15" woofer crossover frequency question

jcg0322

15" woofer crossover frequency question
« on: 23 Oct 2011, 11:37 pm »

I am repacing the xover network on a set of 1974 vintage Jensen 3-way speakers. It has a simple 1st order network and I intend to keep it that way. The speakers are a 15" woofer, 2 4" midrange and a dome tweeter. The problem is a low pass filter inductor which is used by the woofer. I cannot identify the original value as it has no markinigs. I measured it with an LRC meter at .56mH so this component is obviously way out of tolerance. I would appreciate to hear input from the speaker experts in this forum to suggest a typical frequency for a 15" speaker; a ballpark figure for a starting point. I need to calculate a value for the purchase of a new inductor.
Thank you for the help.
Jack

Æ

Re: 15" woofer crossover frequency question
« Reply #1 on: 24 Oct 2011, 12:09 am »
Inductors won't change value regardless of how old they are unless they were abused considerably. You have a pair of loudspeakers? Well then measure both inductors out of circuit. Tell us if they are both .56mH. Typically the low pass frequency for a woofer would be at the same frequency as the high pass, or the starting band pass frequency of the midrange.

The beaming (ka) of a 15" woofer is going to kick in somewhere around 650-700Hz. Usually you wouldn't crossover a woofer much higher than where it begins to beam, however in your case the lower frequency limit of your midranges would be the determining factor.
« Last Edit: 24 Oct 2011, 02:08 am by Æ »

Æ

« Reply #2 on: 24 Oct 2011, 12:18 am »
See attached nomograph, courtesy of David Weems.

face

« Reply #3 on: 24 Oct 2011, 12:33 am »
Cool chart, but I wish it was that simple Alan. 

Æ

« Reply #4 on: 24 Oct 2011, 12:50 am »
Cool chart, but I wish it was that simple.

It was for Jensen! :green:

So, do you think he has the time, tools and where with all to generate .frd and .zma files and plug them into PCD?

KISS, Keep It Simple . . . But please feel free to talk him through the purchase and use of a woofer tester, soundcard, microphone, software, etc, etc. Or he can just ship the loudspeakers to you. For a nominal fee you can take care of it for him.
« Last Edit: 24 Oct 2011, 02:01 am by Æ »

face

Æ

« Reply #6 on: 24 Oct 2011, 01:00 am »
I have no trouble spending other people's money.

He only wants to replicate the original, a first order network, circa 1974. I could drum up something quite usable in no time (maybe two hours). Hey, it worked for David Weems!

jcg0322

« Reply #7 on: 24 Oct 2011, 10:59 pm »
Alan,
What you have stated makes perfect sense. It is nice to talk to someone with intelligence and experience. I will take apart the other speaker box tomorrow and measure the inductance of that coil.
But it is already making sense because the midrange capacitor (8uF) has a cut-off frequency of 2400Hz. The bass filter coil with an inductance of .56mH has a cutoff frequency of about 2300Hz. Very close. Just as you said.
Thanks Alan.........

Æ

« Reply #8 on: 25 Oct 2011, 12:26 am »
Alan,
What you have stated makes perfect sense. It is nice to talk to someone with intelligence and experience. I will take apart the other speaker box tomorrow and measure the inductance of that coil.
But it is already making sense because the midrange capacitor (8uF) has a cut-off frequency of 2400Hz. The bass filter coil with an inductance of .56mH has a cutoff frequency of about 2300Hz. Very close. Just as you said.
Thanks Alan.........

All the answers you received were intelligent ones, regardless of who replied.

To me, 2300-2400Hz isn't midrange, it's treble! I generally think of midrange as being below 2000Hz.
Categorizing it: 16Hz-160Hz is bass, 160Hz-1600Hz is the midrange, and 1600Hz-16,000Hz is the treble, sort of. . .

You're welcome.

neobop

• BIRD LIVES
« Reply #9 on: 25 Oct 2011, 11:29 am »
Jack,
Why don't you use the old coils?

jcg0322

« Reply #10 on: 26 Oct 2011, 03:49 pm »
AE,
The other coil measured .55mH so these inductors are probably good. I just don't agree with Jensens' choice of values. I don't think the cut-off frequency should be 2.3kHz for the bass. Maybe a 3.2mH coil would be better, putting the fco at around 400Hz. I will look at the links you posted.
Thanks.

face

« Reply #11 on: 26 Oct 2011, 09:20 pm »
How do you know that is the cut off frequency, from a chart?

jcg0322

« Reply #12 on: 26 Oct 2011, 09:47 pm »
face,
I didn't use a chart. I used the equation for cut-off frequency.
Why are people so mean in this forum?
That's it I'm gone.........goodbye.........adios..... ...no thanks

srb

« Reply #13 on: 26 Oct 2011, 10:13 pm »
Why are people so mean in this forum?
That's it I'm gone.........goodbye.........adios..... ...no thanks

?

I looked in the IGW to see if there were some posts removed from this topic that I missed, but there were none.  Must be some underlying subtext that I'm just not seeing.

Steve

Æ

« Reply #14 on: 26 Oct 2011, 10:31 pm »

?

I looked in the IGW to see if there were some posts removed from this topic that I missed, but there were none.  Must be some underlying subtext that I'm just not seeing.

Steve

It's the internet. . . people will get offended over perceived wrongs, upset over the least little thing.

Æ

« Reply #15 on: 26 Oct 2011, 10:33 pm »
AE,
The other coil measured .55mH so these inductors are probably good. I just don't agree with Jensens' choice of values. I don't think the cut-off frequency should be 2.3kHz for the bass. Maybe a 3.2mH coil would be better, putting the fco at around 400Hz. I will look at the links you posted.
Thanks.

Well anyway, if you care to hang around just a bit more, I have some ideas on how you could revamp the entire crossover, while still keeping it first order.

Letitroll98

• Facilitator
  • Too loud is just right
« Reply #16 on: 27 Oct 2011, 04:12 am »
Nope, I didn't delete anything.  Unless a higher authority stepped in and removed something that was posted, I can't see what the affront was.