New member's V-2 build [Complete]

Groundzero

Re: New member's V-2 build
« Reply #40 on: 2 Dec 2010, 03:26 am »
Alright finally some progress on the Padauk! I went to the seaport where my brother works after hours today and was able to use the band saw and router they have there. Here are the results:

That's all the extra wood stacked on the table  :o Now I need another project to use it up!

And the huge mess I made doing the round-over:

I got home and realized I measured wrong for the upper support, it's about 4 inches too tall. I have no idea how I did it, but it is an easy fix. Yes Yes I know, measure twice cut once. I measured 3 times, all correctly, just at the wrong length  :wink:

Sorry for the cell phone pictures, I didn't bring my normal camera.

« Last Edit: 3 Dec 2010, 04:58 am by Groundzero »

Tyson

• Audio - It's all a big fake.
« Reply #41 on: 2 Dec 2010, 05:19 am »
Looking good!  You can use the extra wood to build boxes to put either the SA-1 amps into, or the crossovers into.

Groundzero

« Reply #42 on: 4 Dec 2010, 12:43 am »
Here is a little teaser of how glossy the gloss black is  :thumb:

I plan to wet sand everything to make it as close as possible to a perfect piano black.

Tyson

• Audio - It's all a big fake.
« Reply #43 on: 4 Dec 2010, 03:28 am »
Man, you're killin' me!! :P

HT cOz

« Reply #44 on: 4 Dec 2010, 04:16 pm »

I plan to wet sand everything to make it as close as possible to a perfect piano black.

Wow, call it mirror black gloss!

kp93300

« Reply #45 on: 5 Dec 2010, 01:48 pm »
You make me envy !
keep posting.
kp93300

Outofthewoods

• Industry Participant
  • Fallen Enclosures, Inc. Crafted with Passion
« Reply #46 on: 5 Dec 2010, 08:00 pm »

Sweet!

Here's a piano black N3S (2 stage urethane) I did for a customer a while back.

Takes some elbow grease, but PB sure looks nice!

Can't wait to see those babies finished!

Ruben

Groundzero

« Reply #47 on: 5 Dec 2010, 10:39 pm »
Hey Ruben,
I have a question for you. How did you get them to be so smooth? I seem to have dust settling on mine while they are drying and leaving little marks. I know a paint booth or similar would be ideal, but all I have is a small section of basement. I was thinking about trying some car polish and an orbital buffer.

Also I have a question for anyone about how to wire them. I know which wire goes where for the 8" woofer and tweeter, but don't understand the 12" ones. Does the SA-1 power both 12 inchers, or just the lower one? The wire from my amp would plug into the Electra connectors, then split, one going to the crossover, then the other to the High Level In, then to both the 12", right?

Outofthewoods

• Industry Participant
« Reply #48 on: 6 Dec 2010, 02:53 am »
Are you spraying your finish?

I've found it nearly impossible to lay down a clean finish without using a booth. However, if you're brushing your clear on I'd imagine your chances of success would go way up as you're not blowing a bunch of air around to stir things up.

You can set up a PVC frame and wrap it in clear plastic to keep dust, lint and flying insects away, but be mindful of the fume buildup in your basement. I assume your water heater is down there? Any chance you could rent a booth for a day?

I use a huge down draft booth.

Here's a shot of some N3's in the booth after just having received a third heavy coat of clear. I finished 5 pairs of N3's from primer to clear that day! :o 

Groundzero

« Reply #49 on: 6 Dec 2010, 03:48 am »
Wow! Those are beautiful!

I'm brushing the black and clear since I don't have a spray gun. The brush strokes go away but the darn dust is ruining almost every coat. I'm thinking of going to a local auto body place and seeing if they can do it instead.  The only problem with that is my budget for these is already running on E  :duh:

What do you charge for painting? Just curious what price range I should expect if I end up having to pay someone.

Outofthewoods

• Industry Participant
« Reply #50 on: 6 Dec 2010, 04:17 am »
Wow! Those are beautiful!

Thanks man!

I'm brushing the black and clear since I don't have a spray gun. The brush strokes go away but the darn dust is ruining almost every coat. I'm thinking of going to a local auto body place and seeing if they can do it instead.  The only problem with that is my budget for these is already running on E  :duh:

Been through the dust battles myself. IMO, you'd be a lot better off having them painted in a booth either by you or a finisher. Not sure what it's like in your neck of the woods but here in the Denver area you're looking at about $45 per hour for auto finishing. Cabinet finishers might be a good place to look too. I'm not really sure what their rates are like though.

What do you charge for painting?
Not enough! :lol: I charge based on many factors. If you paid a shop just to spray them and you took it from there, it shouldn't cost much.

Here's one of those enclosures ready for drivers. :D

Groundzero

« Reply #51 on: 7 Dec 2010, 01:31 am »
Well, I found a solution. Wet sanding with 2000 grit then buffing with car polish and an orbital buffer gets it pretty darn shiny. Not quite as perfect as Ruben's sprayed ones, but I'm happy with it.

Groundzero

« Reply #52 on: 12 Dec 2010, 02:20 am »
I was finally able to get some work done on them today. Between normal responsibilities and having to make my Christmas presents I haven't had time until now. Here is another mock up:

Things left to do:
1. Give the Padauk a final sanding
2. Oil the Padauk
3. Assemble everything!

Could someone explain how the SA-1 amp is supposed to be wired into the network? The instructions don't say. Thanks!

jeffh

« Reply #53 on: 12 Dec 2010, 03:54 am »
Those look great!

corndog71

• Some people call me Rob.
« Reply #54 on: 12 Dec 2010, 06:22 am »
Dang those look good!

Guy 13

« Reply #55 on: 12 Dec 2010, 09:05 am »
Hi.
Look nice, will look nicer when completed.
Guy 13

Danny Richie

« Reply #56 on: 12 Dec 2010, 01:56 pm »
Could someone explain how the SA-1 amp is supposed to be wired into the network? The instructions don't say. Thanks!

They don't get wired into the network.

The subs have two terminals on each tab. So run a positive and negative wire from one woofer to the other to wire them in parallel. On the top woofer it doesn't matter which ones you solder to. On the lower one, it really doesn't matter either, but on the lower one, use the other set of tabs to connect the wiring from the plate amp. Red to positive and Black to negative.

That's it.

Outofthewoods

• Industry Participant
« Reply #57 on: 12 Dec 2010, 07:57 pm »
Very nice! :drool:

Are you planning on painting the inside of the lower section?

Ruben

Groundzero

« Reply #58 on: 12 Dec 2010, 08:10 pm »
They don't get wired into the network.

The subs have two terminals on each tab. So run a positive and negative wire from one woofer to the other to wire them in parallel. On the top woofer it doesn't matter which ones you solder to. On the lower one, it really doesn't matter either, but on the lower one, use the other set of tabs to connect the wiring from the plate amp. Red to positive and Black to negative.

That's it.

Thanks Danny. I wasn't sure before if the SA-1 powered both 12" or only the lower one.

Ruben,
Once I apply the No-Rez all MDF should be hidden.

Outofthewoods

• Industry Participant
« Reply #59 on: 12 Dec 2010, 08:16 pm »
Ruben,
Once I apply the No-Rez all MDF should be hidden.

Okay, I see.

Thanks,

Ruben