Car Audio

Lyndon

Car Audio
« on: 11 Jun 2010, 12:40 am »
It looks like I'm going to be doing a lot of driving in the coming month.
My truck's Kenwood is working fine, but it lacks that @#$# Aux. input. :cry:
And a device to add that is close enough to $40, so...I think I put the ten year old Kenwood to bed.

Any suggestions on a basic model that has the Aux. input (though a USB input would be nice).
Not looking for high SQ as I will mostly be playing Audio Books.

Lyndon

coke

Re: Car Audio
« Reply #1 on: 11 Jun 2010, 01:39 am »
Can't go wrong with Pioneer or Alpine.  Just set a budget and get one that fits within it.  Sounds like you'll be using stock speakers and no external amps, so I suggest spending somewhere around $100-$150.

Lyndon

« Reply #2 on: 11 Jun 2010, 03:05 am »
Well not stock speakers, the Kenwood ones my friend put in when he put in that Kenwood.

Hard to find a link to some real nuts and bolts reviews, instead of the puff pieces.

One thing I've learned in the last hour is that the Chinese brand "Pyle" is closest to a pyle of .... :roll:

And Dual is just like other old good brands.  Bought by Eastern companies, for the brand, and usually run into
the ground.
Checkin' out the lower level Pioneers now...

mcgsxr

« Reply #3 on: 11 Jun 2010, 11:22 am »
I run an older Pioneer deck in my modest Accord setup - Zapco front stage, Orion Xtreme 200 amp bridged to the 2 10's.

Bought the Pioneer off Craigslist for about $120 4 years ago.

I would absolutely recommend both the product, and the sourcing model!

decal

« Reply #4 on: 11 Jun 2010, 02:09 pm »
Just go to Best Buy and have them install a Kenwood,Pioneer,Alpine,etc.For what you're using it for,don't spend more than a couple of C-notes.I highly suggest you look into Sirrius/XM satrad.Not only do they provide great music,they also carry sports,news,weather,talk,comedy,etc.It sure makes my long drives more bearable.

ctviggen

« Reply #5 on: 11 Jun 2010, 02:32 pm »
Just go to Best Buy and have them install a Kenwood,Pioneer,Alpine,etc.For what you're using it for,don't spend more than a couple of C-notes.I highly suggest you look into Sirrius/XM satrad.Not only do they provide great music,they also carry sports,news,weather,talk,comedy,etc.It sure makes my long drives more bearable.

Can you recommend any Sirius radio stations?  I just bought a new car that has Sirius, but I don't like any of the stations I've tried so far (but have only had the car a week).

Lyndon

« Reply #6 on: 11 Jun 2010, 04:01 pm »
decal said:

Thanks, decal.  That may be what I have to do, because time is now short.  Just got an email this morning that my Black Hills relatives leave for Kansas  on Monday.  I may just have to bag the stereo for when I get to my mother's home in Illinois (defeats half of the purpose), so I can catch my relatives in the Black Hills.
Darn it!

coke

« Reply #7 on: 11 Jun 2010, 04:06 pm »
decal said:
Thanks, decal.  That may be what I have to do, because time is now short.  Just got an email this morning that my Black Hills relatives leave for Kansas  on Monday.  I may just have to bag the stereo for when I get to my mother's home in Illinois (defeats half of the purpose), so I can catch my relatives in the Black Hills.
Darn it!

It only takes about 30 minutes to install one if you have the tools and components needed. 

Remove your factory player.  Use a factory adapter which connects to your car's wiring harness.  Splice the ends of that to the ends of your new radio.  Connect the antenna.  Put the new player where the old one was.  Finished!!!  :)

Have you checked the back of your kenwood player for any inputs?  You might just need an adapter for it to do what you want. 

TRADERXFAN

• Trillions will vanish... it's a debt blackhole.
    • GALLERY
« Reply #8 on: 11 Jun 2010, 04:07 pm »
It looks like I'm going to be doing a lot of driving in the coming month.
My truck's Kenwood is working fine, but it lacks that @#$# Aux. input. :cry:
And a device to add that is close enough to $40, so...I think I put the ten year old Kenwood to bed.

Any suggestions on a basic model that has the Aux. input (though a USB input would be nice).
Not looking for high SQ as I will mostly be playing Audio Books.

Lyndon

Have you considered an fm transmitter? ~$20-$30

srb

« Reply #9 on: 11 Jun 2010, 04:12 pm »
Have you considered an fm transmitter? ~$20-$30

An FM transmitter works OK for in town use where you can keep the radio and transmitter on the unused frequency that you have found works best.

But traveling on the road, you are frequently having to fiddle and find a new workable frequency as the unused frequency you had previously chosen becomes an active station.

Steve

Lyndon

« Reply #10 on: 11 Jun 2010, 04:46 pm »
+1 Steve
Over Idaho, Wyoming, South Dakota
The FM transmitter is not very effective

JimJ

• Ut Prosim
« Reply #11 on: 11 Jun 2010, 04:55 pm »
Crutchfield would be where I'd look for head units. Their prices aren't the best, but they provide you with excellent documentation, and you know the adapters you're getting will fit.

Lyndon

« Reply #12 on: 11 Jun 2010, 05:19 pm »
Crutchfield is good.

Just looks as I am going to have to forget it on the first leg of this vacation.
More important is getting all my camping and bike touring gear together.
Load it up on the truck, and head out early tomorrow for the Black Hills.
Just too much to get done in a short time. :cry:
Thanks for all the suggestions, guys.
Lyndon

coke

« Reply #13 on: 11 Jun 2010, 05:24 pm »
Crutchfield is good.

Just looks as I am going to have to forget it on the first leg of this vacation.
More important is getting all my camping and bike touring gear together.
Load it up on the truck, and head out early tomorrow for the Black Hills.
Just too much to get done in a short time. :cry:
Thanks for all the suggestions, guys.
Lyndon
You could get a portable 12V radio with an AUX input for your trip.

Lyndon

« Reply #14 on: 11 Jun 2010, 05:30 pm »
You could get a portable 12V radio with an AUX input for your trip.

Done that before, coke.
That is what will happen again, as I dig for the unit in the basement.
You would be surprised how few cd/cassette boom boxes don't have the 12VDC plug anymore.

I think the one I have is one of those canary yellow Sony water resistant models. :o
When I researched that, I think the best of the bunch was the Sony Xplod blasters.

decal

« Reply #15 on: 11 Jun 2010, 09:51 pm »
Can you recommend any Sirius radio stations?  I just bought a new car that has Sirius, but I don't like any of the stations I've tried so far (but have only had the car a week).
Go to the Sirrius/XM website,link below, and print a copy of the channel list.There's bound to be something you like!!
http://www.sirius.com/channelguide

Audiophiliac

« Reply #16 on: 16 Jun 2010, 02:04 am »
If your Kenwood has CD changer controls, maybe look into a Kenwood Music Keg. Not made anymore, but they can be found used. I am thinking really hard about getting one. Not only does it play FLAC, but you can get up to 120GB cartridges for it. Just another option.