SPACE
« Reply #15 on: 5 Aug 2018, 07:40 pm »
These look really good Jay, I just wish I could make mine work. Ruben did such a good job it just wouldn't make sense to strip the servo subs out of them.

AKLegal

« Reply #16 on: 5 Aug 2018, 09:44 pm »
I'm definitely interested in these.   :green:

Hear Clifford Brown

« Reply #17 on: 5 Aug 2018, 11:42 pm »
I'm very interested also !!   :D

gregfisk

• Restricted
  • Us alone in the universe? sure is a waste of SPACE
« Reply #18 on: 6 Aug 2018, 08:31 pm »
Jay, Looking at the front of the top section how tall is it from top edge to the bottom and how wide?

Thanks,

Greg

Rivalaudio

« Reply #19 on: 6 Aug 2018, 08:57 pm »
$? Any ideas as to what we are going to be paying for these guys? Also curious on the height on the speaker and the height of the tweeter level.