« on: 27 Apr 2006, 04:14 pm »
its arrived and fired up-ups did make the control knob loose,but it works-

on lunch so no time for a qiuck review-

its alot smaller than a tempest thats for sure

tigzstudio

• Norah Jones Rocks!
a candela is burning :)
« Reply #1 on: 27 Apr 2006, 04:31 pm »
give us all impression!!! =)  before burn in and after! pleeeease.  You lucky guy!

rosconey

« Reply #2 on: 27 Apr 2006, 08:49 pm »
first hour review :o

8)  :mrgreen:  :wink:  :!:  :!:  :!:  :!:

BobC

« Reply #3 on: 28 Apr 2006, 08:00 pm »
C'mon Man let's see some pics!   :D

Also, would love to hear your impressions compared against the Tempest.

:bounce:

Thanks!

rosconey

« Reply #4 on: 28 Apr 2006, 11:01 pm »
no pics a buddy has my camera-it looks just like the one alex posted pics of-----------because it is :lol:  :lol:

let me start by saying i thought very well of my tempest,it did everything and it did it well-no complaints-my system has been unchanged for over a year i think-

but when the candela came up i wanted to try one- and since klaus takes pitty on the feeeble and slow witted i got one-

the big question is how does it compare to the tempest-well its smaller and has 2 tubes-

hope this has been some help-

anyhooo-the bass is just as tight and solid as the tempest,not the least bit slow or bloated-

i could start describing the mids and vocals but it am not a poet-so i will leave it to your imagination-imagine the tempest sound with sugar and spice-just perfect imho-very comfortable

sound stage is very big and imaging is very very nice also has good depth,all equil or better than a tempest-
the biggest thing so far is the size of the images,with the tempest they were small and narrow, with the candela they are wider but there is still a dead spot in between them like the tempest-

dead quiet in my system,you have to touch the tweeter with your ear to hear anything-

so far so good -knock on wood-

klaus and alex have a winner

tigzstudio

• Norah Jones Rocks!
« Reply #5 on: 28 Apr 2006, 11:44 pm »
nice.  I think you just solidified an order of the Candela for me. !

MaxCast

« Reply #6 on: 29 Apr 2006, 11:25 am »

I thought it was going to be in a Tempest case??
I wonder what it would look like with a blue light?
I saw some real cool green "lit-up" Mac gear in Detroit, looked cool.  

Rosco, does the Candela have a standby switch?
Does your Candela have HT pass through? if so, does it have to be on to use it?

rosconey

« Reply #7 on: 29 Apr 2006, 01:13 pm »
Quote from: MaxCast

I thought it was going to be in a Tempest case??
I wonder what it would look like with a blue light?
I saw some real cool green "lit-up" Mac gear in Detroit, looked cool.  

Rosco, does the Candela have a standby switch?
Does your Candela have HT pass through? if so, does it have to be on to use it?

no not the tempest case-things might still change,maybe a dedicated case-

no blue light-ive been bugging klaus for a few years to change my mono lights to orange-LETS GO ORANGE-he finaly got it right with the candela

just a power switch-

may have ht bypass im not sure-the last input doesnt work and i dont have a ht unit to try-

rosconey

« Reply #8 on: 29 Apr 2006, 08:41 pm »
as for a formal 72 hr review-

the tempest is now obsolete :!:
that there is no doubt-

tigzstudio

• Norah Jones Rocks!
« Reply #9 on: 29 Apr 2006, 09:46 pm »
Quote from: rosconey
as for a formal 72 hr review-

the tempest is now obsolete :!:
that there is no doubt-

:o

klaus@odyssey

« Reply #10 on: 30 Apr 2006, 07:42 am »
Rosco,
Thanks for the kind words here.

OK guys,  here is the scoop:

This unit is indeed the first real production unit in terms of internals.

The case will be changed,  but it won't be neither the Etesian case which Rosco has,  nor the Tempest case.  The height is an issue because of the tubes.  In terms of physical size think close to the Tempest,  just not sure yet if I want to make an 18" or 19" face plate,  will decide this week.

The On  switch will be in the front.

We will have a standard HT  Bypass input and an optional 2nd pair of outs,  yes.

Even though there is the tube glow coming through the glass,  we will be able to do primary lighting in different colors,  such as blue,  orange,  green,  red,  etc.  Customers choice.

Remote will be optional.

Different types of tubes will be optional as well,  still gaining experience for the design.

There is very,  very little use and heat on the tubes,  so we actually leave our units on all the time.  We'll also gain some more experience here for solid recommendations,  but obviously,  the availability and cost of the tubes themselves was a very big factor as well,  making the unit cost effective and as user friendly as possible.

MOST  importantly,  like I stated before:  yes,  the unit works well with tube amps,  but it really is optimized for solid state and digital amps,  and is as close to the harmonic correctness with liquidity and full dynamics as possible.  No romanticism here,  because in the long run,  it would only deliver a distorted picture of the music.  Sweet,  but still distorted.  In short,  our goal was to get close to the Symphonic Line erleuchtung.  While this is impossible,  because this darn thing is one of the 3 best pre amps that I have ever heard in my life (and nevermind the $ 7,000  price tag).  However,  I know that with this final version,  we have a unit that sounds similar,  definitely in the same overall sonic "rightness"  of the SL.  I honestly can't say that we are very,  very close to it,  because that would be a lie.  But boys,  for $ 1,000  this unit has to be the tube preamp out there,  and yes,  while not very,  very close,  one can still hear a lot of resemblance to my favorite preamp of all times.

