NEW KISMET PHONO PREAMP/UPDATE

AlexG

• Industry Participant
NEW KISMET PHONO PREAMP/UPDATE
« on: 30 Sep 2008, 05:20 pm »
After over a year in the design making and extensive hours in the listening stage the all new Kismet Phono Preamp is ready for prime time. Get ready for the KISMET astonishing eye-catching new looks!

The new Kismet Phono is a Moving Coil/Moving Magnet (MC/MM) Preamp. It has been designed using the best of both world circuit technologies for frequency response, linearity, low distortion and low output impedance. It conforms to the established current RIAA specifications. Falls in line with the rest of the Odyssey Audio design products by offering high-end audiophile performance. This is a complete new design. Special and careful attention has been given by using only first class quality parts components currently available to the point of hand matching components to less that 0.5% in the critical RIAA network!

This design is based on a ultra quiet (no IC chips here) MC gain section using ultra low noise bipolar components, following by two stages that includes the RIAA network and final gain stage (mu-follower) using Vacuum Tubes. Separate RCA inputs are available for MM/MC cartridges. It is highly configurable on both input loading impedances and capacitance using internal gold plated jumpers (no dip switches here). The MC section will accommodate cartridges with outputs as low as 0.15mV!

To top this design the unit has a variable Master Gain Control that allows for variable final gain adjustment to both MC/MM cartridges. This is critical as many times the use of only fixed gain settings will leave some transducers running to hot (loud) adding excessive noise and distortion to the source material, or to soft cutting overall dynamics, reducing definition and soundstage among other anomalies.

The Power Supply (PS) is around a solid state configuration and has been designed to further minimize overall noise specially magnetic fields generated by the power transformer. The PS provides three fully independent voltage supplies circuits for the various sections, again using the very best currently available components that among others, include ultra fast soft recovery diodes and first grade components.

Each Kismet unit is fully handcrafted here in the USA.

Key Features

-   Bipolar and Vacuum Tube single ended stages.
-   Adjustable MC input load impedance and capacitance (internal jumpers).
-   Adjustable MC input gain (internal jumpers)
-   Master Variable Gain control for both MC/MM inputs.
-   Separate RCA inputs for MC/MC.
-   Low output impedance.
-   Class A gain stages.
-   Zero feedback.
-   Low current design for long Tube life.
-   Power Supply with three independent rectification circuits.

Circuit Specifications

Tubes                                                         ECC83/12AX7 (2) ECC82/12AU7 (2)                           
Gain MC                                                      48dB - 60dB (fully variable within range)                      
Input Impedance MC                                     50 -100 - 200 - 1K ohms                   
Input Capacitance MC                                   100 - 150 - 220 pF                   
Gain MM                                                      40dB (fully variable)                         
Input Impedance MM                                     47K ohm                   
Output Impedance                                        < 2K ohm                      
Frequency Response                                     20Hz - 50kHz                    
RIAA Specification                                        +/- 1dB from 28Hz to 25kHz                      
Inputs                                                        Two RCA (independent) MC/MM                         
Mains Input Voltage                                      120/240VAC (50Hz/60Hz)                   

Ok, I hope you like our new Kismet Phono Preamp. Klaus is in the final stages of completing the metal work, and all of you attending the upcoming RMAF should stop and check it out. For now, I am going next room (music room) and listen to it a little more!

Thank you,

Alex
« Last Edit: 12 Dec 2009, 02:05 pm by AlexG »

BobC

Re: NEW KISMET PHONO PREAMP
« Reply #1 on: 30 Sep 2008, 07:42 pm »
Alex,

Just so I'm clear...
I read this to mean it's a phono stage that can be used as a stand alone phono preamp, i.e. no line stage inputs, correct?
Or is this a phono stage that can be run to a line stage?
Is there a planned Kismet line stage to compliment the Candela?
Will a new Kismet line stage have an improved remote control with volume, mute, input switching, etc?

Thanks, Bob

djbnh

« Reply #2 on: 30 Sep 2008, 09:20 pm »
Alex's information did not indicate if it is phase inverting like the Candela. So, I'm hoping it is not.  :?

golfugh

• Dead Can Dance - Into the Labyrinth
« Reply #3 on: 30 Sep 2008, 10:29 pm »
Alex
Any words on the new linestage?
Thanks
Mark

lazydays

« Reply #4 on: 2 Oct 2008, 05:54 pm »
After over a year in the design making and extensive hours in the listening stage the all new Kismet Phono Preamp is ready for prime time. Get ready for the KISMET astonishing eye-catching new looks!

