$1500 budget, 95% HT

coke

$1500 budget, 95% HT
« on: 20 Aug 2012, 01:00 pm »
I recently sold my rythmik fv12 due to lack of output.

I'm looking for sub(s) that will be used almost exclusively for movies, but every now and then a music blu-ray.

The sub I had prior to the rythmik, was a Dayton 15” Dayton titanic in a sealed box with a 1000W amp.  It was close to having enough output, but I wasn’t happy with the sound quality.

My room is fairly small.  12x14 with 14’ vaulted ceilings.  I have a GIK 244 in each corner

Initially I won’t be using any type of EQ for the subs.

I really enjoy very low frequency output.  I’m willing to sacrifice max spl for sub 20Hz performance.

Sealed or ported is fine

The sub(s) will most likely be placed between my speakers, so they can’t be tall. I’d 3’ at the absolute max.  If there is a “perfect” sub for me that is over 3’ though, I might be able to buy some additional GIK panels to cover them up when listening to 2 channel, but I’d really prefer not to do this.

I have the ability to build boxes.  My Salks look so much nicer than anything I could build though, and I really don’t want to put one of my boxes next to them lol.  I don’t think DIY is an option.  A black finish would be fine.

Budget is around $1,500, but if I could accomplish my goals for less, than I’m all for it.  I’m also willing to buy used, so i’m open to those suggestions as well. 

SPL throughout my room seems very inconsistent with a single sub, so I’m leaning toward a dual setup.

Thanks, and I appreciate the help

Doublej

Re: $1500 budget, 95% HT
« Reply #1 on: 20 Aug 2012, 03:13 pm »
There are many choices. I'd look at dual Hsu, Emotiva and Outlaw Audio subwoofers.

saisunil

« Reply #2 on: 20 Aug 2012, 03:26 pm »
You need a butt kicker - bass that feels

coke

« Reply #3 on: 20 Aug 2012, 03:29 pm »
i'd prefer to get the feel from subs alone if possible. 

Austin08

« Reply #4 on: 20 Aug 2012, 04:41 pm »
Coke,

I am in the same boat. I was looking at Rythmik FV15hp, E15hp and dual HSU ULS15. I am leanning toward the FV15HP but do not if I should go dual Ryhmik. 

coke

« Reply #5 on: 20 Aug 2012, 05:28 pm »
After the experience with my "budget" fv12, I believe one of the larger rythmiks would work well for me. 

I'd really like dual subs if possible, but an FV15HP is on my list. 

Austin08

« Reply #6 on: 20 Aug 2012, 05:37 pm »
I don't know if dual FV15HP would be over kill for my room. It is about 3000 cubic feet.

bpape

• Industry Participant
  • I am serious and don't call my Shirley
    • Sensible Sound Solutions
« Reply #7 on: 20 Aug 2012, 06:30 pm »
If it's purely HT and you want dual subs, I'd look at HSU research.  For a single sub, I'd look at Seaton Audio.

Bryan

quicksound

« Reply #8 on: 13 Jan 2013, 11:33 pm »
I have HSU ULS15's and they pack a huge punch. When listening to music I like to have them set at the lowest possible volume, otherwise there is just too much bass. Just my 2 cents.

medium jim

« Reply #9 on: 14 Jan 2013, 01:48 am »
I have HSU ULS15's and they pack a huge punch. When listening to music I like to have them set at the lowest possible volume, otherwise there is just too much bass. Just my 2 cents.

Welcome to the Bass Circle!

Jim

Rclark

« Reply #10 on: 14 Jan 2013, 02:25 am »
I recently sold my rythmik fv12 due to lack of output.

I'm looking for sub(s) that will be used almost exclusively for movies, but every now and then a music blu-ray.

The sub I had prior to the rythmik, was a Dayton 15” Dayton titanic in a sealed box with a 1000W amp.  It was close to having enough output, but I wasn’t happy with the sound quality.

My room is fairly small.  12x14 with 14’ vaulted ceilings.  I have a GIK 244 in each corner

Initially I won’t be using any type of EQ for the subs.

I really enjoy very low frequency output.  I’m willing to sacrifice max spl for sub 20Hz performance.

Sealed or ported is fine

The sub(s) will most likely be placed between my speakers, so they can’t be tall. I’d 3’ at the absolute max.  If there is a “perfect” sub for me that is over 3’ though, I might be able to buy some additional GIK panels to cover them up when listening to 2 channel, but I’d really prefer not to do this.

I have the ability to build boxes.  My Salks look so much nicer than anything I could build though, and I really don’t want to put one of my boxes next to them lol.  I don’t think DIY is an option.  A black finish would be fine.

Budget is around $1,500, but if I could accomplish my goals for less, than I’m all for it.  I’m also willing to buy used, so i’m open to those suggestions as well. 

