Reference 3, A-60 and A-120 at CES

HarleyMYK

« on: 10 Jan 2004, 07:27 pm »
I briefly met Mark and several principals from China - including the developer of the Reference Series.

Although I got to listen to the Reference 3, it was impossible to tell what it sounded like.  The room was way too tiny, totally crowded with gear, and there was a ton of noise coming from next door.  As I told the developer:  Speaker so big, room so small.

You can link here to browse through the Onix booth, as well as the other motley CES photos I took:
Onix Photos

eico1

« Reply #1 on: 11 Jan 2004, 01:06 am »
I guess that wasn't Dick Pierce you were talking too, unless you like getting odd looks.

steve

Sa-dono

« Reply #2 on: 11 Jan 2004, 01:20 am »
He was talking to Mr. Pu, one of the owners of Onix, most likely. Dick Pierce designed the Rockets, and Thierry Compte designed the Ref's.

Nice pics Mike!

HarleyMYK

« Reply #3 on: 11 Jan 2004, 05:20 am »
I think it was Mr. Pu, at any rate he spoke Mandarin and did not laugh at me when I tried a little with him.  After I complemented Mark on the Reference 1, Mark introduced him as the developer of the Reference 1.

Sa-dono

« Reply #4 on: 11 Jan 2004, 07:00 am »
Quote from: HarleyMYK
After I complemented Mark on the Reference 1, Mark introduced him as the developer of the Reference 1.

Well he did develop them, in getting them into production. Thierry is still the key designer. Mr. Pu may have made some design changes, and I believe he was at least partially responsible for the MK II changes. So of course Mark is correct.

lkosova

• http://www.AutomatedHomeandBusiness.com
« Reply #5 on: 21 Jan 2004, 02:33 am »
Hi,

I am not sure what speakers I listened to in the "reference room" but they were the small "reference" on the stands. I thought they had a great sound and alot of clean bass. I kept asking where the sub was!!!

Yea, the room was small etc.etc but it's CES so you have to take it with a grain of salt.

For the money I thought that the small ones were a great value. I actually liked them more then the large reference floor speakers.

I thought these were the most underrated speakers at the show!!!!

Larry

Mad DOg

« Reply #6 on: 21 Jan 2004, 05:12 am »
Quote from: lkosova
Hi,

I am not sure what speakers I listened to in the "reference room" but they were the small "reference" on the stands. I thought they had a great sound and alot of clean bass. I kept asking where the sub was!!!

Yea, the room was small etc.etc but it's CES so you have to take it with a grain of salt.

For the money I thought that the small ones were a great value. I actually liked them more then the large reference floor speakers.

I thought these were the most underrated speakers at the show!!!!

Larry
Hello Larry,

It was nice meeting you at CES...:)

Those would be the Reference 1s...the same speakers I use in my 2 channel system!  And yes, I agree that they are a great value and were definitely underrated! In fact, after hearing all those mega dollar systems at CES, I arrived home on Sunday night and realized the one of the best sounds I heard all weekend long was right in my own room!  :lol: