What to upgrade to

davehg

• http://musicserver.blogspot.com
What to upgrade to
« on: 31 Jul 2008, 08:38 pm »
Been enjoying Wayne's SB3 digital mods with the Deluxe PS and upgraded DC wire (nitro) and Jensens for over two years now, and turned my attention to upgrading the rest of the system, slowly but surely. Since then, only the cables, SB3 & DAC, & subwoofer remain, everything else has been changed. now my attention is turning once again to my source.

Current system is detailed below. The biggest change is the preamp, which really resolved lots of "problems", and the amp now provides more power and dynamics without losing the special virtues of triode power. The Aesthetix Calypso preamp really is a gem, and I am just getting acquainted with its charms. Plus, sure nice to have a remote control!

As far as upgrading my source, my options (in order of preference and potential cost) are:

1.(a) Send the Deluxe to Wayne and have him work his mojo on the power supply. Cost?
1(b) Send the SB3 and PS to Wayne for the full monte analog and PS upgrades. Ditch the DAC. Cost: ?
2. Ditch the SB3 and PS and MF Trivista and get a transporter. I've compared with the current rig, and the Transporter is very close to the Trivista (which I consider a really good DAC). Maybe keep the DAC too. Cost: $1300-2000 (but minus the SB3 and maybe the DAC, so perhaps even)
3. Really piss off my spouse and spend way too much on a ModWright transporter (is there such a thing as too many tubed components?) Cost: $3600 (but minus the SB3 and the DAC, so probably $1500-2000?)
4. Something else? Like a high end USB dac (Wavelength?) Cost is unknown.

Wayne and the rest of the Circle, what say you? Like everyone, I want to keep a reign on costs, and I am already starting with some great source components. I've been happy with Bolder mods, lots of value for the $$$. What will I really hear with option 1? And I forgot the Duet option....

Wayne1

Re: What to upgrade to
« Reply #1 on: 31 Jul 2008, 09:58 pm »
Hello Dave,

Good to hear from you again.

There are lots of options available to you. You can do the upgrades gradually or go for everything at once to get the break-in out of the way.

You can upgrade your power supply some more. The Nirvana regulator will give you faster leading edge transients and more dynamics. That would cost about $500.00. The Summit DC cable is also a bit "faster" and it does throw a wider soundstage.

If you decide to keep your DAC, I can add another regulator section to your power supply for just the digital section of the SB3. This would remove most of the influence the internal switching power supply has on the output signal. I would also have to do some more mods to the SB3 for this. This mod would be about $350-400.00

If you decide to get analog mods I would go with the V-caps in the output section. I would have to see the SB3 to see exactly what level of mods are in it right now. Ball park pricing would be about $500.00.

I have not heard a ModWright Transporter directly compared to one of my high end SB mods with Ultimate PS. I have heard a stock Transporter. IMO the modded SB3 and Ultimate sound quite a bit "better". Adding in a BOLDER or modded Burson Buffer just turns everything up some more.

SuperMart

« Reply #2 on: 1 Aug 2008, 08:40 am »
Hi Dave (and Wayne!),

Dave I recently had Wayne mod my SB2 to near Statement level with the V Caps and he included the regulator splitter for the digital circuit at the same time. After a solid month of 24/7 burn in (yes it really does need that much) I can tell you the results are super.The noise floor is markedly better than before and those V Caps really are the business. I run the analogue output direct into an Aspen Maya power amp and Hugh Dean (the amp designer) proclaimed the sound "Amazing" and I agree.

I don't really have the urge to do anything more to my front end right now except that I'd like to get a Felix (or two) into the system somewhere. I should add that I also have a stock Burson Buffer in the chain, Reality speaker cables, Grover SC IC's and Black Sand power cables.

Hope that helps your decision making.

Cheers,

davehg

• http://musicserver.blogspot.com
How big is the Nirvana regulator
« Reply #3 on: 2 Aug 2008, 05:10 am »
I read the details of the regulator on Wayne's site, is this a large piece or small? Post some pics?

Wayne, based on initial comments, I would probably focus first on upgrading my deluxe PS to something more serious, with this Nirvana thingy and maybe some Summit DC cable. Probably try that out for a while before I send the SB3 back for the Nirvana mods (you already did the digital mods).  I think I want to keep the Trivista DAC for a while, it sounds very musical and has an incredible regulated PS and great DACS.

Wayne1

« Reply #4 on: 2 Aug 2008, 02:45 pm »
The Nirvana regulator is built on a 2.5" x 3" circuit board. There will have to be a few holes drilled in the bottom of the case to mount it.

Hugh Dean is preferring to keep the circuit proprietary. He has encapsulated most of the parts so there is nothing to really see.

There may be a few other things that can be done to the power supply. I would be able to let you know exactly once the unit is in Colorado.