Wanted: A Home for Three Million Records

SET Man

Re: Wanted: A Home for Three Million Records
« Reply #1 on: 5 Jan 2020, 10:52 pm »
Hey!

Yup, when I saw the sentence below the headline "... in TriBeCa" I knew the rent have to do a lot with this story.

This is becoming a a norm now a days in NYC. There so many empty storefronts here in NYC. Many business, mostly small ones just can't keep up with the rent and have to shut down, many of them have been around for decades. I've been in NYC for 30 years and believe me every time I see stores that have been around for years closed down it make me sad. And usually that closed store will ended up open again as Chase banks or T-Mobile.

Sorry for the rant. I hope some big shots in music and film industry step in and help them out. But it is unlikely they will find an affordable space in NYC's Manhattan area, perhaps in some parts of Brooklyn or Queens.

Buddy

MaxHeadroom

« Reply #2 on: 6 Jan 2020, 01:12 am »
Totally agree...
  .. I've seen the everything below 14th St go from rags to riches in the last 30 years..
When I first moved in, there were crack heads, junkies and mentally ill folks all over the neighborhood.

Today, 95% of those folks are gone, and that's a good thing. What happened was the rapid gentrification of poor depressed areas.
The Bowery is now home to multi-million dollar plus glass and steel condos, boutique hotels and overpriced "luxury" stores.
Everything changes, but not always in a manner that benefits everyone.

Letitroll98

• Volunteer
  • Too loud is just right
« Reply #3 on: 7 Jan 2020, 04:41 pm »
We have a similar facility here in Pittsburgh, albeit a commercial establishment rather than a museum.  Get Hip Recordings in the Manchester section of the Northside run by the always engaging Gregg Kostelich is a record store, recording studio, performance venue, and Gregg has the largest private lp warehouse I've ever seen.  Think Raiders of the Lost Ark big, bins and boxes of new, unopened lps as far as you can see.   A must stop for all vinyl junkies living in or visiting Pittsburgh.  Gregg is also a founding member of the Cynics,a punk garage band still touring and releasing records, he also has a monthly show of traveling punk rock groups performing in the intimate venue upstairs.

I'll throw in a plug for Bicycle Heaven next door, possible the largest bicycle museum in the world with thousands of vintage and not so vintage bikes. 

Mr Rick

« Reply #4 on: 7 Jan 2020, 05:17 pm »
Michael Fremer might be I interested.

Gov

« Reply #5 on: 11 Jan 2020, 12:30 pm »
They should look across the river...lots of space in Jersey City cheaper than TriBeca. Although eventually it will come to roost there too sadly. Feels like Brooklyn and much of queens has already jumped the shark.