CD Players suggestion for Strato Stereo/Candela Pre

ALS

Dear Odyssey owners,

My brother bought Strato Extreme Stereo with (SE boards) & Candela pre amp.
Based on your experiences, what brand of CD players you can suggest for this combo.
Price bracket around USD1500/=. He listen to all genere of music. He wrote few mails
to Odyssey but no response from them yet.

Thanks in advance,

sjh500

Re: CD Players suggestion for Strato Stereo/Candela Pre
« Reply #1 on: 7 Jul 2011, 03:15 am »
I really like my CEC TL-51XR. I previously had an Audio Note CD3.1X which was very very good, but on the suggestion of an audio writer for Positive Feedback, I went with the CEC and everything improved except for the midrange which was a little more life like in the Audio Note, but everything else was much better and more balanced in the CEC. The same audio writer says that the only CD player he has heard better than the CEC is the $6,000 EAR Acute. I agree, I have heard some fantastic and expensive CD players, and I have to say that I have never heard a more balanced(especially for solid state)detailed, warm and analog like CD player. I got mine on demo for $1,200.

2gumby2

« Reply #2 on: 7 Jul 2011, 01:13 pm »
I recommend the Sony SCD-XA5400ES. I'm very happy with mine. Also, in that price range there is the Marantz SA8004. My Marantz DVD-9500 player is very good and I would think they would have a similar character.

Hugh

• Industry Participant
    • Angel City Audio
« Reply #3 on: 7 Jul 2011, 01:49 pm »
I second the CEC choice.

For the price, it's hard to beat it.
I really like my CEC TL-51XR. I previously had an Audio Note CD3.1X which was very very good, but on the suggestion of an audio writer for Positive Feedback, I went with the CEC and everything improved except for the midrange which was a little more life like in the Audio Note, but everything else was much better and more balanced in the CEC. The same audio writer says that the only CD player he has heard better than the CEC is the $6,000 EAR Acute. I agree, I have heard some fantastic and expensive CD players, and I have to say that I have never heard a more balanced(especially for solid state)detailed, warm and analog like CD player. I got mine on demo for $1,200.

Wolfman

« Reply #4 on: 8 Jul 2011, 06:14 am »
ALS,
CEC gear is supposed to be great,I haven't heard any myself. I have heard internet talk of some possible reliability issues,but again,have never owned. Many owners have no issues. Depending on your circumstances/priorities,I can recommend the Oppo 95 which I use myself,or perhaps one of the multiple variations of modded Oppo 93s. Srajan of 6Moons seems to like his Nuforce modded 93.

These are multi format players,perhaps as a group not thought of being as good on Redbook as a dedicated player,but are not to be underestimated.
The 93,I believe is still around $500.00,the overachieving 95 I think is still at $995.00. My prices could be a tad out of date,I haven't checked particulars in awhile.

Good luck and good listening!       :)

lazydays

« Reply #5 on: 11 Jul 2011, 12:05 am »
still using my retubed Jolida, but have had three Sonys, one Yamaha, and a Cal Delta; plus one piece of junk from Marantz. Seriously thinking about a Sony 5400ES or an Oppo
gary

stereo5

• Current System
« Reply #6 on: 11 Jul 2011, 09:55 pm »
I am using my Sony SCD 777es sacd player and IMO after 9 years it still sounds as good as players costing up to 3 grand.

ALS

« Reply #7 on: 12 Jul 2011, 04:57 am »
Dear All,

Thank you so much for your advises. I'll ask my bro to try any of these CDPs.
Anyone used Arcam CDP with Odyssey setup? My bro used earlier for some time
some FMJ CDP with other amp combo & liked the mids of it. But now he doesn't posses that Arcam & wants to buy something which pairs well with Odyssey electronics.

Thanks once again,

2gumby2

« Reply #8 on: 12 Jul 2011, 11:55 am »
I'm using the Arcam FMJ CD37 with my Odyssey Audio Kismet speakers. The Arcam is the best CD player I have ever heard and I'm confident it would do well with any system.

rikhav

« Reply #9 on: 12 Jul 2011, 02:47 pm »
I also use an Arcam DIVA CD192 with my stratos. Sounds good to me but I have not heard many other players

PDR

• May the best man win
« Reply #10 on: 12 Jul 2011, 03:23 pm »
I bought this about 2yrs ago used, for $950.
It is absolutely stunning.
They are hard to find used as owners just dont sell them, but every once in a while
one comes up......worth the wait.

http://www.6moons.com/audioreviews/raysonic/cd128.html

bacobits1

« Reply #11 on: 12 Jul 2011, 05:12 pm »
I also have a 128 bought for the same price used. Very nice player.
I will not part with it. Your right, 128's don't come up often used.

D

ALS

« Reply #12 on: 28 Jul 2011, 03:41 am »
How about Ayon CDPs with Odyssey amps? Any one tried? There are lot of good reviews on Ayon CDPs.

ALS

« Reply #13 on: 3 Dec 2011, 06:02 am »
Hi, what brand of external DACs go well with Candela & Stereo Extreme combo. Any one has experience? After some reading it was found that Benchmark DAC gell well with above combo. Any suggestions mates?

Thanks

Eduardo AAVM

« Reply #14 on: 4 Dec 2011, 06:25 pm »
It is always subjective but I have tried:

Cary CDP-1, CD-303/300, CD 306 SACD PV with excellent results (again, to my taste)
Jolida
Agile Joker & Step DAC
Berendsen CDP-1
Olive
older Myryad
Sony XCD 670 SACD

For warm sound Jolida & Berendsen
For neutral Cary
For analytical Agile setup

The others sounded good, Olive O3 similar to Rotel.

ALS

« Reply #15 on: 5 Dec 2011, 05:49 am »
Thanks Eduardo, main intention of going for ext DAC or CDP (with digital in) is to use it for PC play back also. He has come across one used Reimyo DAC, but it's expensive, hence he was looking at Either Benchmark DAC1 or W4S DAC. He listens to all kind of music & not very particular about any genre of music. 

Eduardo AAVM

« Reply #16 on: 7 Jan 2012, 08:15 am »
Depending o personal tastes the Cary 306 has been said to sound as good as some Reimyo CD 777 players.

Now, I am following with a lot of interest Symphonic Line's Klareheit 2 but also a combination of very interesting NuForce CDP-8 (with buffer and constant reading speed) to be used alone or maybe with a DAC like Violectric V800.

timind

• permanent vacation
« Reply #17 on: 7 Jan 2012, 12:47 pm »
What does Klaus use when he takes Odyssey to shows? Might be worth looking into.

loki1957

« Reply #18 on: 7 Jan 2012, 02:23 pm »
I think he uses a Symphonic Line CDP

Eduardo AAVM

« Reply #19 on: 7 Jan 2012, 09:27 pm »
Yes Klaus has used Der CD Spieler or the neuer Klarheit 2.

By the way I am selling my Cary 306 PV, 38% MSRP off.