D-OXO ready for the Holidays

John Casler

« on: 23 Nov 2007, 10:27 pm »

Many who have been reading the VMPS Circle know that for a very, very long time, I have been interested in and petitioning B, to offer a Digital x-over.

The problems have been that the original DEQX that I had thought would be the best candidate, was dreadfully slow to fulfill the needs, and was rather expensive. (especially considering that a 3 way x-over requires 3 channels of amplification per speaker)

So it has come down to the slightly modded and proprietorially programmed DCX2496.

It is offered in 2 versions.

The first is as an "OPTION" on any of the VMPS models at the time of purchase.

The second is as a "KIT" to allow current VMPS owners to "upgrade" their older speakers "in the field".

When purchased with your new speakers, it is a $799 option, and comes as a rack mounted component.

When purchased as a KIT, it is as follows:

D-OXO unit
Mods and Equalization Curves
Extra Set Binding posts
Wire for Tweeter
Wire for Neos
INSTRUCTIONS = Included Online
================
$899 plus shipping

Now while this is "listed" as the D-OXO it can be used either digitally, or in analog, since it has both digital and analog inputs.

There are also a CABLE/CONNECTION packages available.  This unit has "only" XLR ins and outs, so we have custom terminated high end cables manufactured that have XLR to RCA terminations for those who have RCA equipped Components.

These packages are as follows

FULL ANALOG:

1 Pr RCA to XLR (1 meter) = $150
3 pr XLR to RCA (1 meter) = $450
============
$600 list

DIGITAL IN Analog OUT:

1 Single Digital AES/EBU 110 ohm XLR = $250
3 pr XLR to RCA (1 meter) = $450
============
$700 list

Also there are 2 - 3 & 6 channel amps from a couple different amp sources that can be added to the package if needed.

These would be:

NuFORCE
Spread Spectrum Technologies (AMPZILLAS)
ATI
DeHavilland (tubes)
Jolida (tubes)
Parasound (Classic)
Sherwood Newcastle

PLMONROE

Re: D-OXO ready for the Holidays
« Reply #1 on: 24 Nov 2007, 03:40 pm »
I seem to remember that the efficiency of the neos and the tweeter on the RM-V60, when hooked to a single amp, is about 94db. Are the values the same or different when hooked up to separate amps with the D-OXO?

Paul

HAL

• Industry Contributor
« Reply #2 on: 24 Nov 2007, 04:03 pm »
I just took possesion of a pair of VMPS RM40's with FST, Auricaps, wired for triamp connection, but no CDWG.  I have a Behringer DCX-2496 and cables.

How much is it to just modify and program the DCX-2496 if I send mine in to be used with the RM40's?

Brian Cheney

• http://www.vmpsaudio.com
« Reply #3 on: 24 Nov 2007, 05:04 pm »
The non CDWG version of the 40's is a quite different animal from the current version and I doubt we will offer a factory D OXO retrofit anytime soon given the amount of work involved.

That should not prevent you from experimenting yourself.  This is a hobby after all.  Let us know how you approached the upgrade and what your results were.

John Casler

« Reply #4 on: 24 Nov 2007, 05:13 pm »
I just took possesion of a pair of VMPS RM40's with FST, Auricaps, wired for triamp connection, but no CDWG.  I have a Behringer DCX-2496 and cables.

How much is it to just modify and program the DCX-2496 if I send mine in to be used with the RM40's?

Hi HAL,

I will PM you.

John Casler

« Reply #5 on: 24 Nov 2007, 05:24 pm »
I seem to remember that the efficiency of the neos and the tweeter on the RM-V60, when hooked to a single amp, is about 94db. Are the values the same or different when hooked up to separate amps with the D-OXO?

Paul

Hi Paul,

B, can answer that better, but I think the panels and tweeter are in the 94 to 96db range, and the woofer section is also right up there.

John Casler

« Reply #6 on: 24 Nov 2007, 05:31 pm »

Hi HAL,

I have PM'd you, but wanted to post a little addendum.

Actually B, is (or will be) developing EQ.x-over curves for the various older speakers.

Your pair is actually rare (Direct Drive non-CDWG) so those curves have not been set up yet (he was focusing on the CDWG versions).

As well he needs to check the specific speaker to make sure it was a factory Direct Drive, and not a modded speaker by an owner, since the EQ and Crossover needs to be precise.

So if you can, PM me with the info I requested and well see if we can get you D-OXO'd.

John Casler

« Reply #7 on: 24 Nov 2007, 05:38 pm »
I might also mention that on some speakers the D-OXO can be somewhat difficult to perform.

Particularly, the 626, and RM30 where it is "difficult" to operate in a small enclosure through the cutouts.

It does involve wiring around the L-pads and older x-overs, as well as drilling and mounting an additional pair of binding posts.

Rather than using all the existing wiring, some of it is simply snipped, and a new wire is run directly to the binding posts.

