Is requiring verification of alternate shipping addresses a new trend?

kc8apf

• Are you sure what side of the glass you're on?
I've run across two companies in the past month (neither are on AC) that clearly stated on their websites that they would only ship to the billing address unless the alternate address was recorded with the credit card company.  I'm hoping this isn't a new trend.  I ship things to my workplace since they'll sign for me instead of driving 30 minutes each way to the Fedex/UPS facility.  I called my credit card company and was informed that they _have no way_ to record an alternate shipping address.  Guess I won't be buying from these vendors.

Phil A

There's an easy solution with Fedex.  They will drop it to a Fedex Home Office store (which typically has hours until 11PM) and you can pick it up after wood if there is one of these close by to home or work.  UPS does it but they charge you.  I do it all the time as Fedex Home Delivery (a different company) is not convenient to get to.  The regular Fedex facility is just under 20 minutes from me and allows me to pick it up by 9PM but it can be a pain

Photon46

You apparently have an uncooperative credit card company. I was able to record an alternate shipping address with both FedEx and my Mastercard. The practice you refer to has been common for many years. I think I first encountered it six or seven years ago.

avahifi

• Industry Contributor
    • http://www.avahifi.com
The problem is that if the shipping address is different from the billing address, credit card verification can be impossible.  This means a stolen credit card can be used to obtain goods illegally.

I use Google Earth here to check on delivery addresses.  When Google Earth shows that expensive gear is destined to go to a shack at the end of a dirt trail or to Joe's Diner, I have misgivings about shipping.  :)  When the address for the "audio salon" turns out to be the Acme Used Car lot according to Google Earth photos, that is the end of the transaction.

Believe me, it happens.

Frank Van Alstine

Phil A

I've done alternative addresses on Amazon via credit card payment many times without incident.  So I'd tend to agree that the credit card company is not being overly cooperative.  If you want to stick with them, I'd call and advise of the problem and let them know your work address.  If they don't cooperate at that point, I'd dump them.  I generally call my credit card company ahead of time if I am making a large purchases (and in rare cases when I forgot, they would call me) so they know it is me.  I give them an approxiate amount and the vendor.

Carl V

:thumb:
Agree with the above.
I have wine, Liquor & gear sent
to an alternate address...WORK.
For all the above reasons. Safe
& Secure, adult signature required.
Credit Card Company is helpful as is
paypal.

kc8apf

• Are you sure what side of the glass you're on?
I've never had a problem with Amazon or other major retailers.  They happily ship to my work and the credit card company isn't involved.  These two recent vendors wanted the phone # off the back of the card and clearly stated they wouldn't ship to an alternate address unless they could call the credit card company and confirm it.  For the most recent vendor, I ordered anyway and I got a shipping notice today that shows it going to the alternate address.  Guess they didn't really need the confirmation after all.  Now, it would have been nice if they had actually put my name on the box when they shipped it to a company w/ 10k employees......

JohnR

As per Frank's post I would have thought that not shipping to an unregistered address would be a good thing, it would help prevent fraud.

With e.g. amazon, you have to be able to log into your account to set up alternate shipping addressses. So you can't be ... frauded? defrauded? that way unless they hack into your account. I'm not sure what the setup is with the vendors mentioned in the OP.