The OFFICIAL Super-7 thread

gregfisk

• Restricted
  • Us alone in the universe? sure is a waste of SPACE
Re: The OFFICIAL Super-7 thread
« Reply #360 on: 3 May 2018, 01:39 am »
Hey greg
there is enough room  on these that if you  were to cut a  slice off below the  bottom Neo 10  and the  "crown off the top, you  could get to  25"|
I don't  know how your SV baffles are fastened in place but you'd have to get them out of there.
the other thing is,  danny   has not  done  final measurements onthese,  stome changes  may still occur.

jay

Jay, my thought was to just fill the hole that P-Audio driver is in and use the existing baffle. I just don't know if the drivers will fit in the space I have available, like I said I only have 25" in height max. I don't think I can take them out. Ruben made them and they are perfect, I would hate to mess them up by ripping them apart.

Captainhemo

« Reply #361 on: 3 May 2018, 02:08 am »
Jay, my thought was to just fill the hole that P-Audio driver is in and use the existing baffle. I just don't know if the drivers will fit in the space I have available, like I said I only have 25" in height max. I don't think I can take them out. Ruben made them and they are perfect, I would hate to mess them up by ripping them apart.

Greg
Not sure how you'd ever  machine them   while they are inthe cabinet, theres a  lot of stuff going on  withthese.
I'd leave them alone. not worth   possibly  causing   damage

jay

GETRDUN

« Reply #362 on: 3 May 2018, 08:36 am »
Jupiter 10uf and 15uf copper/paper/wax caps came in today.  Just got them soldered in.  Listening to my first few tracks right now.  DAYUM!  These are a huge, huge, huge step up over the ClarityCap MRs (bypassed with .22 Jupiters) that I was using before. 

It's like switching from speaker wire made out of aluminum to speaker wire made out of very good copper.  Which, in a way, is exactly what I did.  At this point, as far as I can tell, there's not any aluminum foil in any cap anywhere in the signal path.  Except maybe in my Auralic Vega, but I'm fine with that, for now - hahaha!

Anyway, a bit more info on the sound change - DETAILS!  They just jump out at you.  I feel like I've never heard this level of detail before, on any system.  It's at the same level as what I normally hear from top-level headphones.  And everything sounds much BIGGER!  More life size.  Hell, maybe even larger than life (which I love).  Downsides?  They clearly need some burn in, as they are a bit rough/gritty sounding with zero burn in.  But even the grittiness isn't irritating, rather it just presents everything with a "Tom Waits" sort of vibe. 

I'll report back as things develop.

I have some Clarity CMR's coming for speaker crossovers, and after reading your post on the Jupiter caps, I hope they will be better SQ than the MR's. I do have some Jupiter's in my tube amps and they do sound the best so far! I could also hear some gritty and rough sounds when they were first installed.

I just wish these copper foil caps were much, much cheaper! lol

Any advice on if I should try to add some smaller value copper foil caps to the CMR's for a bypass?

Can't wait to hear your impressions once they burn in well  :thumb:

gregfisk

• Restricted
  • Us alone in the universe? sure is a waste of SPACE
« Reply #363 on: 3 May 2018, 05:14 pm »

I went backed and looked at what you are talking about, you are right, no way for me to do that myself. I don't think there is any way I can cleanly take the old piece off the way Ruben did it. I think I would end up chipping the paint.

Tyson

• Audio - It's all a big fake.
« Reply #364 on: 3 May 2018, 05:29 pm »
Copper cap updates - I got my wife to allow me to run the speakers in with pink noise at night at low volumes, so things are moving a little bit faster now.  I wish these stupid things were cheaper, too.  At least they are less expensive than the Duelands. 

As of right now, the Jupiters are still in that "good but not great" area that happens for a while during burn in.  I'm confident they'll continue to "open up" as I get more time on them, because they did the same thing when I put smaller Jupiter caps into my tube amp. 

corndog71

• Some people call me Rob.
« Reply #365 on: 3 May 2018, 05:32 pm »
I have some Clarity CMR's coming for speaker crossovers, and after reading your post on the Jupiter caps, I hope they will be better SQ than the MR's. I do have some Jupiter's in my tube amps and they do sound the best so far! I could also hear some gritty and rough sounds when they were first installed.

I just wish these copper foil caps were much, much cheaper! lol

Any advice on if I should try to add some smaller value copper foil caps to the CMR's for a bypass?

Can't wait to hear your impressions once they burn in well  :thumb:

From my experience the CMR's are just a bit more transparent over the MR's.  I've read a lot of good things about those copper caps.  I think I may pick up a pair for my tube preamp to compare to the CMR's.

Captainhemo

« Reply #366 on: 3 May 2018, 06:43 pm »
I went backed and looked at what you are talking about, you are right, no way for me to do that myself. I don't think there is any way I can cleanly take the old piece off the way Ruben did it. I think I would end up chipping the paint.

Yeah,  kind of figured they'd be tough to   take apart  hence  suggesting to leave well enough alone, don't want to damage thoose  beauties  :nono:

Using the  Clarity CMR's on the high pass and mids in Don's  NX-treme  networks. Have them bypassed with  Sonicap Platunum (high pass cap)  and Jupiter  coppers (mids).  Would have liked to  have   all  Jupiter coppers but that  100uf bundle  on the mids just puts it out of reach :(

jay

GETRDUN

« Reply #367 on: 5 May 2018, 01:46 am »
What do you guys think about this idea---> I am seriously considering having these copper foil capacitors made for both speaker crossovers (100VDC) and electronics (600VDC). I do have some good leads for getting this accomplished!