HAL

• Industry Contributor
« Reply #8 on: 25 Nov 2007, 05:53 am »
John,
Sent you a PM. :)

This pair of RM40's has internal Auricap XO's.  The owner added the extra connections for direct drive and disconnected the original XO's.  I am wiring the original passive XO's external to the cabinet, since the three pair of binding posts are already installed.  He did have extensive pictures of both original XO's installed. It should be easy to go to a D-OXO with this setup.

Brian,
I will be working with a modified Behringer DCX-2496 with the Selectronic single ended output board.  Once I have them setup, will be giving them a long listen with friends. 

tbrooke

« Reply #9 on: 25 Nov 2007, 10:06 pm »
Is D-OXO simply plug and play for folks with the standard OXO -

Is it a DCX2496 unit with Internal mods?

Can you still use the other dcx2496 features like the parametric equaliser?

Does it require dual amps? Doesn't the dcx2496 go before the Amps?

We need details !!!

Tom

John Casler

« Reply #10 on: 26 Nov 2007, 12:13 am »
Is D-OXO simply plug and play for folks with the standard OXO -

Is it a DCX2496 unit with Internal mods?

Can you still use the other dcx2496 features like the parametric equaliser?

Does it require dual amps? Doesn't the dcx2496 go before the Amps?

We need details !!!

Tom

Hi Tom,

Yes, all "Direct Drive" (meaning 3 pair of binding posts wired directly to the drivers) VMPS speakers are "plug and play" with the D-OXO.

I don't know what mods B, has to make, but at this point they are very small and not like some we may do in the future (such as adding a 6 channel volume control board)

The most important part is Brian's x-over/equalization magic, and expertise.

I know that after he builds one, it will be locked and password protected, so I am not sure how available the "equalizer" will be, but we will be finding out soon.

While he has suggested that some who already have the 2496 "tweak around with it", the ultimate best result will come from his creating the parameters based on his design philosophy. 

B, tweaks up his speakers in a way that others do not.  He uses elements like magnetization, interaction between similar drivers, mass damping adjustments, and other things like 1st order crossovers, minimum phase and so on that mean that the speakers are not built in such a way as to get the desired result from running test tones and letting a software package do the job.

We selected this unit because it has the most potential.

It can be placed in the system in one of two ways:

1) Using the analog outs of your preamp, into the L&R inputs of the D-OXO and then running to your amps (1 channel for each driver or driver system)

2) Using the "digital" out of your digital source, (CD/DVD/Media Player) to the "digital" input of the D-OXO and then running to a 5.1 analog input of a high quality PrePro (like I am considering the NuFORCE AVR17 for mine) and then to your amps from the PrePro/Volume Control. 

#2 makes your 5.1 analog inputs and PrePro into a 6 channel preamp with Unity Gain.

Not sure yet "how many" "Designer" set ups will be available.  These will be created via x-over frequency adjustments, phasing, slopes, equalization, delay and whatever else B, feels will make the speaker do what he wants.

I have proposed the following, but we are far from having them available:

1) 2 channel audiophile curve = single sweet spot listening maximized (NO CDWG)
2) 2 channel audiophile curve = single sweet spot listening maximized (WITH CDWG)
3) 2 channel audiophile curve = WIDE sweet spot listening maximized (NO CDWG)
4) 2 channel MUSIC Background = Highly dispersive and good for parties or background music
5) Home Theater = Medium Dispersion but not highly directional
6) Multi-Channel Audio = Highly Directional
7) Low Level Listening = Based on Loudness Contouring for specific low listening levels (Fletcher Munson)
8) Symphonic Curve = to more accurately portray the phase information to recreate the hall in live recordings
9) Rock Curve, String Quartet Curve, etc.
10) Small/Medium/Large Room equalization = restricting dispersion and room reflections.
11) More (as I think them up)

The unit will store up to 60 of these, and we can also have "updates" on PCMCIA cards that "plug" into the unit, so that as more are available they can be offered.

RGordonpf

« Reply #11 on: 26 Nov 2007, 05:32 pm »
Hi John,

I have heard a number of digital crossovers.  While they sound fine on digital sources, on analog sources the d-xo adds a noticeable sonic signature to the sound due to the A to D and D to A conversions.  I have not heard the DCX2496.  Does it also add a digital signature to analog sources?

I know d-xo's are the wave of the future and that 10 years from now most loudspeakers will utilize them.  However, if I wanted my analog source material to sound like CDs, I would have bought the CDs.   :lol:     Hopefully, Big B won't abandon us troglodytes that still listen to analog sources.

tbrooke

« Reply #12 on: 26 Nov 2007, 06:56 pm »
Sounds good !!!

Any thoughts on :

1. tubes on the top and more watts on the bottom or identical amps all around - this may entail different curves
 2. Sub integration - one could use the same DCX for say RM30s and a pair of subs - this may be difficult because not everyone has the same subs
 3. multi channel use ie 3 channel or a 5.1 system - this may involve a couple of DCXs
 4. custom curves - there is software that can do pretty good room analysis and even though I understand B wanting to keep the curve he provides confidential it seems that there might be room for individual tweaking.

just a few thoughts

Tom

Brian Cheney

• http://www.vmpsaudio.com
« Reply #13 on: 26 Nov 2007, 08:02 pm »
I don't advocate digitizing analog sources either.  The solution is to keep the passive crossover as an outboard that can be plugged into the speaker (with proper connectors) in a minute or so.

