BDA-3 DAC

Grit

• - Garrett
Re: BDA-3 DAC
« Reply #360 on: 16 Mar 2016, 04:22 am »
I think the Oppo's default volume is "variable". In the settings, you can switch it to "fixed". That'll likely resolve your problem.

EuroDriver

HQ Player to realtime upsample PCM to DSD 256
« Reply #361 on: 16 Mar 2016, 01:08 pm »
Repeating my question from January, are any BDA-3 owners using HQ Player to upsample 16/44 PCM to DSD 512 ?

audio.bill

« Reply #362 on: 16 Mar 2016, 01:52 pm »
EuroDriver - The BDA-3 supports up to DSD256 (quad DSD) natively, so it would not work with a DSD512 upsampled signal. You could use HQPlayer to upsample to DSD256 though, but I haven't read of anyone doing so yet.

EuroDriver

« Reply #363 on: 16 Mar 2016, 04:42 pm »
Aloplogies for my typo ! I meant DSD 256 !!  :oops:

scirica

« Reply #364 on: 17 Mar 2016, 01:01 pm »
Aloplogies for my typo ! I meant DSD 256 !!  :oops:

I actually did try that briefly over the weekend, and it sounded very good.  However, I was just trying out HQPlayer for the first time (with Roon) so I'm not certain I was really using HQPlayer at its optimum.

gdbalp

« Reply #365 on: 19 Mar 2016, 05:45 am »
Hey James,

There is a new DAC chip from AKM.  The number of the DAC chip is 4497 and the specifications appear to be better than 4490 chip, specifications listed below:
DAC 4497
- Maximum Sampling Frequency, Bit rate: PCM 768kHz/32-bit, DSD 22.4MHz
- SNR:128/131dB
- THD+N: -116dB
- Sound Color Digital Filter: 6 types 
DAC 4490
- Maximum Sampling Frequency, Bit rate: PCM768kHz/32-bit, DSD128(5.6MHz)
- SNR: 120/123dB
- THD+N: -101dB
- Sound Color Digital Filter: 5 types

And now the question is if Bryston will test this new DAC versus the existing DAC in the BDA-3?

Luigi

James Tanner

• Facilitator
  • The Demo is Everything!
    • http://www.bryston.com
« Reply #366 on: 19 Mar 2016, 10:01 am »
Hey James,

There is a new DAC chip from AKM.  The number of the DAC chip is 4497 and the specifications appear to be better than 4490 chip, specifications listed below:
DAC 4497
- Maximum Sampling Frequency, Bit rate: PCM 768kHz/32-bit, DSD 22.4MHz
- SNR:128/131dB
- THD+N: -116dB
- Sound Color Digital Filter: 6 types 
DAC 4490
- Maximum Sampling Frequency, Bit rate: PCM768kHz/32-bit, DSD128(5.6MHz)
- SNR: 120/123dB
- THD+N: -101dB
- Sound Color Digital Filter: 5 types

And now the question is if Bryston will test this new DAC versus the existing DAC in the BDA-3?

Luigi

Hi Luigi

Yes we are aware of that chip and have samples - we will see what we think going forward.  It is one of the reasons we made the BDA3 modular so if we feel a better performing DAC comes along we can use it and existing customers can upgrade if they wish.  Remember though the DAC is only part of the overall  design - power supply, circuit layout, ground plans, and how the DAC integrates with the other circuitry in the DAC has to be taken into account. Also in this business there is always something 'new' and new does not always mean better.

james

gdbalp

« Reply #367 on: 19 Mar 2016, 06:06 pm »
Hey James,

And this is why there is pride in owning our Bryston products.  Bryston is always trying to improve the audio/video experience, but keeping the costs for consumers at reasonable rate for their products. :thumb: :thumb: :thumb:

Luigi

Grit

• - Garrett
« Reply #368 on: 19 Mar 2016, 11:10 pm »
Hi Luigi

Yes we are aware of that chip and have samples - we will see what we think going forward.  It is one of the reasons we made the BDA3 modular so if we feel a better performing DAC comes along we can use it and existing customers can upgrade if they wish.  Remember though the DAC is only part of the overall  design - power supply, circuit layout, ground plans, and how the DAC integrates with the other circuitry in the DAC has to be taken into account. Also in this business there is always something 'new' and new does not always mean better.

james

I didn't realized the DAC was modular. I love that Bryston considers this stuff!

