PMC Ob1's vs VSA VR5 HSR

audioligist

Re: PMC Ob1's vs VSA VR5 HSR
« Reply #20 on: 20 Jun 2009, 05:48 pm »
i'm hoping to do the a/b soon, but it may not happen as quickly as i would like,
another question re the vsa line.
in keeping with speakers value around 10g and knowing that the vr5 hse are in one enclosure, do the the vr4's in that price range offer 'better' sonic value by being in two enclosures? and should i get 'really' serious, is there a better vr4 than the vr5 in question

Levi

« Reply #21 on: 20 Jun 2009, 06:26 pm »
Again which VR4 are you talking about?  Do you have the PMC OB1 now?

audioligist

« Reply #22 on: 20 Jun 2009, 07:12 pm »
do not know, i'm relying on vsa knowledged people to tell me.
this is a question of interest and education,
no vsa dealer close to me -  have to drive an hour and a half to a dealer who stocks little or none.
the ones i'm going to a/b are used and were traded for b&w's at a different dealer. 
so the question is to help me understand vsa better.
i auditioned my moon on vsa's and liked it, but the speakers were mangled (finished was scarred and marred they were vr4 jr's) i like the ease which the moon drove them and how the responded and that was the only set within 4 drive. so alas my relationship with vons ended and my relationship with pmc begun
i have had a vsa flavor ever since.
hope you understand my lack of knowledge. (vsa's website is garbage and of little help) so are google searches re the same.
audiophile mags are of little value ever seen a negative critic?

es347

• Facilitator
  • ..I've got my eye on you...which one you say?
« Reply #23 on: 21 Jun 2009, 02:16 am »
In the circa $10K range buy the VR4 SR MKII speakers.  There is nothing to compare with them...trust me.

audioligist

« Reply #24 on: 21 Jun 2009, 11:37 am »
better than the vr5?

es347

• Facilitator
« Reply #25 on: 21 Jun 2009, 12:44 pm »
I've not heard the old single-box VR5 but from all I have gathered from posts and reviews, the two-box VR4 SR MKII should whip the VR5 with no problem.  I will defer to the more knowledgeable on this however....Jack you have the floor.  If you could find a used VR5SE in that price range, I think you would be assured but the VR4 is a superb speaker.

McTwins

« Reply #26 on: 21 Jun 2009, 01:21 pm »
Audioligist......
I haven't heard either PMC or VR5HSE but I do belive you won't be dissapointed with the VR4SRMKII.
Thanks

audioligist

« Reply #27 on: 21 Jun 2009, 10:06 pm »
well, i've got to think about and learn (and i have to stay in the used market)
thanks
I'll let you know how it goes.

audioligist

« Reply #28 on: 21 Jun 2009, 10:07 pm »
i mean a lot to think about

JackD201

« Reply #29 on: 22 Jun 2009, 07:31 am »
I've not heard the old single-box VR5 but from all I have gathered from posts and reviews, the two-box VR4 SR MKII should whip the VR5 with no problem. 

I would give this a very confident YES. Better parts, better looks, and more importantly better design all around benefitting from the added experience of the designer himself.

If you could find a used VR5SE in that price range, I think you would be assured but the VR4 is a superb speaker.

That would be a long shot. These guys normally don't get sold. Owners normally go for the Anniversary upgrade package if in fact they feel it's needed at all.

audioligist

« Reply #30 on: 22 Jun 2009, 11:28 pm »
vr5 se prob a little out of the range even used

Levi

« Reply #31 on: 23 Jun 2009, 01:44 am »
Try the PMC route.  You will love the juicy bass.  It is highly resolving speaker that made my Sonus Faber sounded muddy. ;)

Delacroix

« Reply #32 on: 23 Jun 2009, 02:26 am »

If you could find a used VR5SE in that price range, I think you would be assured but the VR4 is a superb speaker.

That would be a long shot. These guys normally don't get sold. Owners normally go for the Anniversary upgrade package if in fact they feel it's needed at all.

Yep, that describes me. I am sure the Annis might be a  step up, maybe more, from my VR5SE but right now as I listen to Rodriego y Gabriela coming to life in my listening room I do wonder what the next leap forward would be. It's hard for me to imagine the VR5s as the weak link or any mod to these being SO good I had to have it, they are just so good as they currently are. I need to know what is further up the VSA line that would actually fit in my room (and not cost $90k!).

