SqueezeBox Rebox

JoshK

Re: SqueezeBox Rebox
« Reply #20 on: 29 Feb 2008, 02:55 pm »
Wayne,
You might want to experiment with a Felix like power filter.  You might just like what you hear.  I am sure some of your customers would like it if they were able to have someone to do it for them.   
Just a thought...Josh

Wayne1

« Reply #21 on: 29 Feb 2008, 03:42 pm »
Hello Josh,

I would be very interested in experimenting with the Felix conditioner.

When I get caught up with some of the other projects I have going, I had planned on ordering in some of the parts to build a couple.

If Occam grants permission, and it sounds as good as most people have described, it may become an option in the power supplies I build.

Maybe even a stand alone unit to use with other PS.

BRN

« Reply #22 on: 29 Feb 2008, 04:24 pm »
Part of the noise created by the display is involved with the 55 volt switching supply. This will be removed in the Receiver. The receiver will still use the same wireless card used in the SB2,3, and Transporter, I believe. If you use wired ethernet, the wireless card will not receive any power, so no noise.

Wayne,

I had to use an external wireless Ethernet adapter, because I had a bad noise problem with the internal card. When I use the Ethernet connector the noise goes way. I was unable to run a CAT5 cable from my router, so the only thing I could do was to connect my SB2 to a Buffalo wireless Ethernet adapter and placed it in a different location. There is no noise and the adapter works great. I can also connect other devices to the adapter.

Wayne,
You might want to experiment with a Felix like power filter.  You might just like what you hear.  I am sure some of your customers would like it if they were able to have someone to do it for them.   
Just a thought...Josh

I built a Felix and use it with my Bolder PS. The PS I have was upgraded from the basic rev1. It has the 4 pole Jensen's with the different values to accommodate the case size. It has been a few months since I have listened to my system since I have been a little tied up serving a year in Iraq, but from what I remember the sound floor seemed to be lower and better sound stage. When I get back I plan to try some different CMCs to see what effect they will have on the sound.

Brad

Folsom

« Reply #23 on: 5 Mar 2008, 01:20 am »
Part of the noise created by the display is involved with the 55 volt switching supply. This will be removed in the Receiver. The receiver will still use the same wireless card used in the SB2,3, and Transporter, I believe. If you use wired ethernet, the wireless card will not receive any power, so no noise.

Now that is an interesting idea for something anyone can do!

mcgsxr

« Reply #24 on: 5 Mar 2008, 02:23 am »
I use my Rev 1 with Jensen's with a Felicia, which I believe is the spiritual predecessor to the Felix.  It is not being removed from my system, that is for sure!

whubbard

« Reply #25 on: 31 Mar 2008, 04:36 am »
This is not something that will be done overnight. It will be a long haul. A very rough guestimate of the faceplate and chassis would be $500.00. That could end up being off by quite a bit. That would just be for the parts. No mods. A completely tricked out SB in a new box with high end power supplies, clocks and tube stage could end up over $6000.00.

$6000.00... YIKES!

I have been following your SB3 mods with great interest, but this seems crazy. For $6000 wouldn't you be better off just building a computer, you could even make it passively cooled, so no fan, and then using a great DAC.
With a 1TB hard drive, and a good sound card for outputting in digital, that would maybe cost $1000-$1500 if you do it youself, and you'll have a big screen, which leaves open many many choices for what to display. That then leaves $4500-$5000 for a DAC.

I just can't see how a SB3 could ever be better that the option above, therefore, I would say a $6000 SB3 is pretty silly.

I hate how my first post in the bolder circle is a bit negative, especially because I think the work you are doing on the SB3, and now the Duet is wonderful, but I really felt I should say something.

Any thoughts?

-West

JEaton

« Reply #26 on: 31 Mar 2008, 05:01 am »
I just can't see how a SB3 could ever be better that the option above, therefore, I would say a $6000 SB3 is pretty silly.

I hate how my first post in the bolder circle is a bit negative, especially because I think the work you are doing on the SB3, and now the Duet is wonderful, but I really felt I should say something.

Any thoughts?

Yeah, it stretches the boundaries of common sense into all new territory.  Could also start with the far superior Transporter, although putting $4k into that platform is also way over the top.

Then again... if someone is willing to shell out $6k on mods for a $300 piece of equipment, it's their money... Caveat emptor and all that.

ctviggen

« Reply #27 on: 31 Mar 2008, 11:15 am »
6,000 is expensive, but that's for a tube output stage and basically replaced everything along with a new box.  I have one of Wayne's modded SBs and it cost a lot less than that, and has still beat everything I have in terms of DACs, tube-based CD players, and transports.