Renato6

« Reply #369 on: 20 Mar 2016, 09:03 pm »
Hello

Just getting ready to connect a CD transport to my BDA3.

Any opinions on whether I should use the the Toslink Fiber Optic or S/P Dif 1 Coaxial RCA? My run is less than 3 feet.

I know there are lots of opinions but any feedback as to what you found would be helpful

Regards

srb

« Reply #370 on: 20 Mar 2016, 09:26 pm »
Any opinions on whether I should use the the Toslink Fiber Optic or S/P Dif 1 Coaxial RCA? My run is less than 3 feet.

I've found with the majority of players and the majority of DACs that the Coaxial S/PDIF generally sounds better than the optical TOSLINK S/PDIF.  The sound is more cohesive, more "in focus" (perhaps a bit less jitter?).

The TOSLINK interface is of marginal quality in a lot of players, and the signal has to be converted from electrical to optical and back again.  On the other hand if for some reason you're getting some noise or hum with the coaxial connection, the galvanically isolated optical may be the way to go!

Steve

Renato6

« Reply #371 on: 20 Mar 2016, 09:30 pm »
I've found with the majority of players and the majority of DACs that the Coaxial S/PDIF generally sounds better than the optical TOSLINK S/PDIF.  The sound is more cohesive, more "in focus" (perhaps a bit less jitter?).

The TOSLINK interface is of marginal quality in a lot of players, and the signal has to be converted from electrical to optical and back again.  On the other hand if for some reason you're getting some noise or hum with the coaxial connection, the galvanically isolated optical may be the way to go!

Steve

Thanks.
I am running a Cambridge CXC. What would be a decent brand of Coaxial cable to buy? Don't want to spend a lot as I don't listen to CDs all that much.

srb

« Reply #372 on: 20 Mar 2016, 09:53 pm »
I am running a Cambridge CXC. What would be a decent brand of Coaxial cable to buy? Don't want to spend a lot as I don't listen to CDs all that much.

Blue Jeans Cable Digital Audio Cable (Belden 1694A w/ Canare "75 ohm" connectors)

would be a solid low-cost (3 foot @ $16.00) option.

Steve

Renato6

« Reply #373 on: 20 Mar 2016, 09:57 pm »
Blue Jeans Cable Digital Audio Cable (Belden 1694A w/ Canare "75 ohm" connectors)

would be a solid low-cost (3 foot @ $16.00) option.

Steve

Great thanks, I was actually just looking at those.

audio.bill

« Reply #374 on: 20 Mar 2016, 10:18 pm »
All of the electrical inputs on the BDA-3 are galvanically isolated, so that would not be an advantage to support use of its TOSLINK input.

Renato6

« Reply #375 on: 20 Mar 2016, 10:31 pm »
All of the electrical inputs on the BDA-3 are galvanically isolated, so that would not be an advantage to support use of its TOSLINK input.

In general, the S/Dif Digital coaxial provides better sound, Toslink is better if you get electrical interference and have long runs correct?

audio.bill

« Reply #376 on: 20 Mar 2016, 11:21 pm »
While many may agree with that assessment, I think it will vary depending upon differences in each system and the connected gear. Like most things in high end audio there are often trade-offs which need to be evaluated.

Rod_S

« Reply #377 on: 21 Mar 2016, 10:25 am »
Hi Luigi

Yes we are aware of that chip and have samples - we will see what we think going forward.  It is one of the reasons we made the BDA3 modular so if we feel a better performing DAC comes along we can use it and existing customers can upgrade if they wish.  ...

james

This is very interesting.

Would you ever consider doing this on the SP3 replacement? Implementing say a card based design, even if just for the DACS in a manner similar to what Theta Digital does with their Casablanca SSP's.

Grit

• - Garrett
« Reply #378 on: 22 Mar 2016, 05:25 am »
i absolutely LOVE that concept. I'm guessing the problem comes with the processors, etc. But maybe DAC upgrades are possible?

James Tanner

• Facilitator
  • The Demo is Everything!
    • http://www.bryston.com
« Reply #379 on: 22 Mar 2016, 10:14 am »
This is very interesting.

Would you ever consider doing this on the SP3 replacement? Implementing say a card based design, even if just for the DACS in a manner similar to what Theta Digital does with their Casablanca SSP's.

Yes processors come with the chips and DACs on one circuit board so much harder to separate

james