WTB: Tube amp class A based on 300b kit

Shives

• I like French fries
WTB: Tube amp class A based on 300b kit
« on: 8 Apr 2021, 11:49 pm »
Hello, looking to dive into a tube amp kit.

I have a need to build a 300b tube amp. Looking for a full kit or suggestion where to get one.

My skill level, well I’ll take on any project.. tho I would like to have a full kit, less tubes and upgrades, or with..

Let me know what you have. Or recommend. Thanks

Tyson

• Audio - It's all a big fake.

Shives

• I like French fries
Re: WTB: Tube amp class A based on 300b kit
« Reply #2 on: 9 Apr 2021, 01:40 am »
I’ve been eyeing that kit!! I’m also open to other suggestions. But, I was looking at that!! I head one recently that was amazing.

Still any suggestions I’ll take thanks all 

howard1818

« Reply #3 on: 9 Apr 2021, 01:10 pm »
https://www.tubeaudiolab.com/ Min will work with you to customize your project

loki7177

« Reply #4 on: 9 Apr 2021, 01:33 pm »
Mine is not for sale but I did build the Elekit about a month ago and it is amazing.  I recommend buying from vkmusic.ca as Victor is amazing and can help you if needed.  I had little to no soldering experience and I was able to build it with no problems.  Another amp to look at is the Audio Note Kit.  I ended up choosing the Elekit since it is $1000 or more less and you can choose your own tubes.

Tyson

• Audio - It's all a big fake.
« Reply #5 on: 9 Apr 2021, 04:30 pm »
The Sunvalley kits that they have at vkmusic are AMAZING too.  A friend of mine has the Sun Valley 845/211 amp from them and it might just be the best amp I've ever heard. 

rodge827

« Reply #6 on: 9 Apr 2021, 04:39 pm »
Depending on your budget the Audio Note Kits Kit 1 is a very good capacitor coupled 300b amp. A lot has been written about this amp with upgrade potential that’s off the charts.

https://ankaudiokits.com/product/kit1-kit1-10-300b-integrated-amplifier/

Hope you find what your looking for...

Shives

• I like French fries
« Reply #7 on: 9 Apr 2021, 07:34 pm »
You all are awesome! I appreciate each of you and thank you for the suggestions!

As far as skill level, it can be a 10, or even 11... Took 4 years of school in electronics and theory... Then went back for computers, then self taught myself to save money! Ha!! So, I’m sure I can get through.. a person to call is always nice!

I’m going to look into each one of the suggestions, and appreciate all that come! This is my first dive into tube amps! Recently I’ve been able to hear a 300B tube amp and loved the sound!! Said to myself.. I need that!

Right now I’m working on some Av/1 designs that I’m rebuilding for myself. Then I have some Klipsch upgrades to do, then SVS.. then compares some before and afters. I’ll be making time for this build.

Again thanks to you all!  Please keep the suggestions coming. Thanks

Escott1377

« Reply #8 on: 10 Apr 2021, 12:44 pm »
The Pinnacle from Transcendent Sound is a pair of 300B mono blocs.  The designer is always on the forum for questions plus most of the posters are builders.

I own the Masterpiece pre amp and it is stellar with a pair of EML 300b mesh tubes.

Good luck and have fun!

Shives

• I like French fries
« Reply #9 on: 10 Apr 2021, 12:54 pm »
I think mono blocks are out. But, heck of a choice! And totally understand why..

I would just like to build one stereo amp, for now!! Who knows... After I build this... maybe I’ll do a pair. I’ll take a look into the information you’ve provided!! Again, thanks for taking your time to answer!

None of you need to help, recommend or point out good options... But you all are! And I really appreciate the help and information!!

We are all here for the love of music... audio.. or building cool stuff!

Again, thanks.

Shives

• I like French fries
« Reply #10 on: 10 Apr 2021, 01:01 pm »
Escott I will say those Mono blocks are beautiful!! After taking a look will be a contender.

I’d like to try and cap this build to around 1500 maybe 2000! Really I want the power and clarity from those 2500 dollar units for a 1000! Lol as we all do!

Thanks again! Great options! And great companies! Some I’ve not heard of! Thanks.

galyons

« Reply #11 on: 10 Apr 2021, 04:30 pm »
Pretty hard to beat Bottlehead kits!!  The very best assembly manuals, an active forum and designers ready, willing and able to help!!

https://bottlehead.com/product/kaiju-300b-amplifier-kit/

I have been building their kits for 20 years. Not much can touch them for the high end value.

Cheers,
Geary

Anji12305

« Reply #12 on: 11 Apr 2021, 12:26 am »
Escott I will say those Mono blocks are beautiful!! After taking a look will be a contender.

