VR-111 XS technology and specifications

DaveC113

• Industry Contributor
  • ZenWaveAudio.com
Re: VR-111 XS technology and specifications
« Reply #40 on: 10 Dec 2015, 06:30 pm »
Congrats on the VR-111 XS!

That is one lucky owner, surely he now owns one of the best audio systems on the planet!  :thumb:

htradtk

« Reply #41 on: 10 Dec 2015, 06:31 pm »
Thanks Jack,

Your system is quite impressive to say the least! Question for you: Those Critical Mass Rize footers that Gavin uses for his Anni's, where do you get them and how much? You can send me a PM if you like, thanks!

Henry

jab

• Esoteric Audio-Video
« Reply #42 on: 10 Dec 2015, 07:23 pm »
Jack D, I hope the images find their way on the pages of a hi-end audio journal.  Certainly deserving!  Nice work Jack D and the VSA team!

Jean Sibelius

• The Confidence Mansion
« Reply #43 on: 10 Dec 2015, 07:29 pm »
WOW, really looks amazing, congratulations 8)

May I ask one question... As the subtowers are placed behind the maintowers: how do you phase align (i.e. compensate for the difference in distance)?

Enjoy the music!!!

Best regards,

Jean

Albert Von Schweikert

• Industry Participant
    • Von Schweikert Audio
« Reply #44 on: 10 Dec 2015, 11:53 pm »
Hello Jean,  we phase align the subwoofer towers with a rotating Phase Control (which also effectively compensates for distance) graduated from 0-180-deg.  Each of the 8 pcs of CIAudio plate amplifiers have an EQ section, Phase Control, and Master Volume.  The sub towers have to be placed to the sides and rear of the main towers to prohibit the reflection of midrange and treble waves from bouncing off of the front of the woofer towers, so we decided to add the Phase Control and place the sub towers behind the main towers.  Alternately, you can place the subs behind the listening position if your room had bass anomalies, but our client's room was designed by a concert hall designer and has six foot thick walls made of reflectors and absorbers.  The room is silent, with no boom, echo, or absorption of any frequencies.  All of the music is there, but it is almost like listening outside - the room has no effect on the sound!

JackD201

« Reply #45 on: 11 Dec 2015, 12:50 am »
Thanks Jack,

Your system is quite impressive to say the least! Question for you: Those Critical Mass Rize footers that Gavin uses for his Anni's, where do you get them and how much? You can send me a PM if you like, thanks!

Henry

Hi Henry

You can look them up on CMS' website. Prices may vary from dealer to dealer so best to check there. CMS did a bang up job with the stands of the 111 XO towers. As both Gavin and I can attest, the speaker footers do a bang up job on Annies as well.

:)

Jack

Hi Uncle Albert :)

The kids are asking when you and Damon will be back  :thumb:

es347

• Facilitator
  • ..I've got my eye on you...which one you say?
« Reply #46 on: 11 Dec 2015, 02:17 am »
.."As both Gavin and I can attest, the speaker footers do a bang up job on Annies as well"...amen to that Jack!  The improvement was not subtle.  They ain't cheap but boy are they the real deal!

kernelbob

« Reply #47 on: 11 Dec 2015, 12:48 pm »
Hi Jack, one last thought on power cords.  The key positions for the MB Signature power cords would be on the two amps driving the main tower woofers and the two amps driving main tower mid/tweeters.  So, four power cords for an audition.  Simple enough to try.

Best,
Robert

JackD201

« Reply #48 on: 11 Dec 2015, 03:20 pm »
I actually have extras but only two of them. CH M1 amps have separate power supplies for small signal components  and output power components. As I have Lamms hooked up now, a pair is free. The problem is.....11s have two plate amps per tower. 111s have 4 per bass tower. Still short a pair and when I rotate the C1s or a quad of KRs in, I'll be short 4. :(

kernelbob

« Reply #49 on: 11 Dec 2015, 03:49 pm »
The plate amps don't need MB Signatures.  Just the amps driving the M/T and W sections of the main towers.  Since the subwoofers (or subwoofer towers in the 111's) get their signal from the output of the main tower's woofer input terminals, the benefits from the MB Sigs will also be noticeable there, even without MB power cables on the plate amps.  I'm sure arrangements could be made with VSA for demos.  As I'm sure you know, the MB power cords have their own break-in requirements.  My experience is that a month's worth of normal use is needed for their Technicolor palette to fully develop.