SPL throughout my room seems very inconsistent with a single sub, so I’m leaning toward a dual setup.

Thanks, and I appreciate the help

For high output sealed bass, dual Epik Empires for $1500 shipped.

http://epiksubwoofers.com/dualempire.html

currently sold out, but they are hand made in Illinois. What you get there are two subs with a total of 4 15" drivers, sealed, bipole. I have the smaller dual 12" Legend sub and definitely want to add another, maybe more. The Legend is very musical and fast. I think the Empire is more intended for your use, higher output for home theater.

I have the Legend running with Magnepans and I cannot stress enough how enjoyable this sub is, how fast, accurate, musical. Haven't heard the Empire, but it gets a lot of love among the HT crowd.

So you will have huge output with a pair of those, 4 15's, low distortion, dual opposed cabinets that simply do not vibrate http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ilxNuhomirU, (<-- watch that) and it will also be the nice accurate sealed type bass.

Rclark

« Reply #11 on: 14 Jan 2013, 02:31 am »
They've been doing brisk business, good.

"For everyone else, we are working as quickly as possible to answer all emails and calls. Please be patient. We have SOLD OUT of all our subwoofers and do not have any idea when more will be available. It will be at least a month, but we will update everyone here, when we know more. We are not taking a wait-list at this time. The sale pricing has expired and will not be in affect when the products are back in-stock"

http://www.epiksubwoofers.com/blog/

well worth it if you have a little patience. He's run out of stock before but they don't take that long to get more going. That posting was from Dec 5, so we can assume they will have more soon.

For your goals and your price, this is pretty much the rimshot.

geowak

« Reply #12 on: 14 Jan 2013, 11:02 pm »
I have an SV Sound that I really like (SVS). But I second the HSU choice also. They make a great sub for HT.

falconcry

« Reply #13 on: 4 Feb 2013, 06:59 pm »
I have your same budget, and I'm going with dual SVS PC12-NSD's. I recently picked up a used older model SVS ported cylinder and it's spectacular. It digs well below 20hz for bass you can FEEL.... I noticed effects in movies I had never noticed before. I figure (2) of the newer models will be even better! This thing is very quick and tight, too.

I really don't see how you could beat these dual PC12's for the money... plus you get an awesome warranty and a 45 day risk-free trial. Awesome subs.

http://www.svsound.com/dual-subwoofers/dual-pc12-nsd#.URAEj6Vi738

medium jim

« Reply #14 on: 4 Feb 2013, 09:28 pm »
Hi Falconcry:

Welcome to the Bass Place.

Jim

*Scotty*

« Reply #15 on: 4 Feb 2013, 10:18 pm »
Let's think about the problem for minute before we start recommending sub-woofers. The OP has reported very uneven bass response throughout the room with a single sub and a lack of bass at his listening position.
 At first guess I would bet he has a problem with standing waves in his room. Secondly there is a high probability that he is sitting in a standing wave bass null located at his preferred listening position.
 If this is in fact the case, its not going to be fixed by purchasing ever larger sub-woofers no matter how strong their bass output and placing them in the original subs location. Either the listening position relative to the sub-woofer location needs to change or the sub-woofer needs to be relocated in the room. 
 Probably the best approach to try would be to purchase to two subs and locate one in the front in the original location and one on the rear wall behind the listening position. The total volume of the room doesn't sound excessively large and shouldn't be too hard to fill with bass energy unless there are a number of undisclosed openings in the room. 
Scotty

falconcry

« Reply #16 on: 5 Feb 2013, 09:21 pm »
Hi Falconcry:

Welcome to the Bass Place.

Jim

Thank you sir! I'm new to Audio Circle, but not new to audio.  8)

I need to pull the trigger on these PC12's already....

*Scotty*

« Reply #17 on: 5 Feb 2013, 11:47 pm »
Falconcry, I am a little unclear of what the SVS website is saying concerning the Dual SVS PC12-NSD sub-woofers.
Is the price on the website the cost for two subs or one sub? If it is for two subs than it appears to be a bargain.
Scotty

srb

« Reply #18 on: 5 Feb 2013, 11:58 pm »
Falconcry, I am a little unclear of what the SVS website is saying concerning the Dual SVS PC12-NSD sub-woofers.
Is the price on the website the cost for two subs or one sub? If it is for two subs than it appears to be a bargain.

All of the listings for "Dual xxx" are for pairs of subwoofers with a small discount.  A single PC12-NDS is $749.

Steve

SteveFord

• Volunteer
  • The poodle bites, the poodle chews it.
« Reply #19 on: 6 Feb 2013, 12:07 am »
I can vouch for SVS' durability.
My old box-style has been around for years and is still going strong.
I wouldn't hesitate to buy another one.