Amp Comparo: And another thing....

Spirit

• Facilitator
Amp Comparo: And another thing....
« on: 29 Jan 2007, 12:30 am »
For any AC members who have ever bought into the "all power amps sound the same" statement, I can now state with 110% certainty that that comment is a pile of bullfeathers.
The differneces between certain amps was so obvious it really shocked me.
Even simpler was the ability to distinguish SS from Tubes.
I highly recommend holding some kind of product shoot-out in your area of the globe.
Besides being informative it is a load of fun!

zybar

• Volunteer
  • Dutch and Dutch 8C's…yes they are that good!
Re: Amp Comparo: And another thing....
« Reply #1 on: 29 Jan 2007, 03:56 am »
For any AC members who have ever bought into the "all power amps sound the same" statement, I can now state with 110% certainty that that comment is a pile of bullfeathers.
I highly recommend holding some kind of product shoot-out in your area of the globe.

Nice to score one for the people who listen instead of just read measurements.

I am looking forward to reading people's comments about what they heard.

George

Daygloworange

• Industry Participant
  • www.customconcepts.ca
« Reply #2 on: 29 Jan 2007, 04:09 am »
Nice to score one for the people who listen instead of just read measurements.

Very true, and you are absolutely right. Bottom line here was that they all sounded different yes, but all sounded good. They were all musical. Period.

I'll put it this way. If my amp blew up tomorrow, and was discontinued, and I had to choose an amp from the Comparo as a replacement, I would be be just as happy with 90% of the amps in attendance.

My mind has been put to ease a lot after this event. Trust your ears, is all I can say to anyone after this.

Cheers
« Last Edit: 29 Jan 2007, 07:33 am by Daygloworange »

china

« Reply #3 on: 29 Jan 2007, 05:04 am »

My two cents!!!  Amen!!!  Amen!!!  Lord!!! Amen!!!  Personally, I like the sound of tubes and the sound of records over CD. But that is just me!!!

As always, all the best. From China

mcgsxr

« Reply #4 on: 29 Jan 2007, 01:43 pm »
There seem to be a number of threads about this event, but I guess I will say thanks in this one.

I was able to briefly come out on Sunday (the friend I was with had his wife call 1 hour after we arrived, and we had to unceremoniously split!), so although I was not able to participate, I wanted to post a note of thanks to Denny for his gracious hosting of the gathering.

Having seen his workspace on the Thursday prior to the event, it was obvious to me the hours that went into transforming his place of business, into a venue that could house 30+ people and a ton of room conditioning panels, and a wack of top end gear.  I appreciate that he would set aside hours of his time to help a bunch of folks he barely knows be exposed to some excellent gear.  Truly a passionate guy!

Sorry I had to jet, I am glad that folks had such a good time - Thanks Denny!

I did get to see the HT8, and OB5 speakers, and am impressed with what Denny can do with wood.  As a cabinet maker, that might be taken for granted, but he really does excellent work.

I hope that I can stay a little longer at the next meet, wherever that might be.

Have a great one,