VMPS Speakers For Sale...!

Stimpy

Re: VMPS Speakers For Sale...!
« Reply #160 on: 2 Jul 2014, 12:34 pm »
For my sake, I hope good luck means Cindy Margolis wants to buy my subs :lol:.

Wow! 

I must be either getting old, or out of touch; as I didn't know who Cindy Margolis was!?!    :o
Glad that I took the time to look her up!      :P :oops: :wink:

Plus, if Cindy Margolis showed up to buy your subs, I wouldn't be surprised if you forgot to
collect the ca$h...!!!     :notworthy: 

Stimpy

« Reply #161 on: 3 Jul 2014, 07:24 pm »
VMPS Tower II/ Super Tower Floor-Standing Speakers High Quality Set - (Terre Haute, IN)  $2400    ( :o )

http://bloomington.craigslist.org/ele/4551253065.html

"For sale: Set of VMPS Floor-Standing Speakers, Tower II/Super Tower originally from ITone Audio of El Sobrante, CA. Impedence 4 Ohms. 17" deep x 15" wide x 45" tall. Rounded corners. Medium oak with piano black top and base. 5-point "Setup Instructions" are on the back of each speaker. Bass damping is user-adjustable. Full "Operating Instructions" are also on the back of each speaker, including "Switches and Controls", diagrams of "Toggle Switch" and "Supertweeter Level" adjustment, and "Biamp Operation". Serial numbers are #8170 and #8172, stamped on back. The front covers are in great condition and snap on and off easily. The sound from these speakers is exquisite.

These speakers are fully operational and have been in a climate controlled environment.

If you have any questions or are ready to purchase please call. We would appreciate if calls are received during daylight hours only. Reasonable offers will be considered"

John Casler

« Reply #162 on: 5 Jul 2014, 03:25 pm »
Wow! 

I must be either getting old, or out of touch; as I didn't know who Cindy Margolis was!?!    :o
Glad that I took the time to look her up!      :P :oops: :wink:

Plus, if Cindy Margolis showed up to buy your subs, I wouldn't be surprised if you forgot to
collect the ca$h...!!!     :notworthy:

Too late, Cindy showed up last week to pick up a couple LARGERS and told me "size DID matter"  (just kidding of course) :lol:

John Casler

« Reply #163 on: 5 Jul 2014, 03:28 pm »
One of my great VMPS customers in PA, sold (or handed down to) his sister his VMPS RM-2's, along with a lot of other gear.

She recently texted me that she was moving and had to sell all.

She lives in the San Diego/LaJolla area.

I will get pricing and a list of items.

TAFKA Steve

« Reply #164 on: 5 Jul 2014, 10:43 pm »
Too late, Cindy showed up last week to pick up a couple LARGERS and told me "size DID matter"  (just kidding of course) :lol:

Day-um!  I got cockblocked by a man with bigger subs and bigger muscles. :evil:

Maybe Petra Verkaik needs a pair of subs. :wink:

« Last Edit: 6 Jul 2014, 12:03 am by TAFKA Steve »

Stimpy

« Reply #165 on: 7 Jul 2014, 05:33 pm »
VMPS RM-40 Brazilian Wood  -  (Monarch Bay, CA)   $3,399.00

http://app.audiogon.com/listings/monitors-vmps-rm-40-brazilian-wood-2014-07-07-speakers-92629-monarch-bay-ca

"Local Buyer wanted for these beautiful VMPS RM-40 speakers.  Cartons are long gone - Buyer arranges pickup, wrapping, delivery as needed. Orange County, San Diego County, LA and Imperial County you are in luck.

Selling audiophile and inventor’s, the late Brian Kyle of Xtreme Cables & Xtreme AV’s, beloved speakers. They are in very good condition, and have been upgraded to top of the line RM-40s.  Purchase price $6995.00. Asking only $3399.00. John Casler has assured me that they have all of the bells and whistles one would want for a great system and they were part of Brian’s dealer reference system containing Atma Sphere tube amps and pre amp.

The left speaker tweeter ribbon is torn, a new replacement tweeter has been purchased but not installed.  A few screws and a solder is all it will take to remove and install the new one.  I don’t want to touch it (Brian’s sister - not good with hands or wires) so am looking for a buyer who realizes what a small fix this is, and will not be intimidated by the easy repair.

