2013 TAS Editor's Choice Awards: Subwoofers

ctviggen

Re: 2013 TAS Editor's Choice Awards: Subwoofers
« Reply #20 on: 23 Feb 2013, 06:50 pm »
It is a slightly obnoxious set of choices though.  The Wilson is 21.5K, and you still need a 3.8k crossover and an amp!  And they recommend you run them in stereo! 

I stopped reading these types of review a while ago, once I realized that I could never afford 90% of what was offered.  It's like reading a car magazine -- the average car reviewed many times is as expensive as my first house.  Of this "Editor's Choice", I could afford one of the subs.  My current car cost less than a single Wilson.

kevin360

• án sǫngr ek svelta
« Reply #21 on: 23 Feb 2013, 07:05 pm »
Civility, at times, is overrated. :wink:

I already told the make/model & where to buy the same sub to that member who first asked me in my PM.

That's nice (though, apparently false), but it's not an answer to the question of why it must remain a secret on this forum. If you'll reveal the details in private, why not do so in public? That which is not made public is kept secret.

You don't seem to know the knowhow of making a cheapie sub sound supertb & deny me of my ear/hand on experience in subs, why bother to ask me?

On what basis do you make the assumption that I lack such 'knowhow'? How did I deny you of anything? I simply posed a challenge. When you infer what I did not imply, you are putting words in my mouth.

If YOU did read my post carefully, I stressed so much on propery INTERPHASE with the preamp which can make a lousy sub sound excellent as I have done so. It is not so much how much money you want spend on a sub, the key issue is, again, to interphase yr stereo preamp PROPERLY to get the result.

I believe you mean INTERFACE, not INTERPHASE. I don't have an interface issue. It is, by your own statement, you who have such a problem. Are you honestly suggesting that proper impedance matching is all it takes to get astounding results – even from a lousy (your word) sub? I guess I wasted a ton of money on bass traps.

May I ask you: how many & what subsonic bass recordings you got to test yr subs???

I have lots and lots of such recordings – far too many to name, but take Liquid Tension Experiment's 'Chewbacca' for a ride for some butt kicking bass. I don't understand the pertinence of this question.

Price tag is not the only means to get a superb sounding sub. It is the proper interphase between the preamp & the sub & the music softeware to back it up.

Okay, we're back to this 'interphase' issue again. My subs are being fed by a crossover. My mains are being fed by the same crossover. I have no impedance mismatch – output to input impedances are well within ideal operating ranges. I don't have a sub; I have two and I'm contemplating a third because, as satisfying as things are, I know they can be even better. As far as the music is concerned, I have a plethora of titles with incredible bass.

Proper setting up of a sub, which I did not mention in my above post, is something not to be overlooked.

Ah, but that's elementary, my dear Watson. I have invested a great deal of time, energy and, yes, money in maximizing my setup. You seem to be assuming otherwise, except on that last one.

Now I can make a $45 sub shake my basement audio den, any costier counterparts are only icing on the cake - if one really knows the business.

Good for you! Of course, shaking is easy. If that's all you want, just attach a shaker to your chair and be done with it. We still don't know what $45 sub you have. I guess I have lots of icing on my cake. Oh, I guess I don't since I obviously don't know the business.

What I do know is that I don't just want to be hit in the chest with pressure; I want to hear notes. I don't want hard hit notes to over-bloom and resonate in my room. I want them decay properly.

Your assertion, as I read it, is that those of us who have invested deeply in the bottom end have wasted our money. Furthermore, we did so out of ignorance, because anyone who knows the business could have achieved that end for less than a restaurant bill. Sorry, but that's utter nonsense. 

Now, I am not insisting that I have the ultimate bass setup, nor am I suggesting that my approach is the best, or the only one to take. I am making the claim that it works to the extent that I (and I assure you that I'm very demanding, as well as cultured) am impressed with it – no more, no less.

Put down your sticks and stones - maybe give a listen to the penultimate song on Joni Mitchell's 'Clouds'. Nobody in this thread made an issue of the money spent beyond responding to the query (oops, different thread, but still...) of how much we actually spent - no value judgment. You drew that pistol. I'd rather not have to return fire.
« Last Edit: 25 Feb 2013, 06:16 pm by kevin360 »

medium jim

« Reply #22 on: 23 Feb 2013, 07:10 pm »
Moving right along....

