Vortex Screens: I have good Advice, and one Question

Audionaut99

I own a highly-modified pair of Vortex's, but my mods were mostly in the cross-over & bass inductance coils - to indescribable success after hundreds of hours of burn-in from clean over-power.   I bi-amp the Vortex's with Tubes, & high-current on the bottom-end.

The existing drivers seem to be matched fairly well to that Vortex design; the existing tweeters (Seas H535 tweeter) is a VERY good sounding tweeter 'if' in the 'right' speaker & electronics design.  I heard many pairs of $4,000-$5,500.+ newer speakers and they don't sound immediately 'better' nor not nearly as 'romantic'.  I want to keep them that way, however...

Question:  I would like to find a fairly less efficient tweeter driver (& with more power handling?) but that can similarly 'match'. However, because I bypassed the hi-pass resistors in the original cross-overs for better sound quality -they sound a bit bright or 'tweeter-hanging' (like a Thiel or B&W speaker).  Please note: I have already tried the newer-generation Seas H535 replacement (from Madisound Parts?)with the ferrofluid-cooled coil and supposedly has impedance curve helping with power handling - but these replacements also sound just as bright.

Can you make any near-perfect replacement recommendations that will not cause a mis-match of components (and that does not require me to change much, if any, components in my well-burned-in exotic $1,200. worth of home-made crossovers? :wink:

In case you don't remember the 'Seas H535' here is their literature:
www.seas.no/images/stories/vintage/pdfdataheet/h0535_25tacd.pdf

Regards, Tony

JackD201

Re: Vortex Screens: I have good Advice, and one Question
« Reply #1 on: 22 Sep 2010, 05:42 am »
Hi Tony the ScanSpeak Discovery D2606/9220 might work. As for it sounding less bright, I really have no idea how that will turn out.

You bypassed the Hi-pass resistors you say? Didn't this make the tweeters ring? Just curious. :)

Anyhow, it would be great if you could share some pics too. I've never gotten a good look at the Vortex Screens.

Cheers!

douglesc

« Reply #2 on: 22 Sep 2010, 06:07 am »
1.Scan Speak D2905/9700  $164.00 Each Madisound
2.Seas T25CF-002 (E0011)  $232.10 Each Madisound
3.Hiquphon OW3  $263.00 per matched pair  Zalytron

Cheap but might be just the ticket is the Dayton DC28F-8  Only $9.88 each they have a 5.5 DCR which is a little more but close, and a 89db spl. Parts Express has this.

Audionaut99

« Reply #3 on: 22 Sep 2010, 05:08 pm »
When using tube gear it sounded better when I took out the hi-pass resistors.  It's only a little too bright sounding when I play certain CD's (e.g.; GRP-label jazz).  Most of the time it sounds roughly as bright as a Thiel or B+W but definitely overall smoother.

All of my gear is in the US, and I've been missing it for a few years.  Otherwise I would have no problem taking some pics and sharing - but that'll have to wait until I figure out a safe & cheaper way to send my stuff to Switzerland especially my speakers.

Audionaut99

« Reply #4 on: 22 Sep 2010, 05:11 pm »
Thank you for your advice(!)  I will look into those first three driver options.  It gives me something to do while impatiently waiting to finally see my gear shipped to me abroad after not seeing it for a while.

Regards!

douglesc

« Reply #5 on: 27 Sep 2010, 07:47 am »
One last tweet you might want to consider is the Usher     9950C-15  They are $67.15 at parts express and have a 4.7DCR with a 88db spl.   That is it, I am done now. Hope this helps.

Chano

« Reply #6 on: 28 Feb 2012, 03:03 pm »
Hi, does anybody recall the technical specifications of the original Vortex screens from the eigthies ? They have two tweeters, a 8 inch woofer and a 8 inch subwoofer. They sound great, but I would like to know what brand and model of speakers was used at that time. Any information will be appreciated. Marc

Chano

Hardware used in the very first Vortex Screen
« Reply #7 on: 29 Feb 2012, 08:16 am »
Hi, I found this information : Model:   WP-820, Manufacturer:   Deltasonik, Type:   Speaker - Car Stereo
Year:    1981-1992 and Pyle. Could the speakers be from Deltasonik or Pyle ? the rating of Deltasonik is 4 Ohm, but apparently mine are 8 Ohm. Any suggestions ? btw : did anybody change speakers on these Vortex Screen prototypes and what did You use ? do you know what crossover and tweeters were used ?