Audio meeet 8/29 at Art's in Ft. Worth......

Hugh

• Industry Participant
    • Angel City Audio
Re: Audio meeet 8/29 at Art's in Ft. Worth......
« Reply #20 on: 1 Sep 2009, 01:01 am »
SA,

I see no red?

Also, I'm tempted to get on your bandwagon for the dual Rythmik.

Thanks for the pictures.

arthurs

« Reply #21 on: 1 Sep 2009, 01:05 am »
SA,

I see no red?

We decided taking pictures of alcohol we were drinking meant we had a problem...so, no pictures of red, but it was consumed...

Hugh

• Industry Participant
    • Angel City Audio
« Reply #22 on: 1 Sep 2009, 01:07 am »
Ah, cool.  :)

Btw, I saw that SH still was not sure which end of the cables is which? ;) :D
SA,

I see no red?

We decided taking pictures of alcohol we were drinking meant we had a problem...so, no pictures of red, but it was consumed...

KCI-JohnP

« Reply #23 on: 1 Sep 2009, 01:09 am »
Hugh, the dual Rythmiks...oh boy talk about sweet! aa

There's a picture of the "Lady in charge", Thank you Kathy!

I do see those cows Art, I also see the ever so elusive and rare "Bush-cow"! Man he's a beauty..... :wink: Say, why don't you grab that Airsoft gun and go after him like you did those wasps!! :guns:

ETA: Oh, great pictures Art, I see some purple cables here and there!! I left my camera at work like a twat waffle..... :duh:

arthurs

« Reply #24 on: 1 Sep 2009, 01:12 am »
Say, why don't you grab that Airsoft gun and go after him like you did those wasps!! :guns:

It won't be the same without you standing there doing nothing, watching, not helping, at all, not one bit....twat waffle...   :thumb: :lol:

zybar

• Volunteer
  • Dutch and Dutch 8C's…yes they are that good!
« Reply #25 on: 1 Sep 2009, 01:14 am »
Great pics and looks like a lot of fun.

Are more details forthcoming on the gear?

George

arthurs

« Reply #26 on: 1 Sep 2009, 01:17 am »

George

What kind of details would you like George?  maybe a couple questions will jump start some discussion... the group in attendance has been pretty quiet about the gear...:scratch:

KCI-JohnP

« Reply #27 on: 1 Sep 2009, 01:18 am »
Say, why don't you grab that Airsoft gun and go after him like you did those wasps!! :guns:

It won't be the same without you standing there doing nothing, watching, not helping, at all, not one bit....twat waffle...   :thumb: :lol:

Hey, I'm a forward controler-I was directing your line of fire! Besides, I figured surely someone of your stature could handle a little measly wasp nest with no more than 50-60 VERY angry Yellow Jackets on it. Oh, and don't forget who came up with the "big long stick of destruction", yeah, that's right!

arthurs

« Reply #28 on: 1 Sep 2009, 01:20 am »

Hey, I'm a forward controler-I was directing your line of fire! Besides, I figured surely someone of your stature could handle a little measly wasp nest with no more than 50-60 VERY angry Yellow Jackets on it. Oh, and don't forget who came up with the "big long stick of destruction", yeah, that's right!

Spin it how you like buddy, forward controlling = doing nothing...and yeah, thanks for pointing out the pool brush...again, pointed it out, didn't grab it and do anything... :lol:

Hugh

• Industry Participant
    • Angel City Audio
« Reply #29 on: 1 Sep 2009, 01:20 am »
Yes John, I was waiting for SA to spill the bean on those 2 nice little guys and all he's been mumbling the last few posts was something akin to cows and sheeps...  :thumb:
Hugh, the dual Rythmiks...oh boy talk about sweet! aa

There's a picture of the "Lady in charge", Thank you Kathy!

I do see those cows Art, I also see the ever so elusive and rare "Bush-cow"! Man he's a beauty..... :wink: Say, why don't you grab that Airsoft gun and go after him like you did those wasps!! :guns:

ETA: Oh, great pictures Art, I see some purple cables here and there!! I left my camera at work like a twat waffle..... :duh:

arthurs

« Reply #30 on: 1 Sep 2009, 01:24 am »
The Rythmiks are very fast and nice and full.  they keep nice pace with the 9's low end, which is very fast...I'm running the 9's full range right now and layering in the Rythmiks crossed over at 40...I like the way it sounds quite a bit, but know I can do better integrating them, I just have to find the time....they give the lowest low end some more meat on the bone and a finishing touch I really am enjoying.  Brian thinks I need to go 15" so I'm getting more curious about that as I listen.

I'm a newbie to subs, so any advice would be appreciated.

KCI-JohnP

« Reply #31 on: 1 Sep 2009, 01:25 am »

George

What kind of details would you like George?  maybe a couple questions will jump start some discussion... the group in attendance has been pretty quiet about the gear...:scratch:

Yep, disappointing... :dunno: :thumbdown:

Hugh

• Industry Participant
    • Angel City Audio
« Reply #32 on: 1 Sep 2009, 01:28 am »
So far so good.

Are they playing nicely with the 9s?

Are you keeping those 2 upstairs?
The Rythmiks are very fast and nice and full.  they keep nice pace with the 9's low end, which is very fast...I'm running the 9's full range right now and layering in the Rythmiks crossed over at 40...I like the way it sounds quite a bit, but know I can do better integrating them, I just have to find the time....they give the lowest low end some more meat on the bone and a finishing touch I really am enjoying.  Brian thinks I need to go 15" so I'm getting more curious about that as I listen.

