Any Experiences With Isabellina Pro DAC?

Major Roadrash

Any Experiences With Isabellina Pro DAC?
« on: 29 Nov 2011, 12:23 am »
Has anyone had a chance to hear the Isabellina Pro DAC (the hi-rez version that plays back 24/192k files)?

I'm downloading more and more high-rez files and I'm curious how much better they might sound via the Pro versus the standard Isabellina DAC.

Any comments would be appreciated.

Profbratsch

Re: Any Experiences With Isabellina Pro DAC?
« Reply #1 on: 29 Nov 2011, 10:50 pm »
Major Roadrash,

Recently I had Vinnie install the Isabellina Pro and the balanced headphone stage into my LFP-V Isabella.  I have not yet downloaded any high-resolution files to my Music Vault Emerald but I have the capability to switch between USB and S/PDIF so I have compared the difference between NOS and 192K oversampling on familiar redbook CDs and there is more of a difference than one would suspect.

With S/PDIF I hear more detail and spaciousness in the performance.  I can hear the bite of bow on string or the twang of a guitar more distinctly.  When an audience at a recorded live event applauds or reacts to the performer I get a pretty good picture of the layout of the venue.

With USB instruments and voices seems to have a more "flesh and blood" dimensionality to them.  As a string player myself I listen, for example, to a Yo-Yo Ma performance and find that his cello exhibits more of the lower fundamentals as opposed to listening to it in S/PDIF.  By this I mean the sound is a bit darker and more full-bodied. 

If you were to ask me which of the two settings I prefer I would currently say it is S/PDIF, although for extended listening sessions I might switch to USB at times.  The flexibility of choosing from a couple of musical flavors is a real luxury and I am enjoying it very much.

Before too much longer I am going to try offerings of HD Tracks and Naxos but I cannot imagine being at all disappointed with the results of the high-resolution format.  If this is not helpful enough please PM me and I can try to give you more specifics.

Hope you decide to take the plunge!
« Last Edit: 30 Nov 2011, 06:23 pm by Profbratsch »

Major Roadrash

« Reply #2 on: 30 Nov 2011, 03:42 pm »
Thank you Profbratsch, your comments are helpful.  I think I will take the plunge, high-rez is the medium of the future, might as well get on board now.

I hadn't considered listening via S/PDIF, I've only used USB to this point.  Interesting to read your comparison of the two.

Best Regards,
Dan.

Profbratsch

« Reply #3 on: 30 Nov 2011, 06:22 pm »
You are quite welcome!

FYI the S/PDIF output from the Music Vault Emerald comes from the Juli sound card, which some reviewers have preferred over the Lynx AES/EBU card.

After an extended listening session last night I have an even stronger feeling for S/PDIF playback over USB with my system, whether hearing the music through headphones (Hifiman HE-6) or speakers (LSA 1 Statement monitors).

SteveParsons

« Reply #4 on: 1 Dec 2011, 01:20 pm »
Interesting thread.  I have previously compared some music (the stones) in 88/24 against 44.1 (same tune - just downsampled) through my Isabella and I preferred the 44.1.

I ran the 44.1 track through USB and the 88/24 via a HiFace into the coax input.  So easy to compare the two.

I found the 88/24 to have a more analytic presentation and it just didn't have the same holographic presence as the 44.1.  This could be down to the Hiface of course - but difficult to tell.

I'm interested in the upgrade too.  Love to hear from anyone who's played some hires through it to see how it compares to the NOS.

Cheers,

Steve

Profbratsch

« Reply #5 on: 10 Dec 2011, 04:38 pm »
Steve,

Perhaps our differences in perception are, at least in part, a reflection on our musical preferences.  It seems that rock might be a favorite of yours, a medium I try to avoid.   :)  Whille I have a couple of pop CDs on the hard drive I concentrate a lot on classical, movie soundtracks, crossover music and  small ensemble jazz.  Particularly with classical music I really like the way complex material is unraveled with S/PDIF.

About thirty-five years ago I heard a system that I still remember fondly...expect for the power amplifier. :oops:  A Thorens turntable was the source and the front end included the rather unusual pre-amp/tuner from Nakamichi (the one with the angled front panel).  The speakers were Magnepans and there was a spaciousness, even at very low listening levels, that I had never encountered before.  My system now brings me more than a little bit of that flavor.

Please post your feedback regarding high-resolution files once you get involved with them.  I will do the same!
« Last Edit: 10 Dec 2011, 10:21 pm by Profbratsch »

jrebman

« Reply #6 on: 14 Jan 2012, 09:47 pm »
So, any updates to this thread?

I'd be especially interested if anybody here has heard the difference between the original SLA Isabellina (which used to own) and the new verson with the Pro upgrade.

Also, the web site is not working for me so I can't really see the specs and pricing -- other than the base price, and want to know what the Pro upgrade costs, and I'd also like to know if the spdif input is an RCA or BNC, and if a BNC is available.

Thanks,

Jim

Vinnie R.

• Industry Contributor
    • http://www.vinnierossi.com
« Reply #7 on: 16 Jan 2012, 03:26 pm »
Hi Jim,

I'd be especially interested if anybody here has heard the difference between the original SLA Isabellina (which used to own) and the new verson with the Pro upgrade.

