Unifield One owners

afterfire

Unifield One owners
« on: 20 Oct 2010, 05:34 pm »
Hey  I have recently bought vsa unifield one and I´m very satisfied with them. I have them running with primare i21 and use vincent cd-s6 as transport. I have never heard them with any other amps cause i choose to listen with primare i21 and cd21 when I was at the store.  I also got VSA speaker cables and stands when i bought em. I don´t know anything about the cables but they outperformed Transparent musicwaves which I had at home during the weekend.. someone who have more info about the cables that are included? it seems rather strange cause i haven´t read anything about them and they are not mentioned in the manual. 

Anyone else who own or have UF1 experience with different amps/cables and so on?

FYI :)  Before UF1 I have owned VSA vr4jr and vr2, SF cremona ,PMC db1i and usher V601, in that chronological order.
(I´m from Sweden and my English isn´t that good, sorry :P)

es347

• Facilitator
  • ..I've got my eye on you...which one you say?
Re: Unifield One owners
« Reply #1 on: 20 Oct 2010, 07:19 pm »
Your English is much better than my Swedish...welcome to the VSA circle.

JackD201

« Reply #2 on: 21 Oct 2010, 03:40 am »
Hej Afterfire :)

I was able to enjoy the Unifield One for two days. They were bought by a client right away. Congratulations on your purchase of one very capable loudspeaker. I enjoyed my time with them very much. I used them with the Eera Tentation, Lamm L2 Reference and Lamm M1.2 Reference (110wpc tube-SS hybrid, class A operation) and all VSA Master Built Signature ICs and Speaker cables and power cords by Kubala-Sosna (emotions).

The VSA cables were developed by Albert and engineers from Adelphi based on specific LRC criteria. In my experience they join a very select handful of products that are even handed throughout the frequency spectrum. I now use VSA Master Built Signatures in both my music and HT systems as these have eclipsed my former reference, Verbatim and VSA's joint wide ribbon prototypes developed by Paul Garner.

A warm welcome to the VSA circle!

Jack

ceedee

• Industry Participant
    • Musical Reality
« Reply #3 on: 21 Oct 2010, 07:55 am »
Hello Afterfire,

Welcome to the forum,

We drive the Unifield One with KR Audio Electronics.
A beautifull combination.
At the RMAF, the KR amp. received the award Best Amp. of the show.

Enjoy.

Cor

Albert Von Schweikert

• Industry Participant
    • Von Schweikert Audio
« Reply #4 on: 25 Oct 2010, 01:44 am »
Hello UniField Model One owners,
In the December issue of HiFi+ (a UK-based magazine distributed in the USA by The Absolute Sound), you will be able to read the first print review of the UniField One.  The reviewer, Alan Sircom, is one of their experienced Editors, and compares the Uni One's to several other (more expensive) monitors made in the UK.

I am very pleased to report that the UniField One's won the shoot-out and is now a Recommended Product.  Mr. Sircom said the Uni One's had the most bass power of the bunch and could fill an entire room with sound comparable to a more expensive tower design. He also remarked that the transparency and 3-D image focus was superior to most any speaker he has heard....

Cheers,
Albert Von Schweikert

es347

• Facilitator
« Reply #5 on: 25 Oct 2010, 01:53 am »
"He also remarked that the transparency and 3-D image focus was superior to most any speaker he has heard...."

Except, of course, for the VR5 Anniversary  :thankyou:

legends71

« Reply #6 on: 25 Oct 2010, 06:36 am »
hey Afterfire,

gratz with the Nice UF1.
Im about to be come a UF2 owner, and altho it is not a UF1 i thinking they share allot of technology.
Currently im playing with accuphase E-450 and DP-500 cdp, en i must say that plays pretty nice, all the cables are handmade from john van gent (http://www.jvg-kabels.nl/)
Good cables for a decent price.
Enjoy the UF1  :D

greetz,

Antoine

« Reply #7 on: 25 Oct 2010, 02:36 pm »
Hello UniField Model One owners,
In the December issue of HiFi+ (a UK-based magazine distributed in the USA by The Absolute Sound), you will be able to read the first print review of the UniField One.  The reviewer, Alan Sircom, is one of their experienced Editors, and compares the Uni One's to several other (more expensive) monitors made in the UK.