Specifications

Two 1" Tweeters, Four 8" Neodymium Midrange Panels, Two 10" Woven Carbon Fiber Woofers

Nominal Impedance: 4 Ohms

- 3 dB at 24 Hz

Power Handling 500W

Bi-Wireable

Dimensions: 66" H x 12.5" W x 17" D

Weight: 240 lbs each

This 240 lb, 66” tall floorstanding speaker boasts the 10” Woven Carbon Fiber Megawoofer lowbass and 10” WCF midbass from our acclaimed FF3 SRE in a symmetrical array with four 8” Neodymium midrange ribbon panels (166Hz to 10 kHz) and two 1” spiral ribbon tweeters (flat to 25 kHz) in a column only 12.5” wide and 17” deep. Thin dimensions and full driver symmetry guarantee pinpoint imaging and a soundstage both wide and deep, with layering and detail that is simply breathtaking. Cabinetry is one and one half inch thick MDF baffles ( plus 1 1/8” sides and top) treated with Soundcoat for 10dB less panel vibration. The result is 24Hz bass with ultraclean 115dB/1M output levels. . A free-swing tweeter is suspended top and bottom only and is transformer-operated.

From an email from Brian Cheney owner of VMPS. (Sadly he too passed away not too long ago).

“We offer Auricaps as a $550/pair option and TRT’s as a $1,200/pair option. Analysis Plus 12 gauge silver bass wire adds $400. With maximum upgrades (excluding cabinetry), the RM 40 maxes out at $6,600/pair including shipping. The pair heard at CES and submitted for review lacked only the Analysis Plus silver wire. It lists for $6,200/pair including shipping in 48 states.”

The 240 pound, 66” tall floor-standing RM 40 derives its name from its 40” vertical ribbon mid/tweeter array. The speaker boasts the 10” Woven Carbon Fiber Megawoofer lowbass and 10” WCF midbass from VMPS in a symmetrical array with four 8” Neodymium midrange ribbon panels (166 Hz to 10 kHz) and one free-swinging tweeter (flat to 25 kHz) in a column 12.5” wide and 17” deep. VMPS claims “thin dimensions and full driver symmetry guarantee pinpoint imaging and a soundstage both wide and deep, with layering and detail that is simply breathtaking.” Cabinetry is one and one half inch thick MDF baffles (plus 1-1/8” sides and top) treated with Soundcoat for 10 dB less panel vibration. The result is 24 Hz bass with ultraclean 115 dB/1M output levels.”

The website also states, “Neodymium is a relatively new alloy that can hold eight times the charge (i.e., magnetic field strength) of old strontium ferrite panels while providing sufficient energy to extend the light, quick ribbon (1.25 g moving mass) down to its 166 Hz cutoff. There is no stray field from the Neo magnet structure, linearity is unsurpassed, and fidelity to source is outstanding, far beyond the capacities of even the best cones and domes regardless of shape, size, or diaphragm material.”

There are three ways to operate the RM 40. The first is full range, with a single amplifier as a source. This is how I operated the speaker. As such, the system presents a steady 4 Ohm load, resistive above 166 Hz, with 90 dB/1W sensitivity.

Audiophiles can easily switch to the bi-amp/bi-wire configuration via the back-baffle toggle switch, and run a separate bass amp through the speaker’s passive bass and mid/treble crossovers (which consist of all premium parts such as Axon polypropylene caps and hi-Q Erse 14 gauge laminated core inductors).

The third option is bi-amping with the passive bass crossover removed, an outboard 24 dB/octave electronic crossover driving a separate bass amp, and a second amp running the ribbon panels through their built-in 6 and 12 dB filters. The latter setup allows bass levels to be set with great precision (0.01 dB increments) and crossover frequency to be adjusted Hertz-by-Hertz. The VMPS electronic crossover designed for this purpose sells for an additional $950, and requires a second amplifier.

The RM 40 is a tunable speaker. Not only does it offer separate treble and midrange controls, easily accessible and adjusted from the rear of the speaker, but it also features a downward-firing passive radiator hidden at the very bottom of the cabinet that can be fine-tuned by means of applying or removing bits of a small ball of putty secured on its cone. The VMPS website contains a long discussion of how this may be accomplished. Such adjustments, as well as a choice of caps and wiring, allow the speaker to optimally function in a wide variety of system set-ups.

Actual pictures will be added soon but they look just like the ones found on the web - shown here.