Perhaps you guys would like to state the values you would like to have. I want to be able to offer these CF caps at a very reasonable price. Most all of these manufactured CF caps are way over priced!!! I am hoping to get some prices on different values soon.

Your thoughts and input would be appreciated!

Thanks,

John

GETRDUN

« Reply #368 on: 8 May 2018, 01:33 am »
Hmmm, 3 days later and not 1 response? Perhaps I should have started a new thread on this. Didn't mean to get off subject here, just assumed some would be happy to hear that they could save $$$$ and get great sounding CF caps!  :popcorn:

Danny Richie

« Reply #369 on: 8 May 2018, 02:23 am »
Hmmm, 3 days later and not 1 response? Perhaps I should have started a new thread on this. Didn't mean to get off subject here, just assumed some would be happy to hear that they could save $$$$ and get great sounding CF caps!  :popcorn:

There might be a few skeptics out there. A lot goes into making a cap to make it sound really good.

Values? Prices?

You might want to have to trail runs made of a few values for testing and comparing.

GETRDUN

« Reply #370 on: 8 May 2018, 02:55 am »
There might be a few skeptics out there. A lot goes into making a cap to make it sound really good.

Values? Prices?

You might want to have to trail runs made of a few values for testing and comparing.

Hi Danny! Yes I agree about the skepticism!!

I am well aware of the process that goes into making a top notch capacitor! I was just curious as to which values would be most useful here. I understand that there are a lot of different values for both speakers and electronics. Was just trying to get a feel of the most popular values.

Perhaps I can send you some samples to evaluate in your electronics? PM me your values, and we can go from there.
I have already sampled some, and they are great!

John G.

rollo

• Industry Participant
  • Rollo Audio Consulting -
« Reply #371 on: 8 May 2018, 04:00 pm »
Copper cap updates - I got my wife to allow me to run the speakers in with pink noise at night at low volumes, so things are moving a little bit faster now.  I wish these stupid things were cheaper, too.  At least they are less expensive than the Duelands. 

As of right now, the Jupiters are still in that "good but not great" area that happens for a while during burn in.  I'm confident they'll continue to "open up" as I get more time on them, because they did the same thing when I put smaller Jupiter caps into my tube amp.

Tyson 500 hours be patient. The Duelund CAST took about 700 hours to stop changing. Sucks however it is what it is. Hang in there.

charles

Captainhemo

« Reply #372 on: 9 May 2018, 05:29 pm »

I actually  meant to reply to this and got  sidetracked,.
Pretty hard to pick values as so many   are used in different applications. I  know 9 , 10 ,  12,  15 uF  could  be popular.... 
I'd love to try  a pair in my Dodd pre at output  caps... think I can  probably get by with a 1uf on each channel but I'd have to do the math to be sure

jay

GETRDUN

« Reply #373 on: 9 May 2018, 09:59 pm »
I actually  meant to reply to this and got  sidetracked,.
Pretty hard to pick values as so many   are used in different applications. I  know 9 , 10 ,  12,  15 uF  could  be popular.... 
I'd love to try  a pair in my Dodd pre at output  caps... think I can  probably get by with a 1uf on each channel but I'd have to do the math to be sure

jay

Hi Jay!

Thanks for your interest! Just let me know the value you would need. I should have some pricing soon for higher values like you mentioned.

My goal here is to offer these CF caps at good pricing and still produce a world class capacitor!

Best,
John

Tyson

« Reply #374 on: 10 May 2018, 08:02 pm »
Danny, any chance you have a graph of the Super 7's impedance?  I'm about to hook up the amp linked below (Jeff Korneff 45 SET DHT amp) and wanted to make sure I didn't need to do something filter the bass from the signal or something like that:

http://www.tubeaudiolab.com/id237.html

I know that the panels impedance spikes at around 125 hz, I was wondering if that causes problems for tube amps, as they generally like to see fairly flat impedance in a load.

Danny Richie

« Reply #375 on: 10 May 2018, 08:14 pm »
Danny, any chance you have a graph of the Super 7's impedance?  I'm about to hook up the amp linked below (Jeff Korneff 45 SET DHT amp) and wanted to make sure I didn't need to do something filter the bass from the signal or something like that:

http://www.tubeaudiolab.com/id237.html

I know that the panels impedance spikes at around 125 hz, I was wondering if that causes problems for tube amps, as they generally like to see fairly flat impedance in a load.

There are no impedance spikes in these things.

It's pretty flat.

Tyson

« Reply #376 on: 10 May 2018, 08:30 pm »
Oh that is awesome news.  THANKS!!!

Tyson

« Reply #377 on: 10 May 2018, 09:16 pm »
Korneff 45 SET arrived and we are cooking with gas!  So far everything looks and sounds good. I'll test the headphone output when I get back home this evening. 

It's pretty low gain compared to my other amps.  Luckily I have plenty of gain in the rest of my system so it's fine.  2 Watts seems plenty with the Super 7s.

Sounds amazing so far!

tull skull

• I can't send hare in search of anything!
« Reply #378 on: 10 May 2018, 09:28 pm »
Looks great Tyson. Did you have Min build it or did you get a kit?

Tyson

« Reply #379 on: 11 May 2018, 02:15 am »
Looks great Tyson. Did you have Min build it or did you get a kit?

Bought it used, from Mark, here - https://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?topic=157325.0

I'm listening now and its really a great sounding amp.  Definitely among the best tube amps I've ever heard.  Somehow you have this amazing tone at the same time there's a striking clarity.  And dynamics!!  The Beethoven piano sonata I'm listening to actually made my jump a few minutes ago. 

I can see how, in a larger room, you might run out of gas.  But in my medium sized room it's startlingly lifelike in it's dynamic swings and jump factor.