Citroen - next generation vans in France?

Russell Dawkins

Citroen - next generation vans in France?
« on: 6 Mar 2007, 09:12 am »
I'm in the market for a family van and can't get this Citroen out of my mind as I survey what is made available to us here in North America.
Seems like a yawning gap in performance, like almost 80% better fuel mileage.

How about a 3,500 lb. 7 passenger van with a 6 speed automatic diesel. Zero - 60 time of 13 sec, top speed of 119 mph and combined average economy of 49 mpg? $28,000 - 40,000.

http://www.honestjohn.co.uk/road_tests/index.htm?id=256

Am I missing something?

JLM

• The elephant normally IS the room
Re: Citroen - next generation vans in France?
« Reply #1 on: 6 Mar 2007, 10:48 am »
Do they still sell in Canada?

Citroen haven't been known as highly realiable, but even 50 years ago could get 60 mph from an engine that was machined so well that didn't needa  head gasket.  Realize that Europeans drive as a last resort, versus thinking "car first" so they neither rely on their car or put on many miles per year.  I lived briefly in Finland 30 years ago and didn't know if the family I was staying with even owned a car for the first two weeks (and we lived 50 km from the nearest thing you might call a city).  In the mean time I'd taken the bus to Helinski (80 km away) with a 15 year old.

I've been watching a series called "Futurecars" on running on the TLC/History channels.  They showed an Opel diesel that could do 140 mph at 113 mpg and an electric that had a 300 mile range, 1-60 mph in 3.6 seconds, and 155 mph top end.  GM is working on a "skateboard" which is an 8 inch thick universal platform for fuel cell/full electric with each wheel having it's own motor that your body of choice would be mounted to.

ctviggen

« Reply #2 on: 6 Mar 2007, 01:12 pm »
Do you really want to go 119 mph in a van?  That does not sound safe to me.  Regardless, I have been wondering about U.S. cars for some time now.  Why don't we have vehicles like the Citroen vans at the link you posted?  I do note that the Citroen is a bit smaller than the Toyota Sienna, for instance.  The Toyota is another 1.5 feet longer and another half-foot wider.  I also note that diesels aren't well liked in the U.S. for some reason I've yet to figure out. 

sts9fan

« Reply #3 on: 6 Mar 2007, 01:17 pm »
When I was just in Perpignan France I rented a diesel almostaminivan from Renault and it was a sweet right. Also had a six speed that was smooth as butter.  When I got home I thought my VW had rocks in the transmission.

jqp

• Volunteer
  • Each CD lovingly placed in the nOrh CD-1
« Reply #4 on: 9 Mar 2007, 10:14 pm »

I've been watching a series called "Futurecars" on running on the TLC/History channels.  They showed an Opel diesel that could do 140 mph at 113 mpg and an electric that had a 300 mile range, 1-60 mph in 3.6 seconds, and 155 mph top end.  GM is working on a "skateboard" which is an 8 inch thick universal platform for fuel cell/full electric with each wheel having it's own motor that your body of choice would be mounted to.

Last summer a business trip took me to the Frankfurt area, location of the original Opel hadquarters. Saw the huge statue of Opel and seemingly miles of Opel factories and warehouses.

It is right off the autobahn where 120kph (75mph) is the "slow" speed.

We cruised in a VW Golf at 160kph (100mph). We usually passed police cars and vans doing less than 160. What a strange feeling.

The Golf had an orange warning sicker "Warning do not exceed 180kph" (112mph)

If there is an accident, you go 80kph (50mph) (electronic speed limit signs that only apply when near congestion areas or in  case of accident)

On the autobahn you will see lots of BMWs passing you in the left lane, and Mercedes sometimes passing. BMW and Mercedes are the high end, Opel and a few others are the mid to low end cars. We saw the old East German luxury car, can't remeber the name.
« Last Edit: 10 Mar 2007, 03:21 am by jqp »

Russell Dawkins

« Reply #5 on: 9 Mar 2007, 11:12 pm »
Do you really want to go 119 mph in a van? 
YES, PLEASE!! I would like a vehicle that can go that fast safely, so it is that much safer at the speeds I will usually drive. Which, of course is much slower - say, 100 mph, given the chance.
That does not sound safe to me.  Regardless, I have been wondering about U.S. cars for some time now.  Why don't we have vehicles like the Citroen vans at the link you posted? 

That really was the point of the post!
I also note that diesels aren't well liked in the U.S. for some reason I've yet to figure out. 

I think that's based on the characteristics of all but the latest generation of automotive diesels. If you go to the link I provided in the first post to the road test, scroll down to the motor options and look at the CO2 numbers, the new diesels are 2/3 what the gasoline engines measure. It seems this newest type diesel - the HDI (High pressure Direct Injection) - burns so efficiently it doesn't smell and has a number of very civilized characteristics in comparison to what we know as typical.

to JLM: My understanding is that Citroens are not only reliable but surpisingly durable, in that you can expect very long life from the engine before needing expensive servicing, like rings. They always have been very complex cars, though, and maybe that, combined with the fact that almost no mechanic in the US or Canada has any familiarity with them make them a tough sell in terms of setting up a dealer/service base.

For almost 50 years they have been self-levelling. I talked to a guy 45 years ago who was so proud of his DS-19 that he took me for a drive around town (I was a stranger to him) and told me how when he first bought it in Vancouver he stayed on the car deck on the ferry ride back to Victoria and read the manual. Then, noticing movement outside he looked out to discover that although the engine was long shut off, his car was reacting to the ferry rolling and trying to correct by keeping the car level!

Aerodynamically, Citroen have led by 20 years or more.