Manny P vs Timmy B

jimdgoulding

Re: Manny P vs Timmy B
« Reply #60 on: 3 May 2014, 11:54 pm »
You damned right!  Why doesn't the boxing government mandate title defensives?  I'm amazed that Floyd is getting 32m for this fight.  I hope the promoter takes a bath.  Heck, I hope he drowns in the tub!  What a BS fight.  I hope Bradley does get a shot.  I like the kid and if he gets a third one with Manny, I think he will return to his abilities and make it close.   If I were Manny, I would want Mayweather and this year.  But, if Mayweather can get 32m for this fight, why would he take the risk.  I suppose he might fight Bradley and if I were Bradley I would want that big.  He doesn't have to do anything w/o pressure from boxing this year.

Chazro

« Reply #61 on: 4 May 2014, 12:01 am »
Floyd Mayweather is a great fighter that's never had a great fight.  Hate the way he so obviously cherry picks his opponents.  He's never been a true champion.  Boxing is business to him, not competitive sport.  He ain't nothing but a loudmouthed bitch!  What's amazing to me is how he continues to make such huge paychecks for these sparring matches!

fredgarvin

« Reply #62 on: 4 May 2014, 12:19 am »
Floyd Mayweather is a great fighter that's never had a great fight.  Hate the way he so obviously cherry picks his opponents.  He's never been a true champion.  Boxing is business to him, not competitive sport.  He ain't nothing but a loudmouthed bitch!  What's amazing to me is how he continues to make such huge paychecks for these sparring matches!

Word.

And Bradley? Come on. Mayweather has ducked the tough guys his whole career and fought lighter guys trying to move up.

jackman

« Reply #63 on: 4 May 2014, 12:39 am »
You damned right!  Why doesn't the boxing government mandate title defensives?  I'm amazed that Floyd is getting 32m for this fight.  I hope the promoter takes a bath.  Heck, I hope he drowns in the tub!  What a BS fight.  I hope Bradley does get a shot.  I like the kid and if he gets a third one with Manny, I think he will return to his abilities and make it close.   If I were Manny, I would want Mayweather and this year.  But, if Mayweather can get 32m for this fight, why would he take the risk.  I suppose he might fight Bradley and if I were Bradley I would want that big.  He doesn't have to do anything w/o pressure from boxing this year.

Hi Jim,

I totally disagree with you regarding another Manny/Bradley fight.  Bradley got his ass solidly kicked in both fights and we don't need to see it happen a third time (it will).  He's not an elite fighter, period.  He's a nice guy and is heavily muscled but he's got no punch and is not entertaining to watch.  He will not get a shot and doesn't deserve one.  The only real fight for Floyd is Manny, although I doubt it will ever happen. 

jackman

« Reply #64 on: 4 May 2014, 12:43 am »

I TOTALLY agree with you.  Why are people paying big money to watch this loudmouthed punk spar with a bunch of guys who have NO chance of beating him?  He's talented but has NEVER been in a good fight.  The De La Hoya fight was decent but how long ago was that?  The whole Pretty Boy thug image is closer to WWF than pro boxing.  I can't wait to see him get knocked out but don't think it's happening tonight.  I hope the promoter and Showtime lose their asses on this one. 

jimdgoulding

« Reply #65 on: 4 May 2014, 03:47 am »
Well, Jackman, if the promoters think it will make a buck, we may have a third fight w Bradley.  This time, I think Bradley should box.  He tried to hurt Manny and what did that get him.  He needs greater movement and punch production.  If he does that, it will be a closer fight.  For some reason, you seem to think Bradley isn't a contender.  That might be all yer gonna get cause Mayweather is in a position where he can pick his opponents.  I think you will have more respect for Bradley if there is another Manny fight.  As for Mayweather, he isn't likely to fight a real contender ever.  The fuckin guy is gettin 32m for a guy he could beat in his sleep.

If Maldana should somehow wins this, we are being jerked off.  Boxing will have become theater.

jimdgoulding

« Reply #66 on: 4 May 2014, 04:09 am »
Tell you what . . if I were Bradley's coach, I would show him how to shoot a straight right hand to the solar plexus.  Bradley doesn't shoot many straight punches period.  We'd be workin on that.

vortrex

« Reply #67 on: 4 May 2014, 04:41 am »
If Maldana should somehow wins this, we are being jerked off.  Boxing will have become theater.

Maidana is winning and Floyd is cut.  Fight is a brawl.

dB Cooper

« Reply #68 on: 4 May 2014, 04:54 am »
You damned right!  Why doesn't the boxing government mandate title defensives?  I'm amazed that Floyd is getting 32m for this fight.

One of the belt factories made Pacquiao a mandatory for Floyd not long ago. FWIW.
Not buying this or any other Floyd fight but Dan Rafael says its a dogfight. Good. That favors Maidana.

jimdgoulding

« Reply #69 on: 4 May 2014, 05:11 am »
If the win is decisive, so long Manny.  Welcome to another dance.

vortrex

« Reply #70 on: 4 May 2014, 05:13 am »
I would call it a draw.  I think they will give Floyd the dec.  Going to the cards now.

jackman

« Reply #71 on: 4 May 2014, 10:53 am »
No way those judges were going to NOT give Floyd the decision. No way I'm forking over money to watch Floyd fight anyone not named Manny P.  no way I'm wasting time watching Manny beat up Bradley again.  Sorry Jim, the only trainer who can help Bradley beat Pacman is Father Time. But don't worry, he's working on it. Manny of 2010 would have dusted off Timmy but today's Manny can only dominate him for 20/24 rounds. Good enough to make me not want to see a rematch. Let's let another guy make some money.  Brad had his chances.