This thread might be of interest:
http://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?topic=84680.0

Also, the web site is not working for me so I can't really see the specs and pricing -- other than the base price, and want to know what the Pro upgrade costs, and I'd also like to know if the spdif input is an RCA or BNC, and if a BNC is available.

-- Isabellina LFP-V Edition base pricing (75-ohm BNC and optical inputs) is $1500.
-- USB adds $500
-- Isabellina PRO LFP-V Edition is $2500 (has USB, BNC, and optical).
-- Adding a 12Vdc output jack (for Wadia iTranport, Cambridge iD100, Pure i20, etc. docks or other equipment) adds $100.

All the best,

Vinnie

jrebman

« Reply #8 on: 16 Jan 2012, 06:24 pm »
Hi Vinnie,

Thanks and I had already read that thread but thereis no mention of the pro version.  In fact, I don't see many references to the pro anywhere, so maybe it's too early to tell.  Though the requisite $500 upgrade for usb in the pro versin, which I don't want anyway means it's probably nothing I can consider at this time.

Thanks,

Jim

Vinnie R.

• Industry Contributor
« Reply #9 on: 16 Jan 2012, 06:43 pm »
Hi Vinnie,

Thanks and I had already read that thread but thereis no mention of the pro version.  In fact, I don't see many references to the pro anywhere, so maybe it's too early to tell.  Though the requisite $500 upgrade for usb in the pro versin, which I don't want anyway means it's probably nothing I can consider at this time.

Thanks,

Jim

Hi Jim,

We use the PRO dac as an option in the Isabella preamp, Isabellina HPA (headphone amp), and Audeze Edition headphone amp.  These have been mentioned and reviewed, and there are threads on headfi about it. 

When I get some time, I'll try to find links...

All the best,

Vinnie

jrebman

« Reply #10 on: 16 Jan 2012, 06:46 pm »
Thanks Vinnie,

Don't trouble yourself, I'm a member (mostly lurker) at head-fi so I'll go poke around over there for myself.

Signature 15 looks very cool!

-- Jim

Alwayswantmore

« Reply #11 on: 13 May 2012, 07:15 pm »
Hi this is a bump on an old thread. I had a chance to hear the ProDac, and here are my comments...  http://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?topic=105159.0

MorganE

« Reply #12 on: 24 Jul 2012, 01:04 pm »
I recently received my upgraded Isabellina HPA back from Vinnie, and on his advice added the Pro DAC option.  As I highly value all of the knowledgeable advice that I have received here in the RWA Forum, I hope that I can add a useful perspective for those considering this option.

I have a headphones only system, comprised of the following:

MacBook Pro/Amarra>Toslink>Isabellina LFP-V into the following headphones:

- Shure SRH1840
- Audeze LCD-2 v.1
- AT-W3000ANV

I primarily use the matching AT-HA5000ANV amplifier for my AT headphones so have not referred to this setup with the Pro DAC.

The Pro DAC:

For your high Rez computer audio files it is a no brainer for well recorded music where you will immediately notice the difference.  One example being Elton John's Captain Fantastic album in high Rez.  It is simply stunning with the Pro DAC and the right headphones/speakers.  Not so much so though with a number of other high rez recordings such as the LSO/Hatlink Beethoven symphony recordings offered by the B&W Society of Sound. I preferred some of the more well known redbook recordings to these. One very good LSO/Gergiev recording though is the Rachmaninoff Symphony No. 2, also offered by B&W.

As others have commented, personal sound preferences that have dictated the components you have selected for your sound system and in particular your speakers/headphones, will dictate how valuable an option this is to you -  plus of course whether or not you already have a high Rez option in your system. 

For Redbook, I love the High rez option with my Shure headphones where I am looking for layering, detail and clarity.  I love the Pro DAC with these headphones, which to me are a combination of Sennheiser's HD-600 and the AKG 701 - but significantly better.  For the LCD-2s, however, IMO, the NOS DAC is more musical and compliments their sound signature better with Redbook.

One thing the Pro DAC has taught me though, is that resolution is not everything! All of the qualities of the original NOS DAC stand out when you can just flip a switch to hear either one.  An example for me is Glen Gould's recording of Bach's Well Tempered Clavier.  Think of the piano being used as a giant harpsichord.  I found the Pro DAC to be too percussive for me listening to the entire Book One in one sitting.  The NOS DAC on the other hand rounds the notes out and smoothed out the sound which let me focus on the music.

One last musical example - Kiri Takanawa's CD Ave Maria.  The Shures plus Pro DAC really bring out the layering of the music and improved clarity on this album, which is recorded in a cathedral creating a number of challenges.  It becomes more 3D with the Pro DAC and changes this from what can sound like a very average/poor recording because of the sonic challenges presented as a result of recording in the cathedral, to something closer to being there Live.

As I hope you can tell, for my setup, the Pro DAC is a great addition to my system at a reasonable cost, and having both options in one box is a perfect solution for me. 

Thanks Vinnie for making this an option on the Isabellina! 

Alwayswantmore

« Reply #13 on: 24 Jul 2012, 10:42 pm »
Nicely written. Your findings echo mine - it's nice to have a choice - only the flip of the switch away. K

Vinnie R.

• Industry Contributor
« Reply #14 on: 27 Jul 2012, 08:14 pm »
Hi MorganE,

Thanks for your post!  I know others will find it very useful.  :thumb:

Vinnie