OPPO BDP-83SE NuForce Edition !!!

globalkiwi

Re: OPPO BDP-83SE NuForce Edition !!!
« Reply #100 on: 18 Mar 2010, 07:33 pm »
Really, I found only one review of the BDP-83 SE NE - on the analog discussion thread - am I looking in the wrong place?

nuforce-casey

• Industry Participant
« Reply #101 on: 18 Mar 2010, 07:36 pm »
How many reviews do you need?

Nuforce review (very well written):  http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?p=18276672#post18276672

Comparison between SE and NE: http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?p=17724558#post17724558

globalkiwi

« Reply #102 on: 18 Mar 2010, 07:43 pm »
Thanks Casey, I'm specifically interested in the NuForce upgrade of the SE - & if possible comparisons between the two.  I'd read RobJK's comparison (which you linked) but was wondering if there was anything else out there.  I am considering the upgrade for my SE & was just looking for some (quasi) objective input before sending it off!

nuforce-casey

• Industry Participant
« Reply #103 on: 18 Mar 2010, 08:33 pm »
We can guarantee you that the improvements are out of proportion to the $400 we charge, and typical customer can easily spend this much or more for a power cord or interconnect to get less changes to their sound.  Plus unlike some of the 'surgery mods', we can reverse back to SE if the NE is not meeting your expectation.

globalkiwi

« Reply #104 on: 18 Mar 2010, 09:18 pm »
Thanks Casey - that's good to know! 

PeteG

« Reply #105 on: 18 Mar 2010, 11:51 pm »
My 83SE goes out tomorrow for the NuForce Edition upgrade. I hope for a quick turnaround.

talk2me

« Reply #106 on: 3 Apr 2010, 06:23 pm »
My 83SE goes out tomorrow for the NuForce Edition upgrade. I hope for a quick turnaround.

Hope for a quick report/review!  :thumb:

PeteG

« Reply #107 on: 3 Apr 2010, 06:57 pm »
Hope for a quick report/review!  :thumb:

Received it back today, will let it play a burn-in CD and give it a listen sometime tomorrow.

tomcrown1

« Reply #108 on: 5 Apr 2010, 12:02 am »
Well, I just upgraded my Se to the Nuforce edition after a week burn in WOW this is the first time I can say my costly CDs $15.00 to $30.00 sound very near to a good vinyl recording.  I have never heard CDs sound this good. :drool:

KnowTalent

• ...stuck in the middle with you
« Reply #109 on: 19 Apr 2010, 08:24 pm »
We can guarantee you that the improvements are out of proportion to the $400 we charge, and typical customer can easily spend this much or more for a power cord or interconnect to get less changes to their sound.  Plus unlike some of the 'surgery mods', we can reverse back to SE if the NE is not meeting your expectation.

Do your mods change output voltage?
Have you run any bench measurements showing reduction in THD+N and/or IMD?

Bear

« Reply #110 on: 19 Apr 2010, 11:17 pm »
Is there a way to possibly mod the oppo bdp-83/se to be used as a dac from a computer, for lossless formats?  From my own experience and reading various forums this would be a VERY popular mod.

sac8d4

« Reply #111 on: 20 Apr 2010, 01:38 am »
probably not quite the way you are inquiring about, but you could stream FLAC by the means of a DLNA-capable media server (transoded to LCPM) to the OPPO. check out this thread http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=1215071&highlight=oppo

globalkiwi

« Reply #112 on: 20 Apr 2010, 02:38 am »
Does the NuForce mod alter the region-specific feature of the BDP-83SE - i.e make it an all region player?

rustydoglim

• Industry Contributor
    • www.nuprimeaudio.com
« Reply #113 on: 21 Apr 2010, 03:37 am »
Is there a way to possibly mod the oppo bdp-83/se to be used as a dac from a computer, for lossless formats?  From my own experience and reading various forums this would be a VERY popular mod.

You would be better off using Icon HDP.  Oppo's internal DAC is not designed to work as a general purpose DAC.

rustydoglim

• Industry Contributor
    • www.nuprimeaudio.com
« Reply #114 on: 21 Apr 2010, 03:39 am »

Do your mods change output voltage?
Have you run any bench measurements showing reduction in THD+N and/or IMD?

No change in output voltage. Didn't do any measurement. What you and hundreds of Oppo NE customers heard is what you will get :)

maligue

« Reply #115 on: 5 May 2010, 10:23 am »
To Jason / Casey
I have been able to test-listen to the CDP-8 for some weeks now; my impressions are most positive. The comparison is with the Bryston BCD-1, which is no slouch.
Before taking the leap, however, I would like to return to Casey's post on Nov. 8 2009 regarding similarities and differences between the Oppo NE and the CDP-8.
Is redbook playback on the two units roughly sonically equivalent - warm, harmonically rich, resolving but not overtly analytic, a somewhat forward rather than deep soundstage, 'emotionally' involving? I do not have at present the option of auditioning the Oppo NE.
The reason I ask has to do with added functions on the Oppo NE, that is, SACD playback (I am a 2 channel afficionado). if I knew (for sure) that the two players are intended - by Nuforce - to do Redbook replay in the same way, with the same sonic signatures, I would most likely shell out some more money for the Oppo NE (good for business  :eyebrows:!!) and thus put the not inconsiderable hybrid SACDs in my collection to 'better' use.
Please shed some light on this. Thanks in advance

nuforce-casey

• Industry Participant
« Reply #116 on: 7 May 2010, 06:58 am »
We still maintained that on Redbook playback, CDP08 is better than the Oppo NE.  I would say the Oppo NE would be closer to the Byrston.

piercaub

« Reply #117 on: 11 May 2010, 12:31 pm »
Hello,

I try to get the most direct stereo signal between the Oppo 83NE and the power amp (an upgraded Quad 405).
I currently use the AVP17 as a preamp but a test with a direct connection between the Oppo and the Amp show me a clearer sound (even using to minimum the volume level on the Oppo) with more bass (around 18hz) and clearer highs.
A very simple but transparent attenuator should be able to preserve the Oppo signal, but in that case impedances matching will be essential.

In order to select the right attenuator, I should know the output impedance on the Oppo NE stereo analog outputs, but I cannot find this information ...

Otherwise, any advice or successful experience with this type of setting?

nuforce-casey

• Industry Participant
« Reply #118 on: 11 May 2010, 07:36 pm »
Oppo had a new firmware release that improves the resolution of the volume control, which may be helpful.

The output impedance is 100 ohm.

piercaub

« Reply #119 on: 13 May 2010, 05:42 pm »
Oppo had a new firmware release that improves the resolution of the volume control, which may be helpful.
The output impedance is 100 ohm.
Thank you, I have installed the new Oppo firmware.
The sound delivered by the Oppo 83NE is very good, open, precise and dynamic!
I will continue to compare different associations in order to get the best from the Oppo, with a coming upgraded Quad 405 and soon new Tannoy speakers (Mini-Authographs to be associated with BW PV1 subwoofers for basses).