Please no low ball offers.  Thank you"

Stimpy

« Reply #166 on: 7 Jul 2014, 11:11 pm »
UPDATED, With A More Detailed Item Description.  July 11, 14

Well, there are VMPS speakers included.  But, not much in the way of details?  Everything that a growing boy could need !!!  :o

SUPERIOR SYSTEM, PARASOUND ESS,VMPS, VANDERSTEEN, JBL JUBAL, PRO-JECT,JOLIDA  -  (Sun City, California)  US $15,000.00

http://www.ebay.com/itm/251581721427

"WHAT IS BEING OFFERED HERE WILL BE UPDATED WITH DETAILED DESCRIPTION LATER BUT FOR NOW VERY BRIEF THIS IS A 2 CHANNEL / SURROUND SOUND SYSTEM USING A PARASOUND HALO C2 PRE/PRO , A PROJECT RM 5.1 TURNTABLE WITH A ORTOFON MC 30 SUPER CARTRIDGE, A JOLIDA JD-9 PHONO PREAMP (v1) WITH 1971 NOS TESLA TUBES AND A JOLIDA JD 100 CD PLAYER WITH 1959 NOS MULLARD TUBES, THIS SYSTEM USES 14 AMPLIFIERS AND IS HOOKED UP PERFECTLY LIKE NOTHING YOU HAVE EVER SEEN OR HEARD, BUT WILL REQUIRE 3 DEDICATED LINES (3 outlets/6 plugs) USING 12AWG AND 20 AMP BREAKERS INSTALLED DIRECT TO THE SYSTEM TO OPERATE PROPERLY, NOT SEEN IN PICTURES BUT PART OF SURROUND SOUND SYSTEM IS 8 BASS SHAKERS LOCATED IN THE COUCH , FEEL FREE TO ASK ANY AND ALL YOUR QUESTIONS STAY TUNED FOR MORE DETAILS SOON, located in Sun City CA. for a demo"