I remember a Wadia demo of LP's played through their A to D converter and, next to pure digital, the sound was decidedly colored.

The digital processor will certainly not lock out any other features just because we supply some preprogrammed curves.

John Casler

« Reply #14 on: 26 Nov 2007, 08:14 pm »
Hi John,

I have heard a number of digital crossovers.  While they sound fine on digital sources, on analog sources the d-xo adds a noticeable sonic signature to the sound due to the A to D and D to A conversions.  I have not heard the DCX2496.  Does it also add a digital signature to analog sources?

I know d-xo's are the wave of the future and that 10 years from now most loudspeakers will utilize them.  However, if I wanted my analog source material to sound like CDs, I would have bought the CDs.   :lol:     Hopefully, Big B won't abandon us troglodytes that still listen to analog sources.

Hi Rog,

Now Way will VMPS be abandoning "analog".  This crossover option is for those who need thei speakers to do more than one job.

VMPS, has always been a flexible, adjustable speaker, and this system offers some distinct advantages, and while I haven't heard it yet, I have heard other systems using this unit that sounded quite good.

The best application is for "digital" sources (soon most will have media servers) and keeping everything in the digital domain, until it exits the x-over.

John Casler

« Reply #15 on: 26 Nov 2007, 08:27 pm »
Hi Tom,

1) All that is possible.

2) Since all VMPS are 3 way speakers, it will not be possible to use a single D-OXO for the sub also.

3) You would need a D-OXO for each pair of speakers.  I think its best application is for 2 channel music.

4) The system and software is not for "room correction", and that would complicate the box, although when the speaker is correct, it is then easier to treat or correct the room, depending on purpose.

As with "ANY" technology or improvement, it adds some good things, and subtracts some others.

The advantages are:

1) Being able to run with CDWG on and off with the exact equalizations and x-over points for each

2) Being able to have the crossover on digital sources, fully accomplished in the digital domain allowing significant ability to control the signal with few artifacts or distortions

3) Being able to keep the crossover "ahead" of the amplified analog signal

4) Being able to tailor your crossover to your amps.

5) other

Sounds good !!!

Any thoughts on :

1. tubes on the top and more watts on the bottom or identical amps all around - this may entail different curves
 2. Sub integration - one could use the same DCX for say RM30s and a pair of subs - this may be difficult because not everyone has the same subs
 3. multi channel use ie 3 channel or a 5.1 system - this may involve a couple of DCXs
 4. custom curves - there is software that can do pretty good room analysis and even though I understand B wanting to keep the curve he provides confidential it seems that there might be room for individual tweaking.

just a few thoughts

Tom

tbrooke

« Reply #16 on: 27 Nov 2007, 12:44 am »
Thanks John

I applaud VMPS for doing this because I think it is the way to go. I am curious to hear about comparisons when the D-OXO gets out there. I spent a long time with the DCX2946 a year or so ago and ended up frying my speakers when I messed up the balanced to unbalanced conversion so I am glad that you folks have taken care of the cables to handle that. The DCX2496 is a fantastic device with a lot of capabilities and there is a lot of information out there about them. You can even hook in your computer and fiddle around with them.

However,  As Brian pointed out the passive crossovers are great and I have my speakers pretty well dialed in now so I am not sure it is worth it especially when you factor in the cost of new amps, But then again a new amp may be on the horizon so who knows.

Tom

John Casler

« Reply #17 on: 28 Nov 2007, 06:13 pm »
Thanks John

I applaud VMPS for doing this because I think it is the way to go. I am curious to hear about comparisons when the D-OXO gets out there. I spent a long time with the DCX2946 a year or so ago and ended up frying my speakers when I messed up the balanced to unbalanced conversion so I am glad that you folks have taken care of the cables to handle that. The DCX2496 is a fantastic device with a lot of capabilities and there is a lot of information out there about them. You can even hook in your computer and fiddle around with them.

However,  As Brian pointed out the passive crossovers are great and I have my speakers pretty well dialed in now so I am not sure it is worth it especially when you factor in the cost of new amps, But then again a new amp may be on the horizon so who knows.

Tom

We will see how they compare.

All technologies have their +'s and -'s.

This D-OXO offers considerable "flexibility" not available with an analog unit.

I has slopes, and combinations of x-over control, that would be hard to reproduce in the passive analog environment.  It also offers the ability to have specific curves for specific purposes.

The crossover controls phase and other elements that will create a different type of interaction between drivers and even some room concerns.

The D-OXO will eliminate the need to run the signal through the L-Pads, and all adjustment of that type will be performed in the digital domain, and they will be equal or even more precise.

While B, is an artist in design of the analog x-over, and how he makes it perform with his special driver set, I think we will find he will take this new "CANVAS" and perform magic we haven't heard before.

The VMPS speaker can be made to have many different sonic qualities, and they can be further utilized with the flexibility this XO brings to the table.