Meanwhile, if you'll excuse the quick off topic plug, I am selling a biwire set of Virtual Dynamic David 2.0 speaker cables that are a superb match with any Vons for a cut price $850, if anyone is interested http://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?topic=69078.new#new

audioligist

« Reply #33 on: 24 Jun 2009, 01:36 am »
maybe the audition will be this weekend, i'll let you know

JackD201

« Reply #34 on: 30 Jun 2009, 05:04 pm »
He got the speakers right :thumb: but I question his choice in amplification :jester:

:P :P :P :P

You're tempting me to coerce you into dipping into the kid's trust fund again Gavin ol' buddy!  :lol: :lol: :lol:

Lamm M2.2 Monoblocks  YUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUM :icon_twisted: :icon_twisted: :icon_twisted: :icon_twisted:

C'mon......take a peek........

http://www.lammindustries.com/PRODUCTS/m22spec.html

This dude is a client  :thumb:

VR-5 SEs and Lamm?

But why stop there?

Why not go a wee bit further?  aa

SCORE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

es347

• Facilitator
« Reply #35 on: 30 Jun 2009, 06:16 pm »
Stop it Jack!  This has become worse than any crack cocaine addiction. :duh:

JackD201

« Reply #36 on: 1 Jul 2009, 01:06 am »
 :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Audiophiles might get monitored by the DEA soon!

es347

• Facilitator
« Reply #37 on: 9 Jul 2009, 02:29 am »
He got the speakers right :thumb: but I question his choice in amplification :jester:

:P :P :P :P

You're tempting me to coerce you into dipping into the kid's trust fund again Gavin ol' buddy!  :lol: :lol: :lol:

Lamm M2.2 Monoblocks  YUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUM :icon_twisted: :icon_twisted: :icon_twisted: :icon_twisted:

C'mon......take a peek........

http://www.lammindustries.com/PRODUCTS/m22spec.html

This dude is a client  :thumb:

VR-5 SEs and Lamm?

But why stop there?

Why not go a wee bit further?  aa

SCORE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Jack,

Tell us a bit more about the electronics in the last iteration...components, configuration, etc.  Not that I will ever actually emulate it but could enhance my fantasizing. aa
« Last Edit: 9 Jul 2009, 05:06 pm by es347 »

JackD201

« Reply #38 on: 9 Jul 2009, 04:31 pm »
Hmmm. This is quite a list. Here goes.

Analog

TW Acustic raven AC-3 with 4 arms (Graham Phantom B-44, Triplanar VII, Kuzma 4-point, Schroeder)
Carts are in same order above Dynavector XV-1t, Koetsu Blue Lace Platinum, MY Sonic Lab Ultra Eminent, Jan Allearts MC Finish)

Phonostages are Lamm LP2, Tron 7

Preamp

VTL 7.5 Series 2

Amps

2 Pairs Lamm M1.2 Reference

Speakers

Von Schweikert VR-9 SE Piano Gloss Black customized with V-Cap Teflons on all 6 HF drivers

Digital

Emmlabs CDSD, DCC2 Signature stack (you can tell be the black labels, if you noticed my stack is non sig with red label only my DAC is Signature)

All ICs and Speaker Cables at the time this picture was taken were Kubala-Sosna Emotions since replaced with K-S Elations. I gotta head over there to here these.

All Power Cords are Shunyata Anaconda Alphas and Vxs(everything digital including the VR-9 1kW Iceamps)

Conditioning

1 Shunyata V-Ray and 2 Guardians

Ampstands

4 Critical Mass Systems Grand Masters

Racks

Again at the time of pic were Grand Prix Audio. Arriving at the end of the month to replace them are 9 levels of Critical Mass Systems QXK Black Platinums which aren't on the website yet.

LP Accesories

Clearaudio Double Matrix RCM

Furutech De-Mag

Furutech De-warper thingy (skip this one he says it doesn't work :lol: )

Acoustic Treatments

I specified the room dimensions and had panel traps built into the walls. What you CAN see are all ASC products.

This room has SIX dedicated 20 ampere lines and 2 dedicated 15 ampere lines as well as a dedicated Siemens panel board.

Air conditioning is vented (silenced with 30% extra size or whatever you call it) and use muffled diffusors.

Now wanna hear something mind boggling?

I'm sleepy. To be continued............ :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

es347

• Facilitator
« Reply #39 on: 9 Jul 2009, 05:09 pm »
Now wanna hear something mind boggling?

I'm sleepy. To be continued............ :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
[/quote]

That IS mind boggling.  I thought you never slept! :lol: :lol:  Question: with the rear firing ambiance tweeters why would you deaden the front wall?