Jim

geowak

« Reply #23 on: 23 Feb 2013, 08:01 pm »
They most likely were. One of the best car stereos I ever had was a Delco/Bose system in my '98 STS. Of course, it helped that the interior of that car was relatively quiet. I've since returned to a more entertaining vehicle to drive (and I may, right now, own the last car I ever buy :D), but that Caddy was a comfy break from the little cars. It was the best music enjoyment vehicle I ever owned - equate that with the room. :wink: By and large, a great room means more than a great system (this isn't to say that a great system isn't needed to get the most out of the room).

Anyway, all of the rambling is to agree - yeah, fine system.

BTW, that Roadmaster was a monster! It would make for an awesome truck. At the time I owned the STS, I was (ab)using it like a truck. Did the job quite well. The interior would swallow quite a few boxes, and the trunk was cavernous...but, the Roadmaster had a bigger appetite.

Dr Amar Bose and his engineers have been working on an Automobile suspension system for over twenty five years. His suspension system is actually more impressive than his speaker designs. Although I did own a pair of 901's in the 80's and I liked them.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z3gX2HwFf5I

medium jim

« Reply #24 on: 23 Feb 2013, 08:13 pm »
Maybe one of the most meandering threads, from TAS, to cheap DIY, to Car Audio and now to Car Suspension. What was this thread about again?

Jim

decal

« Reply #25 on: 23 Feb 2013, 08:15 pm »
AADD is rampant in this nation !!!!!!!

SteveFord

• Volunteer
  • The poodle bites, the poodle chews it.
« Reply #26 on: 23 Feb 2013, 08:17 pm »
I used to know what that stood for. 
Aunts Against Drunk Driving? 

I think this thread was about things we can't afford. 

geowak

« Reply #27 on: 23 Feb 2013, 08:23 pm »
Maybe one of the most meandering threads, from TAS, to cheap DIY, to Car Audio and now to Car Suspension. What was this thread about again?

Jim

You are right Jim. Back to the regular programming. I don't respect what TAS writers say about subwoofers.
An overpriced big musical box of wires that makes a big boom is fine with me, but I will not buy it.

I mean... I would be paying the salaries of the writers who went to bed with the manufactures, wouldn't I ? I would rather buy an SVS sub, HSU sub or make a DIY.

andy_c

« Reply #28 on: 23 Feb 2013, 08:48 pm »
It is a slightly obnoxious set of choices though.  The Wilson is 21.5K, and you still need a 3.8k crossover and an amp!  And they recommend you run them in stereo!

The Wilson Audio web site says this sub weighs 411 pounds!  How exactly does one optimize the location of a 411 pound subwoofer?  :green:

geowak

« Reply #29 on: 23 Feb 2013, 09:01 pm »
The Wilson Audio web site says this sub weighs 411 pounds!  How exactly does one optimize the location of a 411 pound subwoofer?  :green:

HaHaHa :lol: Yes optimize the location... I love it :lol:

medium jim

« Reply #30 on: 23 Feb 2013, 09:18 pm »
With those big assed things you could optimize the whole neighborhood! Make sure to swarm them.

Jim

andy_c

« Reply #31 on: 23 Feb 2013, 09:22 pm »
HaHaHa :lol: Yes optimize the location... I love it :lol:

Maybe one could build some very short stands for them that double as palettes for a hydraulic jack.

andy_c

« Reply #32 on: 23 Feb 2013, 09:25 pm »
With those big assed things you could optimize the whole neighborhood! Make sure to swarm them.

Yup.  You'll need at least four of them to smooth out the effect of room modes.  :green:

medium jim

« Reply #33 on: 23 Feb 2013, 11:00 pm »
Yup.  You'll need at least four of them to smooth out the effect of room modes.  :green:

Be sure to use the movie Earthquake to integrate them properly :icon_twisted:

Jim

SteveFord

• Volunteer
  • The poodle bites, the poodle chews it.
« Reply #34 on: 23 Feb 2013, 11:06 pm »
Unlike lesser subwoofers, there is no digital room correction with Wilson's Thor's Hammer, so you will rely on your Wilson dealer for proper set-up.

I guess that would be the guy who owns the forklift.

geowak

« Reply #35 on: 23 Feb 2013, 11:13 pm »
Unlike lesser subwoofers, there is no digital room correction with Wilson's Thor's Hammer, so you will rely on your Wilson dealer for proper set-up.

I guess that would be the guy who owns the forklift.

Yes and he brings a 5 gallon bucket of these...

« Last Edit: 24 Feb 2013, 05:15 am by geowak »