JackD201

« Reply #50 on: 11 Dec 2015, 03:50 pm »
Been doing that almost as long as you have Robert. I'm Sig all out except the sub plate amps and turntable pump and motor box. Been years now.

kernelbob

« Reply #51 on: 11 Dec 2015, 03:56 pm »
Oh I know you're fully aware of all the MB qualities and conditioning characteristics.  Didn't mean to imply otherwise.

leif8660

• Industry Participant
    • Von Schweikert Audio
« Reply #52 on: 11 Dec 2015, 06:28 pm »
Hi Jimmy

For kicks I counted how many power cords you would need to replace the existing ones. 28, TWENTY EIGHT. Twenty friggin' Eight. No wonder watching you power up is like watching pre-flight at NASA.  :lol: :lol: :lol:

I need an Advil.   :lol: :lol: :lol:

OMG.................................... Damon and I are are friggin rolling on the floor :wtf:

JackD201

« Reply #53 on: 11 Dec 2015, 06:43 pm »
Oh I know you're fully aware of all the MB qualities and conditioning characteristics.  Didn't mean to imply otherwise.

I missed a 1. I thought you meant for me try but rather you meant for me to let Jim. Shhhhhh. I'm working on it  :wink: :green:

I think he's where I'm at. I don't let anybody try out PCs on my system. I'm superstitious that way. When I'm at a point where I feel I've got everything set to a t. Even I don't touch anything.  :)

JackD201

« Reply #54 on: 11 Dec 2015, 06:46 pm »
OMG....................................Damon and I are are friggin rolling on the floor :wtf:

Seriously Leif, it's fun to watch. It's a work out in itself! Damon's seen it!  :lol:

Holli82

« Reply #55 on: 18 Dec 2015, 05:32 am »
Jack

I want more pics of the 111.  I'm inviting myself to Manila. Send Albert back home.

Rodney

Oh yeah, tell Jimmy I'm coming to his place after I leave yours. :D

es347

• Facilitator
  • ..I've got my eye on you...which one you say?
« Reply #56 on: 18 Dec 2015, 04:31 pm »
I actually have extras but only two of them. CH M1 amps have separate power supplies for small signal components  and output power components. As I have Lamms hooked up now, a pair is free. The problem is.....11s have two plate amps per tower. 111s have 4 per bass tower. Still short a pair and when I rotate the C1s or a quad of KRs in, I'll be short 4. :(

..sometimes life just ain't fair  :lol:

JackD201

« Reply #57 on: 19 Dec 2015, 04:42 am »
You're always welcome Rodney! Now to find a conference in Manila for an excuse! Going to my place first is definitely a good idea  :lol: :lol: :lol:

violetmachan

« Reply #58 on: 19 Dec 2015, 12:40 pm »
hi jack and Rodney

Just count me in.....ask Rodney to conduct the very higend subspeciality conference!!in Manila and you convene all the goodness of sound and the magic of Manila and a day pass !!!to visit the palace of sound...jimmys place

Rodney and  I met recently with the conference in Vegas
Rodney arranged some quality time in his sound chamber ....was excellent time with real fabulous sound and the vr9se mark2 and room making wonderful music ......more so with just a push of a button!
it was very grand of Rodney to make time even with his very busy work schedule
He did mention you had also visited his place on one of your travels and had a wonderful time

hey jack when are your goin to post a indepth proper insight into your vr11 and jimmys vr111.....some quality pics please!

keep enjoying your  music and the festive season

Sam

leif8660

• Industry Participant
    • Von Schweikert Audio
« Reply #59 on: 1 Jul 2016, 11:04 pm »

The Legend

:D

What an amazing setup