Suggestions for new products

net-david

« on: 28 May 2003, 01:18 am »
I would like to suggest an upsampler, possibly based on the CS8420.  And/or a USB DAC for PCs, using the PCM2702.  Either would fit easily in the standard CIA enclosure.

And if I am completely out of line, feel free to tell me to shut up... :D

CIAudio

« Reply #1 on: 28 May 2003, 04:16 am »
SHUT UP! (just kidding) :lol:

Upsampler... i doubt it for the following reasons:
Although we could probably sell alot of them.. i haven't heard one that makes an across-the-board sonic improvement. The ones that do, usually have something else going on... jitter reduction, interpolation and higher bit rates (word lengths). The CS8420 is an easy way to do it but introduces alot of trade-offs. There is also rumor of the 8420 being discontinued and maybe the whole Crystal semi division of Cirrus Logic.

USB DAC...is a good idea. If & when we replace VDA-1, we will probably add a USB input for use with computer systems. Seems there are more & more people using computers as their digital sources and could be useful to the home studio guys as well.

We're always interested in what products you'd like to see. We started this business because we were always saying " i wish someone made a .............".

Thanks for your input!

JoshK

« Reply #2 on: 28 May 2003, 01:55 pm »
Question in regards to the USB DAC idea.  What would be the benefit of such an interface other than the obvious ease of connection?  The reason I ask is many modern soundcards put out a digital signal via toslink, etc.  Is there some inherent advantage? I'm curious.

JohnR

« Reply #3 on: 28 May 2003, 02:00 pm »
For laptop users  :mrgreen:

peranders

« Reply #4 on: 28 May 2003, 02:09 pm »
Can anybody explain: What is the real reason for an upsampler? Can't see any. Enlighten me please.

JoshK

« Reply #5 on: 28 May 2003, 02:55 pm »
This makes me think of an idea I have had for a long time and despite numerous projects (mp3projects.com) and end user products nothing has acheived what I am after to make a verifiable audiophile product that I have conceived.  I will post my idea in the lab.

net-david

USB, upsampling, etc.
« Reply #6 on: 28 May 2003, 03:18 pm »
I would think that getting the signal out of the PC as a USB signal rather than a SPDIF signal would be a good idea for EMI rejection and reducing jitter.  In fact, if we could go from USB to I2S without ever going to SPDIF, it would be better.  I am currently using the SPDIF out of my ASUS motherboard to my VDA-1.

Upsampling theory is beyond my ability to explain, but a quick google returned this: http://www.mlssa.com/pdf/Upsampling-theory-rev-2.pdf.  I was hoping that Dusty would make a good/cheap one for me to play with.

David

Psychicanimal

« Reply #7 on: 30 May 2003, 03:27 am »
Guys,

The more I learn about noise control the more I see why people go for upsamplers, upgraded clocks, the Monarchy DIP, etc.  If you erradicate noise in your system you won't believe how good your digital sounds.  I see those devices as ways to circumvent noise.  This weekend I finally conquered noise in my system (it was the AIWA transport).  My system is sounding so unbelievably clean!!!  Digital is really pleasant, I can tell.  I hooked my modded 1200 yesterday and I do miss the much lower noise floor digital brings...

Work on noise and vibration control and get a great digital cable like the i2digital ( wwwi2digital.com ).  Like captain Picard says: "Beyond belief..."

Ron D

« Reply #8 on: 30 May 2003, 04:40 am »
I just ordered an I2digital cable today that will be delivered to a US address that I'll be visiting next week in Connecticut. Can't wait to try it out when I get home after the 8th but have to live with that damn burn-in all over again!

Psychicanimal

« Reply #9 on: 30 May 2003, 04:55 am »
Quote from: Ron D
I just ordered an I2digital cable today that will be delivered to a US address that I'll be visiting next week in Connecticut. Can't wait to try it out when I get home after the 8th but have to live with that damn burn-in all over again!

I have the XLO/Sheffield Test/Burn-in CD.  The burn in track does work really good.  I got mine from user Pdlam in eBay for $20.  Send him an e-mail to see if he's got more.  Also the demagnetizing tracks do work!

I leave the burn in track playing overnight.  Lak got an i2digital cable and he's using my XLO disc.  He also says that it is accelerating break-in.  So far it outperforms his $450 Purist Proteus!

JoshK

« Reply #10 on: 30 May 2003, 04:23 pm »
I have that burn in CD too, just it with a lot of 5 or 6 burn-in/test CDs.  Will have to try it out.