A2D analog-to-digital converter, best kept secret?

Mary

• Industry Participant
  • AVA Associate
A2D analog-to-digital converter, best kept secret?
« on: 18 Jul 2023, 03:56 pm »
We recently had a customer call our A2D analog-to-digital converter one of the best kept secrets in audio. We couldn't agree more.

Many users who connect their DACs directly to power amplifiers have one or two analog sources they also listen to. To do this, they typically use analog-to-digital converters built into their DACs or low-cost outboard ADCs. As a rule, these are designed for cost and simply don't measure up. That's where the A2D comes in. It's designed to the full and exacting standards needed for a true audiophile experience. Internally, the A2D uses converters found in high-performance studio equipment. These are driven by a front end that is specifically engineered to treat consumer audio signals with the greatest care.

One listen will tell you everything you need to know. Like all AVA gear, an incredible bargain.

13mh13

Re: A2D analog-to-digital converter, best kept secret?
« Reply #1 on: 16 Aug 2023, 06:45 am »
Curious about this device as it is a bit unusual offering for a company like AVA. (Which I typically attribute to bread-n-butter products like amps, pre-amps and DACs -- and not exotics, per se!!)

Is the A2D meant to digitize tape or vinyl for storage onto HDD?

How is it different to typical/popular A/D devices like Focusrite, RME (Babyface) interfaces?

What's inside the A2D? A peek under the hood and what A/D chip is used would be cool!
Thanks!

JCarney

« Reply #2 on: 16 Aug 2023, 06:40 pm »
Mary, you are just the best. I always enjoy your posts.

JCarney

Mary

• Industry Participant
  • AVA Associate
« Reply #3 on: 21 Aug 2023, 03:35 pm »
Curious about this device as it is a bit unusual offering for a company like AVA. (Which I typically attribute to bread-n-butter products like amps, pre-amps and DACs -- and not exotics, per se!!)

Is the A2D meant to digitize tape or vinyl for storage onto HDD?

How is it different to typical/popular A/D devices like Focusrite, RME (Babyface) interfaces?

What's inside the A2D? A peek under the hood and what A/D chip is used would be cool!
Thanks!

The A2D exists for one purpose: to deliver the highest quality analog-to-digital conversion for people using digital preamplifiers (i.e., a DAC connected directly to power amps). To that end, it doesn't have anything it doesn't need. This means it doesn't have a USB interface, which is typically what you'd use to rip analog streams to your computer. Instead, the A2D's digital output is a transformer-coupled, coaxial S/PDIF jack. It won't take up the precious USB input on your DAC.

The A2D is different from things like Focusrite's Scarlet series and the RME Babyface in a few important ways. The first of these we've already covered: the digital interface is coaxial S/PDIF, not USB.

Second, Scarlets, Babyfaces, and similar devices are designed to both encode and decode audio for prosumer music production. This means they have a DAC built into them alongside the ADC, very often on the same IC (a so-called CODEC IC). With the A2D, we weren't burdened by the need for a DAC. As a result, we were able to select the best analog-to-digital converter for the application without consideration of anything else.

Third, the A2D's signal conditioning has been carefully engineered to work with single-ended -10 dBV consumer-level inputs. As a rule, prosumer audio interfaces place their priority on supporting balanced +4 dBu inputs. On many of these devices we've examined, the performance on single-ended inputs suffers measurably.

I hope this answers your questions!

13mh13

« Reply #4 on: 22 Aug 2023, 12:49 am »
Oh, I get it ... it is meant as an add-on for products like AVA's own " DVA Digital Preamplifier ".

Tone Depth

• Music Lover
    • SRLPE Wheel Works
« Reply #5 on: 6 Sep 2023, 10:30 pm »
I've been using my A2D to connect my analog preamp to my digital preamp. This way I can run all of my analog sources connected to my analog preamp and it's switching capability, through my digital preamp. My digital sources directly connect to my digital preamp.