The new Kismet Phono is a Moving Coil/Moving Magnet (MC/MM) Preamp. It has been designed using the best of both world circuit technologies for frequency response, linearity, low distortion and low output impedance. It conforms to the established current RIAA specifications. Falls in line with the rest of the Odyssey Audio design products by offering high-end audiophile performance. This is a complete new design. Special and careful attention has been given by using only first class quality parts components currently available to the point of hand matching components to less that 0.5% in the critical RIAA network!

This design is based on a ultra quiet (no IC chips here) MC gain section using ultra low noise  “bipolar” components, following by two stages that includes the RIAA network and final gain stage (mu-follower) using Vacuum Tubes. Separate RCA inputs are available for MM/MC cartridges. It is highly configurable on both input loading impedances and capacitance using internal gold plated jumpers (no dip switches here). The MC section will accommodate cartridges with outputs as low as 0.15mV!

To top this design the unit has a variable Master Gain Control that allows for “infinite” final gain adjustment to both MC/MM cartridges. This is critical as many times the use of only fixed gain settings will leave some transducers running to hot (loud) adding excessive noise and distortion to the source material, or to soft cutting overall dynamics, reducing definition and soundstage among other anomalies.

The Power Supply (PS) is around a solid state configuration and has been designed as an “external” independent unit to further minimize overall noise specially magnetic fields generated by the power transformer. The PS provides three fully independent voltage supplies circuits for the various sections, again using the very best currently available components that among others, include ultra fast soft recovery “Stealth” diodes. The inter-connection to the main unit is via two fully separated umbilical power cords using “Groneberg HiFi Technik” cables.

Key Features

-   Class A gain stages.
-   Zero feedback.
-   External Power Supply with three independent rectification circuits.

Circuit Specifications

Tubes                                                         ECC83/12AX7 (4)                           
Gain MC                                                      48dB - 60dB – 68dB (fully variable within range)                      
Input Impedance MC                                     50 – 100 – 200 – 1K ohms                   
Input Capacitance MC                                   100 – 150 – 250 pF                   
Gain MM                                                      48dB (fully variable)                         
Output Impedance                                        2K ohm                      
Frequency Response                                     20Hz – >50kHz                    
RIAA Specification                                        +/- 1dB from 28Hz to 25kHz                      
Inputs                                                        Two RCA (independent) MC/MM                         

Ok, I hope you like our new Kismet Phono Preamp…Klaus is in the final stages of completing the metal work, and all of you attending the upcoming RMAF should stop and check it out. For now, I am going next room (music room) and listen to it a little more!

Thank you,

Alex

Alex,
You did it right. Klaus and I had a coversation about this unit around the first of the year, and I expressed the idea that not only do we need a master output control, but the samething with the input for each channel. This is very, very important. I also said it must have enough gain to handle the low voltage input of some of the better MC cartridges. Looks as if your ahead of the game already.

The one and only thing I'd have hoped for was a battery powersupply to completely isolate the unit (with somekind of recharging circut inside). But then again we can't have two beers when there's only one. Now if it would only come with a leggy red head to flip the LP so I don't have to get up and do it!
gary
« Last Edit: 6 Sep 2009, 05:37 pm by lazydays »

AlexG

• Industry Participant
« Reply #5 on: 3 Oct 2008, 04:29 pm »

OK, here are some answers...

Bob,

The Kismet preamp is a phono stage only. You will need a line preamp (Candela of course) down the stream, and from there to the amp (s).

djbnh,

This phono stage does not invert phase.

Mark,

There are plans for a Kismet Line Stage on the horizon...very early stages at this point, but will be coming. It will complement the new Kismet line of products.

Gary,

Yes, you were on the right track....mmmmm....battery power option, not a bad idea at some future!

Cheers,

Alex

golfugh

• Dead Can Dance - Into the Labyrinth
« Reply #6 on: 3 Oct 2008, 04:33 pm »
Thanks Alex.  If you need a Beta tester for the linestage let me know.
Mark

lazydays

« Reply #7 on: 3 Oct 2008, 05:24 pm »

OK, here are some answers...

Bob,

The Kismet preamp is a phono stage only. You will need a line preamp (Candela of course) down the stream, and from there to the amp (s).

djbnh,

This phono stage does not invert phase.

Mark,

There are plans for a Kismet Line Stage on the horizon...very early stages at this point, but will be coming. It will complement the new Kismet line of products.

Gary,

Yes, you were on the right track....mmmmm....battery power option, not a bad idea at some future!