I'm a newbie to subs, so any advice would be appreciated.

zybar

• Volunteer
  • Dutch and Dutch 8C's…yes they are that good!
« Reply #33 on: 1 Sep 2009, 01:29 am »

George

Ok, here are a few...

How about some more info on those platforms?

How about some details on the little Dodd combo?

Any comments on the Majik or Uber Buss?

How do the V2's compare to the V1's?

How do the Rythmik subs compare to the LS9's or Danny's OB bass from the V2's or V1's?

George

arthurs

« Reply #34 on: 1 Sep 2009, 01:34 am »
I'll take the platforms...

Appogg is a new company out of Austin Texas and I got to know Aaron when I was down there for an audio meet.  The platforms are custom built for my VAC's, have a piano black base box, some goop and viscous materials in them (see Aaron, I used viscous!) that is top secret and about a 3/4" thick acrylic top plate.  Mine are loaded to account for the weight of the VAC's being on the back half of the amps.  i believe they will be offering a "works with most anything" version as well as their custom offerings.  What I've noticed so far is they really quiet things down and add a level of air around everything while (confusingly) making it sound smoother at the same time....they really are spectacular and worth looking into.  I'll have Aaron post some more here about his products.  I'll be ordering them for my pre and the power supply to it as well.

http://www.appoggsystems.com/

KCI-JohnP

« Reply #35 on: 1 Sep 2009, 01:35 am »
Yes John, I was waiting for SA to spill the bean on those 2 nice little guys and all he's been mumbling the last few posts was something akin to cows and sheeps...  :thumb:

Yes Hugh, he seems to have some strange attachment to Sheep, not sure why... :wink:

The Rythmik subs are great subs with gobs of power but they have quite a bit of finesse too. I'm used to subs as I went through quite a few before I found the ACI Titan II LE, it was one of very few that was fast enough to blend in with Martin Logans and could just disappear. The Rythmik subs are of that caliber as well but with more power; fast, detailed and musical, not just a one note sub if you know what I mean. They're beautiful too!

Danny Richie

• Industry Contributor
    • http://www.gr-research.com
« Reply #36 on: 1 Sep 2009, 01:36 am »
My thoughts on the gear....

The Onix CD player was a surprise. It sounded much better than I thought it would. It was top notch!

Not a surprise was how the little system opened up and the top end became cleaner and more extended when we dropped KCI John's cables in. His cables are great.

The real gem to me was Gary Dodd's new battery powered tube amp and new battery powered pre-amp. The pre-amp is actually passive but uses an active tube buffer. All of this was running off a single 12 volt battery. It ran on it all day and barely even dropped the voltage. Both the amp and pre are very efficient. The noise floor was non-existent. Absolute dead quiet and great from top to bottom. These two pieces top my list of best sounding gear and neither are even very expensive ($995 each). These two pieces of gear could set a new performance standard for everything else to be measured by. The real question is how long it will take for everyone to figure out how good it really is and get on board.

Big thanks again to Art and his wife too. It was a lot of fun. The people were great, and it was good to meet a few new guys.  :thumb: :thumb:

arthurs

« Reply #37 on: 1 Sep 2009, 01:39 am »
Danny left an Uber here and I'll be getting to that this weekend...so more to come there.  We never did a/b anything with and without the Buss, at least not that I heard, but the system with them in it downstairs sounded good FWIW

KCI-JohnP

« Reply #38 on: 1 Sep 2009, 02:01 am »
How about some details on the little Dodd combo?

I'll give the Dodd minis a whirl; They both are small but not fragile or girly looking at all, though my wife kept saying "how cute they are". Hey, that's a good thing, WAF is very important and she loved them, so did my son.

The first thing you notice is the back ground noise; there isn't any-at all. SUPER quiet and smooth, they do have just a slight tube sound to them but it's a good tube sound, no veil what so ever just a little bit of warmth-just enough to add life to the music. The detail is all there but it's passed to you in a manner that is very smooth, effortless....I think the word I'm looking for is flow, the music just seems to flow out of the speaker. When Gary told me they were 15 wpc I was surprised, they sound much more powerful yet with grace. They can run off of a standard 12V battery but Gary brought a large car battery and after we had listened to them cranked up for a couple of hours they had used less than 1% of the batteries power! They have to be VERY effecient to pull that off. You just don't realize what lack of noise means until you hear these babies running on batteries, then you know. Very impressive especially considering you can get both Preamp and amp for just a hair under $2K!

Sorry George, a reviewer I'm not so the words escape me, but that's what I heard. Let me say this; I would not hesitate to plop down the cash for them if I had a place for them, they're that good.

John

ETA: Oops, Danny beat me to the Dodd minis. :duh:

Hugh

• Industry Participant
    • Angel City Audio
« Reply #39 on: 1 Sep 2009, 02:10 am »
Yeah,

Shouldn't we start addressing him as King Sheep or Lord of The Sheep from now on? :D

I think I might just go ahead and get 2 of those subs then. :)

Yes Hugh, he seems to have some strange attachment to Sheep, not sure why... :wink:

The Rythmik subs are great subs with gobs of power but they have quite a bit of finesse too. I'm used to subs as I went through quite a few before I found the ACI Titan II LE, it was one of very few that was fast enough to blend in with Martin Logans and could just disappear. The Rythmik subs are of that caliber as well but with more power; fast, detailed and musical, not just a one note sub if you know what I mean. They're beautiful too!