2003 Stereophile Interview with Jim Winey

ajzepp

2003 Stereophile Interview with Jim Winey
« on: 23 Mar 2012, 10:44 pm »
I happened to be looking up some information at wikipedia today, and thought I'd pull up Magnepan just out of curiosity. They had a link to this interview and I felt it was worth posting in here even though I'm sure many of the Magnepan fans here have already read it. Mr. Winey discusses how he invented magneplanar technology while still workign at 3M and it's very interesting to say the least. He also touches on SACD, surround sound, and the succession plans for the company (that have already come to fruition). Enjoy!

http://www.stereophile.com/interviews/103winey/index.html

kevin360

• án sǫngr ek svelta
Re: 2003 Stereophile Interview with Jim Winey
« Reply #1 on: 24 Mar 2012, 03:37 pm »
Yeah, that's a nice interview. It's hard to read interviews with guys like Jim and not feel a strong desire to be a customer - it's truly a labor of love for him. That he was permitted to depart 3M with complete ownership of his speaker design still amazes me, but I am ever so grateful to 3M for setting Jim free to launch his own company, and to Magnepan for never changing their core values.

ajzepp

Re: 2003 Stereophile Interview with Jim Winey
« Reply #2 on: 24 Mar 2012, 03:58 pm »
Yeah, that's a nice interview. It's hard to read interviews with guys like Jim and not feel a strong desire to be a customer - it's truly a labor of love for him. That he was permitted to depart 3M with complete ownership of his speaker design still amazes me, but I am ever so grateful to 3M for setting Jim free to launch his own company, and to Magnepan for never changing their core values.

Well said