Production:  like Alex said,  our bottle neck is the transformer.  Metal will be finalized and available by mid-June,  and hopefully,  we'll be able to start shipping quantities in early July.  

As for the color options of the metal  all of our regular colors will be available as well.  Another little teaser:  we'll start working with a customer of mine who is a jeweler in NYC,  and we'll be able to offer gold and platinum plated knobs with all sorts of real stones (diamonds,  etc.)  in them as indicators.  Ever wondered what "audio jewelry"  really stands for ?? :lol:

I'll be back Tuesday.

Late,

Klaus

rosconey

« Reply #11 on: 30 Apr 2006, 09:24 am »
hey klaus just so you know- i cut a hole in the top of the candela so its easier to get to the tubes-made a piece of corian as a cover-wouldnt look half bad if the corian wasnt pink :oops:

ive been listening too stuff i am very familiar with-and am floored with some of them now-

again there is nothing bad about the tempest-its just not equil to the candela

musicandnature

« Reply #12 on: 30 Apr 2006, 02:51 pm »
rosconey, I am hoping other tempest users will join me in refuting your view that tempest has a small or narrow imaging. I thought that imaging is more a function of the speakers than the preamp anyway.
I went to tempest from a more expensive tube pre and the tempest sounds better than this other well reviewed mainstream brand.

djbnh

« Reply #13 on: 30 Apr 2006, 03:35 pm »
Never have had a narrow image with my Tempest, whether it be run out to the Stratos I used to own, or the Extreme Monos I currently use. FYI - I run a modded pair of SDA 1-Cs, which were never known for a narrow soundstage. I do know that when I upgraded my preamp to the Tempest, the soundstage got larger and deeper. Plus, with my gear in my audio-only room, I've got a wicked deep soundstage to boot. Also, I love the phono section that the Tempest provides.

So, I'm not sure how many grains of salt to use in contemplating one opinion that states the Tempest is "obsolete". Lots of strokes for different folks...

rosconey

« Reply #14 on: 30 Apr 2006, 05:29 pm »
calm down fellas-i didnt imply the stage wasnt wide-if you read it again you will see i said the images are narrow in a wide soundstage-the images with the candela are bigger-

so for the slow witted-instruments sounds are bigger within the spacious soundstage of the candela- :lol:

AlexG

• Industry Participant
« Reply #15 on: 30 Apr 2006, 05:52 pm »
Rosco,

Thank you for your positive words and initial views of the Candela! :D

It will get even better…:guitar:

Alex

Randy

rosconey
« Reply #16 on: 30 Apr 2006, 06:58 pm »
You wrote: "the biggest thing so far is the size of the images,with the tempest they were small and narrow, with the candela they are wider but there is still a dead spot in between them like the tempest"

Whatever you meant, that comes across as sounding very negative toward both preamps.  "Small and narrow," a "deadspot???"  Not good is the only interpretation possible.  Maybe you need to clarify.

rosconey

« Reply #17 on: 30 Apr 2006, 10:37 pm »
not sure how you come up with the i sound negative about them-

the size of the seperate images is bigger,larger ,wider than a tempest-there is a blank,dead,black area that still seperates the bigger,larger widder sperate images,like a tempest has -in a sound stage that is not small narrow or shallow like some preamps,but large wide and deep like a tempest-

not sure if this helps :roll:

hpc

« Reply #18 on: 1 May 2006, 12:09 am »
Quote from: klaus@odyssey
Rosco,
Thanks for the kind words here.

OK guys,  here is the scoop:

This unit is indeed the first real production unit in terms of internals.

The case will be changed,  but it won't be neither the Etesian case which Rosco has,  nor the Tempest case.  The height is an issue because of the tubes.  In terms of physical size think close to the Tempest,  just not sure yet if I want to make an 18" or 19" face plate,  will decide this week.

The On  switch will be in the front.

We will have a standa ...

Klaus,

When I talked to you about my Candela, I did mention dual
outputs, but forgot to mention that I would like WTB's all around.
From the early photos, it looks like "standard" RCA's are used.
No special lighting colors - just the natural glow from tubes.

As far as tube type, what are you offering?

Looking forward to getting it in August.

bunky

« Reply #19 on: 14 May 2006, 09:19 am »
Quote from: rosconey
no pics a buddy has my camera-it looks just like the one alex posted pics of-----------because it is :lol:  :lol:

let me start by saying i thought very well of my tempest,it did everything and it did it well-no complaints-my system has been unchanged for over a year i think-

but when the candela came up i wanted to try one- and since klaus takes pitty on the feeeble and slow witted i got one-

the big question is how does it compare to the tempest-well its smaller and has 2 tubes-

hope this has  ...
Hey Rosconey,i would have to agree that the Tempest is a very fine preamplifier and i had no issues with it and only praise for it,but tubes add thier own special magic to the mix. the Candela is the next piece of gear on my list. i would love to hear it in my system and compare it to my BAT VK 3i. with the quality of the parts used in the Candela i am pretty sure i will not be disapointed. thanks....WCW III