Also, looking at how the money was split (Floyd received twenty times more money than his opponent) I don't see Floyd doing anything different. He'll give Maidana a rematch, make him wear big puffy gloves, and win another decision...and cash another huge check. And I'll lose a little more faith in humanity.

jimdgoulding

« Reply #72 on: 4 May 2014, 02:07 pm »
Pretty good assessment all around, Jackman. 

jackman

« Reply #73 on: 4 May 2014, 07:31 pm »
Thanks Jim, this whole situation makes me sick.  For the record, I'm not down on Bradley as a person.  He seems like a good guy and I wish him all the best.  Floyd is scum but he's allowed to do whatever he wants because he is a money machine.  I heard that he made Maidona (sp?) change his gloves on friday evening because they did not have enough padding (the weight was correct but the padding was concentrated in the wrists).  He threatened to pull out of the fight and the state commission forced the change.  He is also allowed to hold several belts with different commissions and weight classes in a way other fighters are not allowed. 

As long as Floyd keeps making these crooks money, don't look for anything to change.  He will have to get knocked out cold in order to lose a fight and even then, look for a REALLY slow 10 count.  It's all about money and he is the biggest attraction in boxing.  Heck, in boxing history as far as I can recall.  People are idiots but I have to think a lot of people pay because they want to see him lose.  I'm in that category but I will not give this joker a dime.

Cheers,

J

dB Cooper

« Reply #74 on: 4 May 2014, 11:26 pm »
All the organizations have rules against fighters simultaneously holding titles in multiple weight classes. The fact that Floyd is allowed to get away with it shows how meaningless their "rules" are. Ray Leonard was once allowed to fight for two WBC belts in the same fight... Against the WBC's own rules. (Jose Sulaiman was asked about it at the prefight press conference and he ducked and dodged better than Muhammad Ali.) In some ways boxing was actually cleaner when it was controlled by the Mob.. At least people knew who the hell the champs were, which was good for the sport.

At any rate, if Maidana couldn't dust Floyd off, the 2014 Pacquiao probably can't either, so you may actually see Floyd take that fight now. But who cares anymore.

Looking to see replay when I have a chance.

Letitroll98

• Volunteer
  • Too loud is just right
« Reply #75 on: 5 May 2014, 12:47 am »
I agree totally.  I will watch the fight on replay, but wouldn't pay a dime to see another fixed fight.  The play by play account I read had the fight even, six rounds each.  I suspect I'll have no reasonable explanation as to why two judges had him winning by several rounds.  Other than that's what they were well paid to do.  The report had the fans booing the decision and Maidana thinking he won the fight for sure.  It should be a good fight to watch if you don't care about fair judging.

vortrex

« Reply #76 on: 5 May 2014, 12:56 am »
I hate Floyd as much as the next guy (probably more) but to call this fight rigged or whatever is ridiculous.  I had it a draw, but wasn't scoring round by round.  In my overall view it was even.  Nobody hurt each other.  Maidana owned the first half of the fight and Floyd the second.  I can easily see the judges scoring it for Floyd the way they did.  He was very accurate and clean with his shots.  Maidana was a brawling madman and often it was hard to see if he was landing clean.

The part about the gloves... would you take the fight if all the padding of this big puncher was not on his knuckles?  Again, I think Floyd is a total crybaby in most regards but for Maidana fans to be upset about this is just silly.  It was explained that there is nothing in contracts stating what the gloves are like padding wise, only color and brand.  There is a common understanding that a glove with no padding on the knuckles, even if it is 8 oz, will not be allowed.

Floyd the biggest draw in boxing history?  I think Mike Tyson and his PPV numbers would disagree.  Any time Floyd had a big PPV it was him fighting a Mexican, as in HE is not the draw.

Letitroll98

• Volunteer
  • Too loud is just right
« Reply #77 on: 5 May 2014, 11:18 pm »
If you don't know that fights are fixed on a wholesale level in professional boxing, I don't know what to say.  Not doubting your assessment of the fight as you saw it live and I only read a play by play, and your view matched how the reporter saw it pretty closely.  So I have to ask, how did Floyd win those 3 or 4 extra rounds on two judge's cards when you, the reporter, and one judge saw it pretty even?  Were they close enough to go either way?  I understand if it's a 1 round victory in a close fight with deference to the champ as is the custom, but there seemed to be a greater disparity in how you and others saw it versus the scorecards.  I'll be interested in seeing the replay, for free, I assume this weekend.

jackman

« Reply #78 on: 6 May 2014, 01:33 am »
Vortex if you think a money machine like Floyd is going to lose a decision, you are kidding yourself. At this stage, he can only lose by knockout and he's too smart fir that to happen. I'm not saying he's a bigger draw than young Tyson but the last time I checked Tyson wasn't fighting anymore and he wasn't worth crap after he got out of jail.

Also, Floyd's team approved the gloves early in the process and , from what I understand, they suddenly decided to disapprove them the night before the fight. That's bullcrap. Also, the gloves were approved by the boxing commission. It was Floyd who decided to not allow them to be used.

Floyd is a tough buy and a very good boxer. I don't consider him one of the best because he's always avoided his toughest opponents. Manny would probably still give him a good fight today but I thinks by would have beat him a few years ago. Miadana is a good fighter, but I think Manny could handle him.

Boxing isn't as much fun to me as it was years ago. Most of these super fights never live up to the hype. I hope the GGG Chavez fight takes place in July. If not, I'd like to see Andre Ward fight GGG. Two great fighters who are fun to watch.

jimdgoulding

« Reply #79 on: 6 May 2014, 01:42 am »
GGG vs. Ward would be a competitive one and one boxing fans would like to see.