Cheers,

Alex

I'm serious about the battery powered power supply. And I'll take it a better step forward that the ones we now see out there are could be better. There are back up batterys (usually gel celled) that are much better than the ones we normally think of that just use high grade flash light batteries. These are used in CNC controlls, and really work well. Just to be able to completely isolate the phono stage from the main power supply puts you way ahead of the game; as that seems to be where I find most of my noise comming from in the end.
    One other thing that I'd love to see somebody do, is to actually shield the unit with copper sheeting. This prevents much of the trash from ever entering the inside of the phono stage (like the local Mexican radio station that comes around at five in the afternoon every Sunday). And while talking trash; the other point of entry I find is the IC's that connect the phono stage to the preamp. We need somekind of super shielded cables (I actually wrapped mine with some lead foil once, and it made a difference).
    So to end this rabble and rumbeling all I'm gonna say is that I happen to have two mint copies of The Plastic Ono Band's "Live Peace In Toronto" just itching to be played! Life's good when you got a turntable.
gary

eibhlin

« Reply #8 on: 6 Sep 2009, 12:28 pm »
We have not been able to get much information, via AC forum search, on the Kismet phono preamplifier that Alex G wrote about in Sept. 2008, and was wondering if someone could please point us to pictures / other pricing information (short of phoning Alex / Klaus for pricing).

edit:  just found the price info in an RMAF thread.

lazydays

« Reply #9 on: 6 Sep 2009, 05:34 pm »

This design is based on a ultra quiet (no IC chips here) MC gain section using ultra low noise  “bipolar” components, following by two stages that includes the RIAA network and final gain stage (mu-follower) using Vacuum Tubes. Separate RCA inputs are available for MM/MC cartridges. It is highly configurable on both input loading impedances and capacitance using internal gold plated jumpers (no dip switches here). The MC section will accommodate cartridges with outputs as low as 0.15mV!

To top this design the unit has a variable Master Gain Control that allows for “infinite” final gain adjustment to both MC/MM cartridges. This is critical as many times the use of only fixed gain settings will leave some transducers running to hot (loud) adding excessive noise and distortion to the source material, or to soft cutting overall dynamics, reducing definition and soundstage among other anomalies.

The Power Supply (PS) is around a solid state configuration and has been designed as an “external” independent unit to further minimize overall noise specially magnetic fields generated by the power transformer. The PS provides three fully independent voltage supplies circuits for the various sections, again using the very best currently available components that among others, include ultra fast soft recovery “Stealth” diodes. The inter-connection to the main unit is via two fully separated umbilical power cords using “Groneberg HiFi Technik” cables.

Key Features

-   Class A gain stages.
-   Zero feedback.
-   External Power Supply with three independent rectification circuits.

Circuit Specifications

Tubes                                                         ECC83/12AX7 (4)                           
Gain MC                                                      48dB - 60dB – 68dB (fully variable within range)                      
Input Impedance MC                                     50 – 100 – 200 – 1K ohms                   
Input Capacitance MC                                   100 – 150 – 250 pF                   
Gain MM                                                      48dB (fully variable)                         
Output Impedance                                        2K ohm                      
Frequency Response                                     20Hz – >50kHz                    

Ok, I hope you like our new Kismet Phono Preamp…Klaus is in the final stages of completing the metal work, and all of you attending the upcoming RMAF should stop and check it out. For now, I am going next room (music room) and listen to it a little more!

Thank you,

Alex

figures! And I'm poor as a church mouse right now! But if all goes well I maybe ordering one in the spring of 2010. It sounds almost perfect (one other little thing I'd liked to have seen is a mono selector switch or two inputs)
    gary

Eduardo AAVM

« Reply #10 on: 7 Sep 2009, 04:40 am »
that machine sounds impressive and I haven't listened to it yet !1

loki1957

« Reply #11 on: 7 Sep 2009, 01:50 pm »
I'm waiting for one. Hopefully this month.

djbnh

« Reply #12 on: 18 Oct 2009, 03:27 am »
I'm waiting for one. Hopefully this month.
I've been away for a while. Any new information / change in status? TY

AlexG

• Industry Participant
Re: NEW KISMET PHONO PREAMP/UPDATE
« Reply #13 on: 18 Oct 2009, 11:12 am »
The Kismet Phono Preamp project is live and running! Unfortunate it was put on the back burner earlier this year as a result of the economy and the financial slow down we went through, and is hopefully over!

The unit was re-introduced at the past RMAF in Denver and sounded very good - in spite of having some problems with the turntable at the time...go figure! We are at the very final stages - mostly related to a couple suppliers. I want to be sure is right before it goes out.

Thanks for all the support regarding this project. Stay tuned.  :drool:

Thank you,

Alex

loki1957

Re: NEW KISMET PHONO PREAMP/UPDATE
« Reply #14 on: 18 Oct 2009, 03:06 pm »
I hope I get mine in November