ADDED July 11, 14

"{FIRST I MUST SAY I WANT TO START THE BIDDING AT 17K BUT EBAY WONT LET ME SELL ANYTHING MORE THAN 15K RIGHT NOW, SO THAT STILL NEEDS TO GET WORKED OUT... THIS IS A 2 CHANNEL / SURROUND SOUND SYSTEM USING A PARASOUND HALO C2 PRE/PRO , A PROJECT RM 5.1 TURNTABLE WITH A ORTOFON MC 30 SUPER CARTRIDGE, A JOLIDA JD-9 PHONO PREAMP (v1) WITH 1971 NOS 12AX7 TESLA TUBES AND A JOLIDA JD 100 CD PLAYER WITH 1959 NOS 12AX7 MULLARD TUBES, THIS SYSTEM USES 14 AMPLIFIERS AND IS HOOKED UP DISTRIBUTING POWER PERFECTLY LIKE NOTHING YOU HAVE EVER SEEN OR HEARD, BUT WILL REQUIRE 3 DEDICATED LINES (3 outlets/6 plugs) USING 12AWG AND 20 AMP BREAKERS INSTALLED DIRECT TO THIS SYSTEM TO OPERATE PROPERLY, NOT SEEN IN PICTURES IS 8 BASS SHAKERS LOCATED IN THE COUCH , AT THE HEART OF MY SYSTEM IS A PAIR OF CUSTOM BUILT "RGS" SPEAKERS THAT HAVE 3 CABS ON EACH SIDE THAT MAKE UP 1 SPEAKER BUILT BY THE PRODUCTION MANAGER FOR MANY YEARS AT VMPS WHEN THEY WERE AT THERE PEAK, RALPH GLEMBOTSKI IS THE CREATOR , THIS WAS A "SPEACIAL" PROJECT HE DID YEARS AGO THAT HAVE 4 PHILLIP DOME TWEETERS, 4 AUDEX DOME TWEETERS, 2 JVC RIBBONS, 2 AUDEX 6 1/2 CROSSED OVER FOR LOWER FREQUENCY MIDS, 4 JVC MIDS, AND AN ESS RIBBON, 17 COMPONENTS MAKE UP THIS CAB WITH 3 NICE GAIN CONTROLS LOCATED ON THE FRONT OF THE CAB FOR THE PHILLIPS AND JVC MIDS AND THE 6 1/2 LOW MIDS, ALL CROSSOVERS ARE INTERNAL AND I THINK THE CAB RUNS AT ABOUT 5 OHMS , THE HAFLER DH 500 AMP WITH 255 *WATTS PER CHANNEL (*WPC) (rated at 8 ohms) USED TO RUN THIS CAB HAS NO PROBLEM EVER! NOR HAVE I EVER BLOWN A SPEAKER IN THIS CAB OR ANY SPEAKER IN THE WHOLE SYSTEM FOR THAT MATTER, THEN THERE IS A CAB WITH EIGHT 8'S (again approx 5 ohms, and the PL 700 has no issues other than runs a bit warmer than the PL running the 10's which is above 6 ohms) THE 4 WOOFERS ON THE BOTTOM USE A RUBBER SURROUND AND SOUND A BIT LOWER IN FREQUENCY, THE TOP FOUR HAVE A BIT MORE PUNCH THESE WOOFERS ARE SOMETHING THAT THE LATE BRIAN CHENEY OWNER OF VMPS EITHER MADE OR ACQUIRED, THIS CAB HAS NO INTERNAL CROSSOVERS THAT JOB IS FOR A PYRAMID CR73G MADE FOR CARS, BUT! RALPH HOOKED THIS UP USING A CONVERTER AND HAS WORKED AND SOUNDED GREAT ! I RUN THIS CAB JUST A TAD BELOW 400 HZ THIS CAN BE CHANGED ON THE FLY AS YOU SEE THE CROSSOVERS LOCATED NEXT TO THE PHASE LINEAR 700 WHICH HAS 350 WPC WHICH HAS BEEN TOTALLY REBUILT BY A GUY IN WA. NAMED ED BLACKWELL MORE COULD BE SAID BUT LETS JUST CONCLUDE EDS SOURCES ARE AS CLOSE TO THE NOW GONE PHASE LINEAR AS YOU CAN GET! BOTH PL 700'S HAVE BEEN REBUILT BY ED, THE BIG THUD THAT THESE AMPS ARE KNOWN FOR WHEN TURNING OFF ARE NOW, SO VERY MINIMAL, THANKS TO ED BLACKWELL! I TOOK COVERS OFF THE BACK AS ED TOLD ME TO FOR BETTER COOLING, THESE AMPS WERE SUCH A SCORE!!! NEXT, THE CAB WITH FOUR 10'S AND AN ACTIVE 15 FIRING AT THE FLOOR AGAIN A VMPS SOURCE , THE PYRAMID FOR THIS CAB IS SET AT 120 HZ , SO THE 8'S AT 400 HZ PRODUCE A LOW MID, VOCALS HEARD VERY EASY AS WELL AS THE MUSIC IN THAT RANGE PLUS THE TIGHT BASS AN 8 PRODUCES POWERD BY THE PL 700 ITS LIKE NOTHING ELSE , THE CAB WITH THE 10'S and 15 GO SO DARN LOW ITS UNBELIEVABLE, THE MIDS AND TWEETERS HAVE A BEAUTIFULL MIDRANGE WITH HIGHS THAT ARE REVEALING WITHOUT BEING HARSH! THIS SYSTEM WOULD BE LACKING WITHOUT THE "RALPH GLEMBOTSKI SPECIALS" AT THE FOUNDATION! NEXT PAIR OF SPEAKERS IS THE ESS AMT 1B, ON TOP OF THE RGS MID CAB, THIS IS A SWEET SPEAKER THAT RICKY AT ESS BUILT FOR ME RECENTLY , WITH NOS BLACK CABS LEFT OVER FROM ESS WHEN THEY WERE IN SACRAMENTO, ALL ORIGINAL 1B COMPONENTS RECONED WOOFER, NEW 12 INCH FLAT PASSIVE ON THE REAR WIRED TO SPEC OF THE ORIGNAL 1B'S , IF YOU KNOW ESS I DONT HAVE TO TELL YOU HOW AWESOME THIS SPEAKER SOUNDS, NEXT SPEAKER ON TOP OF THE RGS 10 CAB IS THE VMPS TOWER 2 SPEACIAL EDITION STILL WITH THE FOCAL T 120 TWEETER THE FOAM IS STILL GOOD ON THIS TWEETER AS I PRESEVED IT BY ADDING A SMALL AMOUNT OF SILICONE TO THE FOAM , THE SE USES BETTER CROSSOVERS AND SOUND COAT IN THE CAB THIS SPEAKER RETAILED FOR OVER 2 GRAND, SUPER NATURAL YET DYNAMIC SPEAKER WITH A 12 INCH PASSIVE FIRING DOWN, NEXT PAIR OF SPEAKERS IS THE VMPS TOWER 3 SE THE 8 FOCAL T 120'S THAT USE TO BE PRESENT HAVE BEEN REPLACED BY A TWEETER RALPH TOLD ME TO USE AND I MADE THEM FIT PERFECTLY, SPEAKERS INCLUDE 4 INVERTED TWEETERS 1 PHILLIPS RIBBON 2 CARBON FIBER 10'S 4 CARBON FIBER MIDS, ONE 12 ONE 15 AND A 15 INCH PASSIVE FIRING AT THE FLOOR , THE VMPS TOWER 3'S WON BEST IN SHOW AT CES I THINK AROUND YEAR 2000, THE NEXT PAIR OF SPEAKERS ON TOP OF THE TOWER 3'S IS THE ESS AMT 10 B ALL ORIGINAL BUT RALPH INSTALLED RUBBER SURROUND ON THE WOOFER THE BACK HAS A 10 INCH SIMI NEW FLAT PASSIVE, I STILL MARVAL HOW MUCH LOW BASS COMES FROM THESE SPEAKERS!! ALL THE SPEAKERS ABOVE OTHER THAN THE 2 BASS CABS OF THE RGS SPEAKERS ARE ALL POWERED BY THE WARM SMOOTH SOUNDING 255 WPC HAFLER DH 500'S. THE VMPS 12 INCH CARBON FIBER SUB LEFT OF THE TV HAS A 12 INCH PASSIVE... THE OTHER SUB HAS THE SAME WOOFER BUT IN AN OLD "VISONIC HIFI" CAB BOTH POWERED BY A HARMAN KARDON CITATION 22 AMP RATED @ 200 WPC, AJUSTABLE CROSSOVER FOR SUBS LOCATED IN THE PARASOUND HALO C2. I WILL CONTINUE MORE DETAILS LATER"