Folsom

« Reply #28 on: 1 Apr 2008, 06:34 am »
I guess the question is how much of the $6000 is "diminishing returns" for amount invested past a certain point? I am wondering if a lot of the money could forgo with just superior AC line conditioning, and perhaps DC...

Frankly I think the diminishing returns factor will be pretty small and it will only get better and better.... Not that I will ever know :) . $$$$$ It is just hard to think of a small thing becoming so elaborate without loosing what you started with. However in inquiring in making his completely own design of a SB functioning device, it simply seems to complicated, time investment ridiculous, and resources extensive, to really consider.

If $6000 does sound better, Wayne will let you know, and it will if he says so... I mean I would buy three or four of the modded SB's before a Wadia cd player at the same price!

Wayne1

« Reply #29 on: 11 Jun 2008, 10:41 pm »
The Rebox project has been slowly moving along.

It just got a BIG kick in the butt.

Denny has sent me a few shots of his redesigned front panel for the SB3

I should have the new faceplates here by the end of the month.

The new clock is ready to be installed. I have a BOLDER Buffer board ready to go in one and just have to order in some parts for the tube output version.

With any luck, there will be a few of these at RMAF  :wink:

JEaton

« Reply #30 on: 11 Jun 2008, 10:51 pm »
Very nice.  My preference would be a nice, straightforward brushed aluminum faceplate, but those are very well done.

I'm surprised that you don't take the opportunity to place a power on/off switch on the front of the box.  Something, IMO, that is sorely missing from the Squeezebox. Nothing ticks me off more than having to unplug the Squeezebox to reset it, rather than being able to use a simple power switch.

JoshK

« Reply #31 on: 12 Jun 2008, 02:49 am »
Love those faceplates....he really did an excellent job!

zybar

• Volunteer
  • Dutch and Dutch 8C's…yes they are that good!
« Reply #32 on: 12 Jun 2008, 10:49 am »
The Rebox project has been slowly moving along.

It just got a BIG kick in the butt.

Denny has sent me a few shots of his redesigned front panel for the SB3

I should have the new faceplates here by the end of the month.

The new clock is ready to be installed. I have a BOLDER Buffer board ready to go in one and just have to order in some parts for the tube output version.

With any luck, there will be a few of these at RMAF  :wink:

Looking very good Wayne!   :thumb:

I can't wait to see and hear this at RMAF.

George

brj

« Reply #33 on: 13 Jun 2008, 12:10 am »
Looks really good, Wayne!  It provides an attractive, clean look, and the understated logo on the lower left adds a nice touch.

Hmmm... Google says I'm 5.3 miles away from you, so if you ever want to test that little guy in another system, feel free to give me a call! :D  (Or at least, give me a call in a few months when I'm actually moved in and have my rig up and running again.)

Wayne1

« Reply #34 on: 13 Jun 2008, 12:38 am »
Brian,

Congrats on finally getting a house! Let me know where you are and if you need some help moving in. It's the least I can do after you helped me move out of RMAF last year.

I'll let you know when I get one of these bad boys up and running.

George and Josh,

Thanks for the comments. The Rebox and a DUET mod or two should be at RMAF. BOLDER Cable and TweekGeek will be combining forces and showing in THREE rooms  :o We will have two on the 10th floor and one on the 9th.

JEaton,

An aluminum faceplate is possible. If Denny is willing to release the CAD work he did for these, I do have someone here in Denver who can machine aluminum. It won't be cheap, as a one off, but it can be done.

I, personally, do not care for any kind of switch in either AC or signal. I can install a power switch on the back plate of the chassis, if so desired.

kbuzz3

« Reply #35 on: 13 Jun 2008, 08:40 pm »
NIiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiii iiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiice

mcgsxr

« Reply #36 on: 14 Jun 2008, 01:26 pm »
Denny does some really nice work, I am in love with that 2nd option, with the streaked effect - wonder what kind of wood that is?

brj

« Reply #37 on: 14 Jun 2008, 06:22 pm »
Spalted Ash or Sycamore?

brj

« Reply #38 on: 14 Jun 2008, 06:27 pm »
Quote from: Wayne1
Congrats on finally getting a house! Let me know where you are and if you need some help moving in. It's the least I can do after you helped me move out of RMAF last year.

Hey Wayne, nothing owed there - I was glad to help, and you've been generous already!  As for moving in, the moving company should take care of most of it.  I just have months of box diving ahead of me to find everything!  I'll shoot you my address via PM once I'm "home".

Quote from: Wayne1
I'll let you know when I get one of these bad boys up and running.

:thumb:

analogmart