My Audio Dilemma

Steve-N

My Audio Dilemma
« on: 7 Apr 2007, 12:51 am »
 :scratch:

Well anyone who's been reading TAAS lately knows I'm a huge fan of ESL's. I currently have a pair of Martin Logan Aeon speakers (that are for sale BTW) I am looking to make a substantial upgrade from them. I have been toying with the idea of building a line array after I got a very nice deal on some
Newform Research R30 ribbons and Scanspeak drivers. Next week I will be picking up the remaining components I need to complete the array, plus some R45 ribbons, a pair of custom cabinets and drivers to complete a pair of Newform R645V2 speakers.

The complication started this week when I saw and opted to purchase a pair of probably 20 year old Acoustat Model 1 ESLs for a fair price locally. These are about 12" wide by 6ft tall ESL's but they need a subwoofer to complete the frequency range. I do have a custom made pair of passive subs using Peerless XLS drivers that would be a perfect match to these ESL's and get very close to the original design of the Model1, albeit with an extra bass driver (not a bad thing). Still need an amplifier/crossover for each, but I'm looking at some Bash amplifiers from Creative Sound Solutions or can use one of my SS amps and a nice little crossover from CSS.

Then I discovered a pair of Audiostatic ESL sub panels for sale, which would match up very well with the Model 1's. These are about the same dimensions as the Acoustats. Passive crossover is built in only need 2 amp channels. This is where the dilemma begins.  :scratch:

I want to end up with a very dynamic sounding system with the ability to present a huge soundstage and approach 100dB+ when called upon by musical transients at a 15 ft listening distance, but it also must have coherence at very low volume levels or passages with less complexity but also still sound musical...I don't ask for much do I.   :P  I believe either approach (line array with ribbons or, large ESL's with dynamic subs, or large ESL's and Large ESL subs) will achieve this.

Something would need to give for me to be able to afford the ESL sub panels. I was also thinking of some other items I could conceivably sacrifice or offer for a quick sale on CAM  to make the deal work. Here's a list of options

Trade/sell the ML Aeons for the ESL panels +$300 - offer on the table now.
2 Passive Peerless XLS Subs, no internal crossover - These would be obsolete if I get the sub panels - keep or sell?
4 AudioQuest interconnects ( 2m, 1m, 1m, 0.5m) - was just going to add to my collection of cables but I have others I can use - keep or sell?
2 PS Audio 2M power cables - really these are far too long for my current rig - keep or sell?
2 PS Audio power centers - keepers....will only sacrifice to stave off debt, famine or other calamity.
Newform R630 kit - I'd rather not sell, an array speaker project or something with them is still in my future plans at least to build and compare head to head.
Newform R645 kit - I'd rather not sell, I want to complete this kit and see if I can either sell them for more $$ or keep and use with the array as rear channels
Scan Speak drivers 18W/8545 midbass drivers - there would be some spares of these if I didn't do the array keep or sell?
4 PS Audio Amps - will have 2 more than I need by next weekend, but if I don't build my speaker project I have 4 amps I don't need - keep or sell one, pair or all?
Forget the ESL subwoofer panels and go with the Acoustats and custom Peerless subs.

Looking for a discussion and various opinions here. Feel free to post or just smack me upside the head.  :duh:

Pneumonic

Re: My Audio Dilemma
« Reply #1 on: 7 Apr 2007, 04:17 pm »
Very intriguing ideas, Mike.

While I don't have direct experience with some of the issues and concerns you're going to face I do have some indirect experience to share.

My Dad went about putting together a speaker system not unlike what you are attempting to do. He BADLY wanted to find some bass for his ML CLS' and tried almost every combo of planar and dynamic subs he could get his hands onto to get that magical integration. 2 years, and many tens of thousands of $, later he was no farther ahead. He was this close to giving up but then a colleague of his suggested he try and match his CLS' to a pair of Maggie Tympani bass panels. This was the best pairing by far but still it was very trying to get to work seamlessly. In the end he ended up having to build a custom room to house it in. But it does sound awesome. Probably the best sound I have ever heard.

I guess my point in this is to warn you in advance that the waters might very well get cloudy for you as you step forth with this project. Don't get frustrated and consider abandoning your quest because the rewards of sticking it out might be so great that you'll never be able to live with that decision.