« Last Edit: 11 Jul 2014, 12:39 pm by Stimpy »

Stimpy

« Reply #167 on: 8 Jul 2014, 01:15 am »
Vintage Pair VMPS Audio Products Tower II "Super Tower" Minimum Phase Response  -  (Lowell, Indiana)  $399.99 Buy It Now

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Vintage-Pair-VMPS-Audio-Products-Tower-II-Super-Tower-Minimum-Phase-Response-/151349307909?pt=Speakers_Subwoofers&hash=item233d1f2a05

"VMPS Audio Products "Super Towers" are up for sale as is for pick up only. All drivers and switches are functional in these speakers, one of the woofers on each speakers needs a foam replacement.
Cosmetically these cabinets are in good condition with only some minor scratching and a few dings here and there, nothing to noticeable at all.

PLEASE NOTE ALL FAULTS SHOWN IN PICTURES ARE CONSIDERED PART OF THE DESCRIPTION.

ALL ITEMS ARE EXPERTLY PACKED TO ARRIVE IN GOOD ORDER.

The items we sell are vintage items. Since all of our items come from local estates or auctions, we offer no warranty, either expressed or implied. We will tell you if an item has been tested, to what degree it has been tested and what functions work or don't work. All items are sold AS IS/WHERE IS.

All items are available for local pick up at no cost. We can work with just about any schedule

WE NEED CONTACT WITHIN 48 HOURS WITH PAYMENT INTENTIONS & Payment is expected within 4 days of invoice. We do file with ebay if payment is not received within 4 days. If you need additional time, please let us know. We accept PayPal, payments via mail or cash at pick up. Please inquire for more info.

These Speakers for pick up only in Lowell, Indiana 46356.

ALL INDIANA SALES & ITEMS PICKED UP & PAID FOR HERE IN INDIANA ARE SUBJECT TO 7% INDIANA SALES TAX"

James Romeyn

• Industry Participant
  • James Romeyn Music and Audio, LLC
« Reply #168 on: 8 Jul 2014, 03:58 am »

The floor standing speaker system lowermost rightmost in the image: See the two 17cm mid bass, horizontal, about ear level seated?  Those are Audax HIF17JVX2CA12 (IIRC), the exact same mid bass John Bau employed in his legendary original Spica TC50.  The white 13cm mid ranges are by JVC and I forgot the model. 

This may be the strangest image I have seen on the web.  Why?  Because I knew well the person who built those bizarre speakers.  In fact those were in his home about 36 years ago.  His name is Ralph Glembotzki and he used to work for Brian.  Ralph lived with his mom about a half block up from an old building where Marty Balin used to practice with his band in San Anselmo (Marin County), about two blocks S of Sir Francis Drake Bl.  I was walking by one day, saw Marty, rushed to my home in Sleepy Hollow, got the record, and Marty signed it.   

I would sure like to know exactly how the heck those weird speakers ended up in Sun City, CA!  Maybe I'll ask him at ebay.     

Those speakers totally cranked when powered by Ralph's old Mitsubishi 150W DA10 power amp (or whatever was the model name).   