I’d like to try and cap this build to around 1500 maybe 2000! Really I want the power and clarity from those 2500 dollar units for a 1000! Lol as we all do!

Thanks again! Great options! And great companies! Some I’ve not heard of! Thanks.

Check your private messages.

Jim (also in Massachusetts)

Shives

• I like French fries
« Reply #13 on: 13 Apr 2021, 02:15 pm »
Heyyyy thanks everyone again for your time. Couple things..

1. I love used equipment In great condition. So I’m happy to check out what you got.
2. I really don’t want any mono blocks.. I have no need for it! As things are, this is massive overkill. But heck, we like that... right?

Folks offering the used products.. if I say no, we can still be friends! Please don’t be upset.

Bob Latino has a take on the Dynaco KTV-ST120... his version. What say thee good people of audio circle?? Good amp? Good remake? Stay away? Gobble up? Trash?

Few reviews has this amp as a good power plant that’s super quiet.

Again, love the 300B but more I look into that amp with the vast amount of speakers I’ll be using and testing.. I don’t know if it’s the best choice. Boy do I love the sound.

Anyways... sorry to ask another question... Thanks for your response.

bfstrysik

« Reply #14 on: 13 Apr 2021, 05:50 pm »
Curious as to what speakers you would be using with a tube amp? Are any of them 0ver say, 92 or 93db efficient?

Shives

• I like French fries
« Reply #15 on: 13 Apr 2021, 06:17 pm »
Curious as to what speakers you would be using with a tube amp? Are any of them 0ver say, 92 or 93db efficient?

Yes! That’s actually a great point! And more so why I’m re-directing. The 300B amps are really great and good for really efficient speakers, open baffle type and such.. Tho my speakers are efficient.. The reason why I was looking to say the ST-120 is for that simple fact! The 300Bs are around 8 watts average. The St is a bit different and more.. so stated it’s 60 a ch. so, bit different then the average 300B. This is a great point for anyone looking.. Something to consider, most off the shelf speakers won’t be that great on some valve amps.. But a good majority have some great power and can push a little more. Least the way I understand it.

What I’m really looking for is anyone that’s worked with say the ST70 or the ST120. Thoughts compared? Again due to the fact my speakers will be a slew of different flavors.. I was thinking something a bit more.. Allowing.

Thanks again! Great note sir!

bfstrysik

« Reply #16 on: 13 Apr 2021, 10:06 pm »
I have no experience with the ST70 or the ST120, though when I began my "tube amp quest" they were on my list. Probably because of the price more than anything. After several years of many different tube amps from a vintage Fisher X100 that was rebuilt, Yaqin amps, Rogue integrated and 300b monoblocks and several tube pre amps, I did land on the 300b amps. I didn't know much about tube amps, and I have to say I probably still don't know a lot, but I have done some research, some listening and have gotten a better handle on the different options that are available with different types of amps and tubes. For instance, the ST70 and ST120 amps are "push pull AB design"  and most 300b are "direct heated single ended triode" design. To me, there is a huge difference between them. The "SET" design does not put out a lot of power/wattage, but to me with the right speakers, the sound is glorious. I am using Zu Audio Dirty Weekend speakers with the 300b monoblocks and I am quite happy. I still have a Rogue Cronus Magnum II with a pair of vintage Polk Audion SDA 2b's in the mix, but I generally default to the 300b's and Dirty Weekends. I guess I would suggest some research and most of all some listening to different amps etc.

Anji12305

Tubes 4HiFi
« Reply #17 on: 27 Apr 2021, 12:26 pm »
If you're building from a kit, there is no better community than Tubes 4HiFi.

Bob Latino has a steady approach and offers real support to those just starting out.

He even offers a variant of his basic design that emulates triode output stages.
(Although I prefer pure DHT designs.)

http://tubes4hifi.com/

Shives

• I like French fries
Re: Tubes 4HiFi
« Reply #18 on: 29 Apr 2021, 01:12 pm »
If you're building from a kit, there is no better community than Tubes 4HiFi.

Bob Latino has a steady approach and offers real support to those just starting out.

He even offers a variant of his basic design that emulates triode output stages.
(Although I prefer pure DHT designs.)

http://tubes4hifi.com/

Thanks much! I did speak to Bob for a bit! I was going to buy his last kit in stock, but digging in more, I really see the difference in these units as far as what I want. The push pull more power I get it.. but the SET more
Mid, and well things warmer depending.

Hard choice. Set is like a cult. Lol I want one.

Shives

• I like French fries
« Reply #19 on: 29 Apr 2021, 09:39 pm »
I just got a great message from a fellow member! I’m hoping I’m going to buy his amp. Will update.