I am very pleased to report that the UniField One's won the shoot-out and is now a Recommended Product.  Mr. Sircom said the Uni One's had the most bass power of the bunch and could fill an entire room with sound comparable to a more expensive tower design. He also remarked that the transparency and 3-D image focus was superior to most any speaker he has heard....

Cheers,
Albert Von Schweikert

Hi Albert, congratulations with the good review, I haven't read it yet but I wanted to remark that according to their website the review is in the current October 2010 issue of HiFi+ so not the December issue.  :)

JackD201

« Reply #8 on: 25 Oct 2010, 05:06 pm »
I have a funny story Albert. Before the Unifield 1s were picked up by their new owner, I had a friend come by (also an owner of a loudspeaker you designed but for another company) and he asked how a monitor could be priced about the same as the VR-33. Well, I explained that they are not meant for the same use. One is for a typical US domicile (large) and the other for the atypical (US, Asian, European Big City dweller = small) but the quality across the band should be at par given the spaces they are intended for. My friend is a finance guy but more philosopher than beancounter. As I set up the stands and hooked up the speaker cables from the VR-9s to the UF1's he still had the bean counter look where eyebrows meet and forehead creases form. He had that look until I pressed play. At this point I think his philosopher side won. What he said in verbatim was "I know the answer now.... because he can." three CDs later statements like "This is just sick, something that small (actually they aren't but they look small next to 9s) shouldn't be able to do @@@&%^$$ like that" and other things continued to pour out. It was really funny seeing this formal friend of mine curse so much. I should have gotten it on video and put it up on youtube.

ceedee

• Industry Participant
    • Musical Reality
« Reply #9 on: 25 Oct 2010, 07:16 pm »
Hey Jack,

Nice story, I recognize this nearly word by word.

Last weekend our dealer Sense of Music did the same at a Hifi show in Holland.
He hooked up the Unifield One to the Double Kronzilla DX at 100 wpc.
I read lot of surprized reactions on the Dutch forum.
Awsome little speakers they are for sure.

Hope to have the video you miss online soon.

Cor
« Last Edit: 25 Oct 2010, 09:08 pm by ceedee »

afterfire

« Reply #10 on: 26 Oct 2010, 08:35 pm »
Thank you all :D , I´m just so satisfied with the speakers. I tought it wasn´t possible to get this sound at home with my other equipment (wich are rather mediocre as I mentioned before) and to be honest, I do listen alot to spotify (internet streaming music tool in 320kbps) when I use my computer...Even though the speakers give me goosebumps each day :) They really fills my 36kvm apartment with live music. Now, after three weeks of break-in (and they are not completed yet), I notice how well balanced the sound is from the deep tight bass up trough mids and to the liquid crisp, but yet that smooth, highs I like so much.3D and transparancy are among the best I´ve heard so I totaly agree with hifi+ on that.  I just want to thank you Albert for those incredible UF1.... damn it :D  :duh: :scratch: :thumb:!! 

How far apart do you have your speakers set-up? I noticed on ceedees photos that they where rather close, I have mine just as far aparat as I sit so its that classic "triangle" set-up and without toe-in.

Best regards

ceedee

• Industry Participant
    • Musical Reality
« Reply #11 on: 26 Oct 2010, 09:58 pm »
Well, thanks for your replay Afterfire,

This is what it is all about, enjoy of the music.
Albert degigned a few different speakers for different rooms.

The UFO is the exelent system to fitt music into in 'tiny rooms'.

It depends of the size of the room and listening-position what the ideal wide is of the set-up.

Just 'play with' women voices to fitt the sound stage. Sit down, close your eyes and feel the size of her face.
Too big? more close in centre, too tiny? better wider up.