Stimpy

« Reply #169 on: 10 Jul 2014, 12:13 pm »
PRICE DROP    (:roll:)

VMPS Tower II/ Super Tower Floor-Standing Speakers High Quality Set  -  (Terre Haute, IN)   $2200

http://bloomington.craigslist.org/ele/4551253065.html

"For sale: Set of VMPS Floor-Standing Speakers, Tower II/Super Tower originally from ITone Audio of El Sobrante, CA. Impedence 4 Ohms. 17" deep x 15" wide x 45" tall. Rounded corners. Medium oak with piano black top and base. 5-point "Setup Instructions" are on the back of each speaker. Bass damping is user-adjustable. Full "Operating Instructions" are also on the back of each speaker, including "Switches and Controls", diagrams of "Toggle Switch" and "Supertweeter Level" adjustment, and "Biamp Operation". Serial numbers are #8170 and #8172, stamped on back. The front covers are in great condition and snap on and off easily. The sound from these speakers is exquisite.

These speakers are fully operational and have been in a climate controlled environment.

If you have any questions or are ready to purchase please call. We would appreciate if calls are received during daylight hours only. Reasonable offers will be considered"

Stimpy

« Reply #170 on: 10 Jul 2014, 12:17 pm »
The floor standing speaker system lowermost rightmost in the image: See the two 17cm mid bass, horizontal, about ear level seated?  Those are Audax HIF17JVX2CA12 (IIRC), the exact same mid bass John Bau employed in his legendary original Spica TC50.  The white 13cm mid ranges are by JVC and I forgot the model. 

This may be the strangest image I have seen on the web.  Why?  Because I knew well the person who built those bizarre speakers.  In fact those were in his home about 36 years ago.  His name is Ralph Glembotzki and he used to work for Brian.  Ralph lived with his mom about a half block up from an old building where Marty Balin used to practice with his band in San Anselmo (Marin County), about two blocks S of Sir Francis Drake Bl.  I was walking by one day, saw Marty, rushed to my home in Sleepy Hollow, got the record, and Marty signed it.   

I would sure like to know exactly how the heck those weird speakers ended up in Sun City, CA!  Maybe I'll ask him at ebay.     

Thanks for the history on those speakers.  They were the only models for sale that I didn't recognize.  Were the 4 driver woofer towers part of the design as well?

James Romeyn

• Industry Participant
« Reply #171 on: 10 Jul 2014, 02:06 pm »
I thought the eight woofers were 8s, but diameter appears to match Brian's 10" mid bass, and yes the woofers and mid/treble are all one enclosure (with requisite mid range sub enclosures). 

Refreshing my memory, and looking at the image, four lower horizontal tweeters across are Audax soft domes (kind of fuzzy sounding but more musical and pleasing vs. Brian's ubiquitous Morel MDT29...Brian should have just bought Morel we went through so many cases of those things).  Four uppermost horizontal tweeters are Philips hard domes used far and wide, including forever by Brian in his 808 12" 3-way stand mount...which really kicked butt in Brian's huge LEDE sound room, unreal bass for a stand mount, but just too hot treble balance in the average client's room.  I'd still like to have a pair of 808s and would snatch them if they appear hear (walnut please, and only the vintage with Brian's own 15cm mid range), but I'd certainly re-do the tweeter crossover and swap out the tweeter when convenient.  Actually, the Phliips hard dome is not so bad really, but with one or two resonances where better tweeters do not, like the superb Scan Speak D29 I eventually brought to Brian and became his upgrade dome for a few years. 

808s play louder and with more powerful bass than a good number of stand mounts of that era.  I used to complain to Brian about things I thought he should change, but I was also happy to remind him what worked, among which you can include the 808s bass, mids, and dynamics.  Brian's 12" low bass drivers of every vintage (paper, poly) worked superbly well in that enclosure, and Brian's port tuning was superb.  They were not exactly cheap for that era, about $649/pr assembled in the era of Brian's carbon loaded polly woofer with foam surround.  The price made people (wrongly) opt to spend a little more money for Mini Towers, which are consistently (sorry to post this for owners) among Brian's worst model.  IMO both Mini Towers (12" + 12PR, latter is 10" and 10PR) suffer from too little PR area.  The only known review was Fanfare's audiophile reviewer, who pretty soundly trashed the bass response.

If you own MT and want to improve them, I'd start with adding a second PR matching the area of the first.  It would take some time to get it tuned right, and remember how much you paid for this advice.   

