PC Email question

Antman27

PC Email question
« on: 22 Sep 2007, 04:30 am »
Question
I use Netscape  7.1 as my mail application
When I installed Symantec anti virus -I now can not seem to find my sent mail
If i send an email it does not save to my Sent mail folder
I went into pref/mail and newsgroups settings/coppies and folders/click on the box when sendng a massage save to Sent folder BUT they are not there ?
Any thoughts ?

Antman27

Re: PC Email question
« Reply #1 on: 22 Sep 2007, 12:27 pm »
No thoughts

BRILEY804

« Reply #2 on: 22 Sep 2007, 03:56 pm »
While I have never used Netscape before, but wouldnt something like that be listed under " Tools " where you can change certain settings such as saving a sent copy ?

Levi

« Reply #3 on: 22 Sep 2007, 04:24 pm »
I doubt that symantec Antivirus is the culprit. 

Here is what I would do momentarily.  Uninstall Syamntec.  Test sending email.  Install Symantec.  Test sending email.  Let us know what you find out.

Antman27

« Reply #4 on: 22 Sep 2007, 08:08 pm »
My email stoped saving to my sent folder the day I installed Symantec Anti-Virus
So I think  Symantec Anti-Virus is 100% behind it.
I just installed it and installed avast but its onlt a 60 day demo
BUT my email is still not showing up in my sent box and the setting are right
When sending a message , automaticly place a copy in sent folder

davidldl

« Reply #5 on: 22 Sep 2007, 08:25 pm »
Are you saving to the 'Sent' on the Local Folders or disk space at your email account? 
I assume you have two areas:  Local and Remote (account name).

Where are you expecting it?

--David

Antman27

« Reply #6 on: 22 Sep 2007, 08:35 pm »
I tried booth and nothing

davidldl

« Reply #7 on: 22 Sep 2007, 09:53 pm »
I know this doesn't help you troubleshoot your problem but why don't you move on to something like Thunderbird for email and The firefox browser?

You can download it at:

http://www.mozilla.com/en-US/thunderbird/
http://www.mozilla.com/en-US/firefox/

Correct me if I'm wrong but haven't they stopped development of the Netscape browser?
At least you will have the latest security fixes and patches.

If you are determined to get to the root of the problem, I would uninstall the Netscape (and blow away any residual installed files, unless you are trying to keep your old files, back them up somewhere else in this case) and reinstall.  Maybe some setting is messing you up or some file has been corrupted.  So I would start from scratch.

--David

Levi

« Reply #8 on: 23 Sep 2007, 05:05 am »
I am still convinced that it is not Symantec.  Do you have a spare computer we can test on?

If you do have a test computer, I would install Netscape, configure your email then test sending email. 

Here is a permanent solution:  If your email is pop email, hosted exchange etc, you could use Microsoft Outlook.  If you use Outlook, 110% you will have a history of your sent items.

I tried booth and nothing

Antman27

« Reply #9 on: 23 Sep 2007, 10:44 pm »
so next question is IF its NOT saving to my sent folder is there some hiden folders I may be able to find my sent mail or is it just gone ?
and if I uninstall netscape How could I save my inbox messages and address book ?
« Last Edit: 23 Sep 2007, 11:17 pm by Antman27 »

Levi

« Reply #10 on: 23 Sep 2007, 11:56 pm »
My guess is that a setting that you probably missed.  I am not sure what is that setting in your email provider.  One example is yahoo mail.  There is a feature in yahoo mail that enables and saves sent items in the sent items folder.  If this feature is not turned on, (turned off by default) you will not see emails you sent out.  It does not matter if you are using Safari, IE or Netscape this setting is in yahoo mail.  You see.  This is why I wanted you to try different application such as Outlook.  You don't have to uninstall Netscape to do our simple test. 

so next question is IF its NOT saving to my sent folder is there some hiden folders I may be able to find my sent mail or is it just gone ?
and if I uninstall netscape How could I save my inbox messages and address book ?

Antman27

« Reply #11 on: 24 Sep 2007, 01:59 am »
I have outlook express on my PC , I just sent a test email and it was in my sent folder IN outlook
I do have emails in my sent folder in netscape BUT nothing after the day Symantec was installed

davidldl

« Reply #12 on: 24 Sep 2007, 02:43 am »
It looks like Symantec has made email disappear before.  This might give you a hint at what could have happened.  I see some posts on quarantined mailbox.   I'm sure you'll find more with a google search and maybe a search at Symantec's site.

http://oldsite.capital.edu/cc/it/media/emailfix.html

http://www.uic.edu/depts/accc/software/eudora/sav.html

http://www.windowsbbs.com/showthread.php?t=53269

--David

Levi

« Reply #13 on: 24 Sep 2007, 02:52 am »
Problem solved? 

:thumb: