Modded touch versus entry level CD player

golfugh

• Dead Can Dance - Into the Labyrinth
Re: Modded touch versus entry level CD player
« Reply #20 on: 9 Apr 2011, 11:12 pm »
If you have a wireless network in home:  iPeng for iPhone, etc.;  Squeezecommander if you have an Andriod

mikecole

« Reply #21 on: 10 Apr 2011, 02:30 am »
Phil, I see it now - Web Remote Control   :duh:

I don't have iPhone or iPad or iPod or iAnything so the iPeng isn't going to do me much good, although it sounds pretty cool. My mobil phone only does one thing - sends and receives calls.

The Marantz SA8004 and the Cambridge 740C both do 24/96, but are a bit too expensive at the present time. Maybe a used one next year? Or maybe by then I will be totally PC dependent.

After using dbpoweramp to rip a few CDs to FLAC, I am warmimg more towards the idea of doing the mods. It is hard to tear yourself away from the umbilical cord though ( I just finished watching Splice).

lcrim

« Reply #22 on: 10 Apr 2011, 04:25 am »
mikecole:
Did you ever install SqueezeBox Server by downloading it from Logitech to a pc and then installing it there? 
The USB port on the Touch will recognize music files on a USB flash drive or a USB HDD. The Tiny server that runs on the Touch will first index those files and will play them but the quality will be lower than actually loading SqueezeBox Server on a pc and then connecting the Touch to the pc running the SqueezeBox Server and having a music library that it sends to the Touch over your home network either via ethernet or wifi.  Mysqueezebox.com can connect directly to your Touch and is how you get internet radio. (change library)
Perhaps the reason you can't connect to the server on port 9000 is because that server doesn't yet exist.  The good news is that when your Touch is configured to get its music from the full server it will sound much better

mikecole

« Reply #23 on: 10 Apr 2011, 11:50 am »
Larry, downloading SB server to my PC was the first thing I did, since one my main priorities was to play music from my hard drive. Since finding "Web Remote Control", there is no longer a need to find port 9000. However, I was thinking that it would still be nice to be able to flip on Internet radio without having to turn on my PC to be able to select a station, so the screen blanking tweak may still not be exactly what I want.