Back to Ralph's contraption: I just can't figure out what are the three small shiny objects, horizontal center, ear height and above.  Apparently hard metal domes or planar super tweeters, or?  Makes absolutely no audio sense because of the two JVC planar super tweeters, which were darn good super tweeters, the latter clones OK but less good (JVC finally stopped making them).

I still think today, Brian's best ever super tweeter, including the latest Aurum Cantus true ribbon, was the huge Philips planar tweeter we used for several years till Philips dropped it.   

Most consider horizontal drivers with same band pass an absolute no-no, but I strongly disagree.  My last DIY speaker employed two horizontal Philips planar tweeters atop two horizontal Versa Tronics 15cm mid ranges (used by Brian for several years till the BG ribbon).  The horizontal sweet spot is smaller, but for the person in that sweet spot performance is improved because of less early side wall reflections.  See Duddleston's larger Legacy designs. 

But this contraption by Ralph is way over the top, with absolutely no regard for dispersion in any direction.  The only "philosophy" was apparently: "Fill every baffle space with speaker drivers!" 

Stimpy

« Reply #172 on: 15 Jul 2014, 10:27 am »
VMPS subwoofer...home video... - (Garden City/ Livonia, MI)  $175

http://detroit.craigslist.org/wyn/ele/4569514255.html

"This is a subwoofer used for surround sound systems or what ever you want to use it for. Hard to explain but look at the pictures. I had a 500 watt power supply on it but sold it so only the subwoofer is left. I have the instructions for it and can explain more if you have questions...call me. Speakers are worth quite a bit alone"

Stimpy

« Reply #173 on: 15 Jul 2014, 10:30 am »
Another PRICE DROP 

VMPS Tower II/ Super Tower Floor-Standing Speakers High Quality Set  -  (Terre Haute, IN)   $1999

http://terrehaute.craigslist.org/ele/4561985297.html

Stimpy

« Reply #174 on: 18 Jul 2014, 04:19 pm »
VMPS Reference Monitor's RM-1 w/Ribbon Midrange and Super Tweeters w/Megawoofer Option - (San Juan Capistrano, CA)  $600.00

http://www.usaudiomart.com/details/649136680-vmps-reference-monitors-rm1-wribbon-midrange-and-super-tweeters-wmegawoofer-option/

NO PICTURE - "Maybe This Style?"

"Purchased new in 2000 these speakers are in excellent condition both cosmetically as well as functionally. They employ 7" Push Pull High Impedance, Unobstructed, HIgh Power - Transformer-less 500 Hz Ribbon Midrange, the X7. Ingenious design shrinks the SRE panels to a size and cost suitable for 10" and 12" three way speaker designs. Spiral Ribbon Super Tweeters handle the 5 kHz-30 kHz range, Woven Carbon Fiber woofers and slot loaded passive radiators supply bass well in to the first octave (32 Hz @ -3db). Originally $1,600/pair with the Mega-woofer Option installed the price jumped up to just under $2k.

I prefer a local pick up as these speakers are extremely heavy and packing them as well as shipping them would be quite expensive. I have them set up in my main system now so that if you're local you can come and see as well as hear them. I may even be willing to negotiate a little as they are large and I can use the space for something smaller like my MMG's once they are gone. Feel free to ask questions. These speakers are no longer produced as an untimely death of the designer and manufacturer Brian Cheney caused production to cease and the USA, California based company to close. If you're a fan of Ribbons these have to be heard to be appreciated. Thanks for looking, pictures posted soon"

Stimpy

« Reply #175 on: 18 Jul 2014, 04:23 pm »
Repost & PRICE DROP

VMPS Large Subwoofer  -  (Maineville, Ohi)  $350 Opening Bid

http://www.ebay.com/itm/231286112084

"This is a VMPS Large Subwoofer with 12" CARBON FIBER active subwoofer AND a 15" passive radiator that fires out the bottom thru the vent. This puppy is capable of 18Hz and of cheek flapping stomach wrenching bass! In fact, NASA uses these subs to generate low rumble bass to test equipment onboard the space shuttle to make sure it will hold up to constant low frequency vibrations!

The VMPS company had to close its doors in Dec. 2012 due to the death of its owner and had been in continuous business for 35 years! These were available either in a factory cabinet, or you could order just the woofers and VMPS would send you exact plans for constructing the cabinets. This is what I did and a local cabinet maker constructed these for me out of HD Particle Board (recommended).

These speakers are NOT powered and will require an amp to drive them. With the passive radiator, their efficiency is 90db/watt. They will take as much power as you want to feed them!