Good luck,

Cor

es347

• Facilitator
« Reply #12 on: 27 Oct 2010, 12:35 am »
You know, I'm beginning to believe that there may be something special going on with these Von Schweikert speakers.  Whatchathink?  8)

JackD201

« Reply #13 on: 27 Oct 2010, 01:32 pm »
You might be on to something Gavin  :lol: :lol: :lol:

es347

• Facilitator
« Reply #14 on: 27 Oct 2010, 07:03 pm »
Sh-h-h-h-h!  Don't tell anyone Jack, this MUST remain audio's best kept secret!  :duh:

afterfire

« Reply #15 on: 9 Nov 2010, 11:51 am »
hehe ..YES es347, they really are :D
I have come to a point where I´m consider to change my amp. My amp is Primare I21 and I think I can get alot more out of these speakers with something better. My primare are good, it works fine, but lacks some overall detail, bass isn´t so well defined as desired and treble can ,on some tracks, lean a bit toward the sharper side (not fatigue but almost almost :P ) while it´s a bit laid-back in its presentation... that maybe sound strange but thats the story.

I have noticed that KR and Lamm are prefered here and I don´t doubt they are really good, but I dont have any dealer in sweden and I dont know if they will fit my budget so....
Some brands that fits my budget,about 3000$ or 20.000SEK, and are presented by local dealers are:
Bel Canto
Audio Space
Bladelius
T.A.C
Vincent (same company as T.A.C)
Hegel
Naim

my priors are
More midrange detail to make voices and string instrument sound more realistic, a bit more body and "flesh and blood" :D
More 3D , soundstage depth and imaging.
More bass definition
and of course, it must still be fun and involving to listen.

All your inputs and suggestions are appreciated. You are also free to make fun of my english.. haha :D

Best Regards
Andreas

Unifield1

« Reply #16 on: 23 Nov 2010, 02:26 pm »
I seem to be one of the few using solid state amplification for the Uni 1. I have an Ayre AX-7e amp, all VSA cabling and an Ayre QB-9 DAC. I wanted a sound with tube-like midrange but solid state punch, for not too much money, so chose Ayre. It worked.

es347

• Facilitator
« Reply #17 on: 23 Nov 2010, 02:34 pm »
I've never heard Ayre amps but from what I've read they must be very good.  Way to go  :thumb:  I myself am a p-n junction kind of guy even though I dearly love the look of those glowing tubes.

ceedee

• Industry Participant
    • Musical Reality
« Reply #18 on: 23 Nov 2010, 09:51 pm »
I have come to a point where I´m consider to change my amp. My amp is Primare I21 and I think I can get alot more out of these speakers with something better. My primare are good, it works fine, but lacks some overall detail, bass isn´t so well defined as desired and treble can ,on some tracks, lean a bit toward the sharper side (not fatigue but almost almost :P ) while it´s a bit laid-back in its presentation... that maybe sound strange but thats the story.

I have noticed that KR and Lamm are prefered here and I don´t doubt they are really good, but I dont have any dealer in sweden and I dont know if they will fit my budget so....
Some brands that fits my budget,about 3000$ or 20.000SEK, and are presented by local dealers are:
Bel Canto
Audio Space
Bladelius
T.A.C
Hegel
Naim

my priors are
More midrange detail to make voices and string instrument sound more realistic, a bit more body and "flesh and blood" :D
More bass definition

All your inputs and suggestions are appreciated. You are also free to make fun of my english.. haha :D

Best Regards
Andreas

Hello Andreas,

Try this:

SWEDEN

-- Tubes and Equipment

Kenneth Englund Audio
   Banehagsgatan 1 i
   S-414 51 Gothenburg / Sweden
   phone No. +46-70-5929178

Regards,

Cor

varsharun

« Reply #19 on: 23 Nov 2010, 09:54 pm »
The PrimaLunas are exceptional, and at your price range, you can get the Dialogue Two integrated which I currently use to drive the Unifield 3. You would have to spend $10K+ elsewhere to get an overall sound that is as satisfying. Though I am contemplating upgrading to CJ ET3 preamp + Moscode 402au separates, I'm not sure at this point if the extra expense is really worth it. The Primalunas are a rarity in what they can do for what they cost.

-Arun

Bel Canto
Audio Space
Bladelius
T.A.C
Hegel
Naim

my priors are
More bass definition

Best Regards
Andreas