Affordable display calibration

zybar

• Volunteer
  • Dutch and Dutch 8C's…yes they are that good!
« on: 18 Dec 2005, 10:53 pm »
Just saw this and I am thinking about getting it:

http://www.hometheaterhifi.com/volume_12_4/datacolor-spyder-tv-12-2005-part-1.html

This is the company that produces the very well known (and very expensive) Colorfacts system used by calibration pros.

George

Eric5676

• Blu Ray Oasis
Re: Affordable display calibration
« Reply #1 on: 18 Dec 2005, 11:45 pm »
Quote from: zybar
Just saw this and I am thinking about getting it:

http://www.hometheaterhifi.com/volume_12_4/datacolor-spyder-tv-12-2005-part-1.html

This is the company that produces the very well known (and very expensive) Colorfacts system used by calibration pros.

George

If you know how to use it, more power to you. It's supposed to be a nice product.

ctviggen

« Reply #2 on: 18 Dec 2005, 11:49 pm »
I purchased my own device for color calibration -- you can calibrate at any time, and I think I've done a better job than my ISF-certified guy.

zybar

• Volunteer
  • Dutch and Dutch 8C's…yes they are that good!
« Reply #3 on: 19 Dec 2005, 12:09 am »
Quote from: ctviggen
I purchased my own device for color calibration -- you can calibrate at any time, and I think I've done a better job than my ISF-certified guy.

What did you buy Bob?

George

Ears

« Reply #4 on: 19 Dec 2005, 06:58 am »
Yes Bob....don't leave us hanging :nono:

ctviggen

« Reply #5 on: 19 Dec 2005, 02:27 pm »
Sorry, my fiancee came into the room at the exact time I was making that post and I got totally distracted.  As for what I bought, you won't likely find one -- I purchased it from a company that was going out of that business.  They bought it for about $6,000 and I paid over $1,000 for it.  It's self contained and has a sensor and a controller with LCD panel.  It comes with its own case.  It's a nice unit as you can switch between color temperature and Red, Green, Blue components (making it easier to figure out which to adjust).  

My attempted point with my other post was that if you truly desire good color control, buying one of these will allow you to make these adjustments many times, whereas ISF calibration is a one time thing.  I paid about $750 for ISF calibration (which includes adding a lining to the inside of my RPTV).  I thought that buying this product for 1k would allow me many more calibrations than having my system ISF calibrated.  And, I've calibrated my friends' tvs.  You do have to have something that tells you how to get into the hidden menus of your TV/projector, and you can't be afraid to mess around with the settings in there.  Also, some primer about what you're doing when you use the equipment is helpful.

Eric5676

• Blu Ray Oasis
« Reply #6 on: 19 Dec 2005, 03:52 pm »
Quote from: ctviggen

You would definitely be an exception, not the rule. ;)