These are heavy at about 80-90 lbs so you will have to come pick them up. I've sold most all of my audio gear (I'm getting ready to move to central america when I retire) so I have no amps remaining to test these with. I guaranttee that they are in perfect working order. Obviously, I've owned them since they were new and used them up until about 6 months ago.

I have some walnut veneer that I would sell for $50 extra that could be used to veneer them if you wish.   If you want the CABINET then everything MUST be picked up locally (because they are too heavy to ship economically).  The shipping you see posted is ONLY if you want just the separate drivers shipped REMOVED from the cabinet and NOT including the cabinet!!!  The drivers consist of the 12" active sub and the 15" passive radiator.  If you purchase just the drivers, I will supply exact drawing and dimensions to make the cabinet.

Also, I will be out of town on vacation from July 4 thru July 15, so any sales before that time will have to wait until I get back for shipment or pickup"

Stimpy

« Reply #176 on: 22 Jul 2014, 12:16 pm »
VMPS RM-40 -  Black (Need Tweeters)  -  (Pine Grove, CA)  $1,200.00    :thumb:

http://app.audiogon.com/listings/full-range-vmps-rm-40-black-need-tweeters-2014-07-18-speakers-95665-pine-grove-ca

"Just added pictures and 1 correction
.only top left corner of one grill worn.Other than that grills are great. One of these makes a bad ass vertical center channel, but I have also used it horizontally as a center and was surprised at the imaging.The RM-40 has a front firing bottom passive radiator that can be changed by user to rear firing. These are set up front firing and can be used 4 inches from back wall on a small room.

Rated a 5/10 for cabinets and a 9/10 for the 14 drivers.
I have a pair of RM-40 Speakers picked up by me in their boxes in mid 2009. Upon opening them the gloss black paint was sticking to the box.Needless to say I was pissed off to say the least.I hooked them up and about fell over at the incredible sound these put out.I contacted Brian at VMPS and he was more than willing to fix them if I brought them back. I was not going to part with them for any length of time, so I bought 2 more pair and had my HT system and Trinaural system in one.I ended up in a smaller room and removed the FST tweeters myself and installed them in my 626 ' s to be used as surrounds.I sold the 626's, so here we are with a pair of RM-40 ' s that will need new tweeters and a good sanding and veneer or paint unless someone wants the drivers only. 8 ribbon midrange ,2 -10 inch mid bass mega woofers and 2 -10 inch mega bass woofers and 2 -10 inch passive radiators.Thats 14 spare drivers for those who own VMPS speakers, or I will part with one RM- 40 for 600.00 cannot ship cabinets, but will ship drivers.prepay with paypal and pick up or meet to avoid tire kickers.Pictures will come later.Verified Paypal only.US Sale only. Grills have a couple of holes on edges.
Thanks"

Stimpy

« Reply #177 on: 22 Jul 2014, 12:20 pm »
What's For Sale???  Buyer Beware???   

VMPS 20th anniversary ribbon speakers  -  (Lemont, Illinois)  $499.00 OB  $650.00 BIN

http://www.ebay.com/itm/VMPS-20th-anniversary-ribbon-speakers-/181471840591?pt=Speakers_Subwoofers&hash=item2a4090894f

"See the Stereophile , I'll post that and pics tomorrow...I will deliver within Il, Wi and In"

Stimpy

« Reply #178 on: 22 Jul 2014, 12:22 pm »
PRICE DROP  -  $200.00 BIN

http://www.ebay.com/itm/VMPS-Type-12-CARBON-FIBER-RAW-SPEAKER-/171389879482?pt=Speakers_Subwoofers&hash=item27e7a204ba

VMPS Type 12" CARBON FIBER RAW SPEAKER - (Reno, Nevada)  $250 BIN or Make Offer

http://www.ebay.com/itm/171369904679

"This is one single extremely rare VMPS woven carbon fiber 12"speaker made by Brian Cheney.
It is an 8 ohm speaker and I believe it is 200 to 300 watt RMS.  These were used in the VMPS Subwoofers
and the awesome Tower Speakers that VMPS made.  Was not able to fully test with music so I tested with
a 9 volt battery and it does pump smoothly"

Stimpy

« Reply #179 on: 22 Jul 2014, 12:26 pm »
VMPS Tower 2 Speakers  -  (Stevensville, Eastern Shore of Md)  $400    :o

http://easternshore.craigslist.org/ele/4579232105.html

"I have a pair of VMPS Tower 2 speakers. These work but need the foam surrounds replaced.

These are giant speakers but what a sound if you have the room for them !!!

Please include a phone number if interested"