Need a truck!

lazydays

Re: Need a truck!
« Reply #40 on: 3 Apr 2007, 06:39 am »
if your after anti theft, then a G.M. truck is the only one to get

I already ended up with a used Ford. Can Onstar be added to a vehicle?

not with a Ford, but Ford may offer their own system. Chrysler and a couple Jap companys offer something similar. All buy time off of the Hughs satellites, but the program that OnStar offers is far more advanced. Chrysler would probably be next (along with Mercedes if they have not screwed up their part like they seem todo everything else). I've had OnStar in four cars and trucks in one various form or another. The one I have now does everything but make phone calls. Mine even sends me a diagnostic report monthly of everything in the car including oil life.
gary

lazydays

« Reply #41 on: 3 Apr 2007, 06:45 am »
if your after anti theft, then a G.M. truck is the only one to get. Buy the OnStar package, and you've got it all. You can't hide that truck on this planet without them finding it in a couple hours. They also can turn the engine off till it's recovered again.
Cops love it cause it takes the work out of finding it.
gary
Don't know if its true ???.....but someone once said..."if you rip out the car antenna....no more LoJack or On Star".

As for security.....PowerLock......its not an alarm.

I am pretty sure OnStar uses an internal antenna built into the roof or maybe the mirror inside the car. Also if you unscrew the antenna mast on the two Blazers I had, it still worked just fine. Gotta go in for an oilchange this week, so I'll ask them just where is the antenna.
gary

lazydays

« Reply #42 on: 3 Apr 2007, 06:52 am »
Hi Gary,
 That's interesting information on the Avalanche. Those diesels have a ton of torque. Unfortunately, living up here in the north without a garage, they can be a hassle at times on those frigid winter mornings.
 I picked up the new Liberty this morning and the wife is very happy with it so we'll get our use out of these vehicles for a while Obviously, things in the automotive indutrsy will change by the time I seek out another truck :thumb:

not knowing just how far north you are, I do know they are using a lot of them in Montana and the Dakotas. They now have built in fuel heaters and diesel fuel is much better quality now than even five years ago. Cannot tell you who it is, but at leat one company has built a natural gas powered diesel engine, and has several of them on the road for evaluation. That would be an instant light up, even in forty below zero weather.
gary