1" compression driver recommendations?

JDUBS

1" compression driver recommendations?
« on: 11 Feb 2011, 02:50 am »
Hey Guys

I'm thinking about trying new 1" compression drivers in my Yorkville Unity speakers.  Stock, it uses BMS 4550s, which are great, but they do roll off quite a bit from 10khz on up.  I would plan on crossing it to my midrange drivers at 1200hz or so.

Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!
Jim

mgalusha

Re: 1" compression driver recommendations?
« Reply #1 on: 11 Feb 2011, 03:02 am »
There should be plenty of options. USSpeaker has a pretty good list of compression drivers here: http://www.usspeaker.com/hfcompressiondrivers-1.htm

Looks like yours has a 1" throat and perhaps 2 mounting holes. I know the B&C DE-250 in my Abbeys has a 1" throat but it uses 3 mounting holes. I've no idea if mounting in the Yorkville will accept alternative mountings.

Edit: Looking at some of those drivers, many have both 2 and 3 bolt hole mounting holes, so that makes it easier.

gooberdude

« Reply #2 on: 11 Feb 2011, 03:33 am »
I've really enjoyed the 1" Radian compression tweeters that my Hawthorne Sterlings have.  Not sure of the model #.

JoshK

« Reply #3 on: 11 Feb 2011, 04:14 pm »
Actually, I think you are SOL if your goal is to get higher extention up top.  I've read Tom Danley's comments about how he experimented with many different CD's with that goal and came to the conclusion that the BMS 4550 had about the best top end of all the choices on those horns. 

Certainly the B&C nor the Radian will be any better considering a multitude of measurements I've seen comparing them to the BMS on many horns. The Beyma CP385ND is about your only other hope, but I am very skeptical it will do any better up top.

I think >10khz is overrated myself.

sonicboom

« Reply #4 on: 12 Feb 2011, 05:21 pm »
Take a look at the Celestion CD linked below.  It will probably go a bit higher due to its smaller and thus lighter diaphragm.  However, depending on where the Unity's cross over to the CD you will have to be mindful of this driver's low end response as it doesn't go as low as the BMS.

http://professional.celestion.com/pro/pdf/CDX1-1430.pdf

sonicboom

« Reply #5 on: 12 Feb 2011, 08:13 pm »
Here's another 1" exit CD from B&C with a smaller than usual diaphragm.

http://www.bcspeakers.com/CPD/product_pdf.php?id=0000000181

JDUBS

« Reply #6 on: 19 Feb 2011, 03:43 am »
Cool, thanks fellas.  I think I'll just stick with the BMS 4550s.  I've tweaked Pure Music and Fabfilter Pro-Q so as to alleviate the drop.

-Jim

bombadil111

• Hawthorne Audio, MiniWatt N3, Music Hall DAC 25.3
« Reply #7 on: 20 Feb 2011, 01:42 pm »
I've really enjoyed the 1" Radian compression tweeters that my Hawthorne Sterlings have.  Not sure of the model #.

That be this one:

http://www.hawthorneaudio.com/catalogs/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=3&products_id=13

Apparently, Darrel tested quite a few before settling on this one.   :thumb:

Tyson

• Audio - It's all a big fake.
« Reply #8 on: 20 Feb 2011, 05:12 pm »
Being able to cross over at 1khz is far more important to overall sound quality than the 10-20khz extension is.  It's a trade off - the tweeters that let you cross over low are simply not going to have the super high end extension. 

On the other hand, if you go active (like with a DCX2496), you can easily dial in a 6db or 12db per octave boost to compensate for the tweeter's natural roll off. 

JohnR

« Reply #9 on: 20 Feb 2011, 05:24 pm »
On the other hand, if you go active (like with a DCX2496), you can easily dial in a 6db or 12db per octave boost to compensate for the tweeter's natural roll off.

It's amazing how much of a difference this makes (speaking in generalities, not specific to that type of driver or specific digital xo/eq unit)