Why the hate?

RDavidson

Re: Why the hate?
« Reply #60 on: 17 Jun 2017, 03:22 pm »
If you want to make a difference, buy more locally produced goods. I don't think one has to be a hippie or live like one to do that. Just substitute things you'd normally buy....which would subsequently encourage local economic growth and so on.

Emil

« Reply #61 on: 17 Jun 2017, 03:23 pm »
The migrant problem is a separate issue

Maybe in today's times but prior to the current situation, Europe needed migrants to do the menial jobs due a drop in the native population. Marriage and children were so passe. How progressive.

rajacat

• Washington State
« Reply #62 on: 17 Jun 2017, 03:35 pm »
The migrant problem is a separate issue

Maybe in today's times but prior to the current situation, Europe needed migrants to do the menial jobs due a drop in the native population. Marriage and children were so passe. How progressive.
https://www.nytimes.com/2017/06/16/opinion/only-mass-deportation-can-save-america.html?action=click&pgtype=Homepage&clickSource=story-heading&module=opinion-c-col-left-region&region=opinion-c-col-left-region&WT.nav=opinion-c-col-left-region&_r=0

adminRH

• Admin
« Reply #63 on: 17 Jun 2017, 03:43 pm »
Some political and careless comments starting to emerge, this is headed for Quarantine. Please adjust course.
Thank you!

mix4fix

• Volunteer
  • I reject your music, and substitute my own.
« Reply #64 on: 17 Jun 2017, 03:50 pm »
If you want to make a difference, buy more locally produced goods. I don't think one has to be a hippie or live like one to do that. Just substitute things you'd normally buy....which would subsequently encourage local economic growth and so on.

That's what it sounds like: from talking heads on television, government officials, to some members here on this forum. It's always "we" have to go beyond the normal recycle and conserve to quite frankly be a nanny state to the rest. If you choose to live minimalistically, that's your freedom (as long as your freedom to be you includes my freedom to be free from you).

And quite frankly, I'm surprised to hear that type of conversation from a group of individuals (this forum) who exercise their freedom of expression/speech in a hobby rooted in excess (vinyl/CD collections, expensive equipment, and even dedicate rooms).

Emil

« Reply #65 on: 17 Jun 2017, 03:51 pm »
https://www.nytimes.com/2017/06/16/opinion/only-mass-deportation-can-save-america.html?action=click&pgtype=Homepage&clickSource=story-heading&module=opinion-c-col-left-region&region=opinion-c-col-left-region&WT.nav=opinion-c-col-left-region&_r=0

After  the very first sentence is where I stop reading.
In the matter of immigration, mark this conservative columnist down as strongly pro-deportation.

I have an issue with ILLEGAL immigration. ILLEGAL.
Control over our borders just like Mexico does by using their military on their southern border.

Devil Doc

• On the road to Perdition
« Reply #66 on: 17 Jun 2017, 03:59 pm »
Hate and politics are not allowed here. Not so much to ask.

Doc

Emil

« Reply #67 on: 17 Jun 2017, 04:01 pm »
Hate and politics are not allowed here. Not so much to ask.

Doc

True.
That goes for my Prius also :thumb:

Happy Fathers Day to all!

over and out.......

Photon46

« Reply #68 on: 17 Jun 2017, 04:13 pm »
And quite frankly, I'm surprised to hear that type of conversation from a group of individuals (this forum) who exercise their freedom of expression/speech in a hobby rooted in excess (vinyl/CD collections, expensive equipment, and even dedicate rooms).

Well humans have a remarkable capacity to entertain negating viewpoints simultaneously and seek bias confirmation in random data points :lol: We ALL do it in spite of our certainty that we're more rational than other humans. Comments like "I hate people that drive _____ " are often good examples of bias confirmation. I watch myself making judgmental observations about under insured drivers in beat up vehicles driving like maniacs, pickup truck drivers tailgating in rush hour traffic, Chrysler minivan drivers dawdling in the fast lane, etc. Not proud of the fact that I entertain stereotypes, but I have them like everyone. When I really think about the entire range of vehicle/driver types that are guilty of bad highway behavior, any pattern I think I see is probably suspect

I must say though, the environmental impact of the high end audio business is probably a rather minor compared to other mass produced consumer goods that are discarded quickly. Cheap clothes, cheap electronics, kids toys - those much more impactful examples of consumption without regard for other consequences. I think most high end audio equipment is made to last and isn't likely to end up in the landfill within a year like so many consumables.

mix4fix

• Volunteer
« Reply #69 on: 17 Jun 2017, 04:42 pm »
Well humans have a remarkable capacity to entertain negating viewpoints simultaneously and seek bias confirmation in random data points :lol: We ALL do it in spite of our certainty that we're more rational than other humans. Comments like "I hate people that drive _____ " are often good examples of bias confirmation. I watch myself making judgmental observations about under insured drivers in beat up vehicles driving like maniacs, pickup truck drivers tailgating in rush hour traffic, Chrysler minivan drivers dawdling in the fast lane, etc. Not proud of the fact that I entertain stereotypes, but I have them like everyone. When I really think about the entire range of vehicle/driver types that are guilty of bad highway behavior, any pattern I think I see is probably suspect

I must say though, the environmental impact of the high end audio business is probably a rather minor compared to other mass produced consumer goods that are discarded quickly. Cheap clothes, cheap electronics, kids toys - those much more impactful examples of consumption without regard for other consequences. I think most high end audio equipment is made to last and isn't likely to end up in the landfill within a year like so many consumables.

Our hobby is rooted in excess: and when I hear/read individuals say things that quite frankly rooted in the opposite of our excess, it's hypocritical of those people. We know that proper electronics will last a while even if you have to rebuild them. But with the language being said from those people, it's not far off from "how dare you have that big house, fancy car, or expensive toy" type thinking.

WGH

« Reply #70 on: 17 Jun 2017, 04:45 pm »
I had a Lexus IS350 prior to this, and it was a blast to drive, when not in traffic. That stiff suspension got old quick, not to mention the premium gas, maintenance, and frequent tire replacements.

Hey, that sounds like my '77 Jeep Wagoneer: stiff suspension, bad gas mileage, full time 4-wheel drive so frequent tire replacements but maintenance is practical zero, these Jeeps were built to last.
But this is the only vehicle I have bought in 40 years so the resources I have saved is off the charts. Insurance and tags are cheap, I only drive 6,000 miles a year so I fill up once a week.
And my Jeep is cool, I get compliments and thumbs up a couple of times a day; all the Prius drivers get is hate (poor guys). Maybe Prius drivers give each other thumbs up, or a subtle nod as they pass each other, or maybe a secret Prius wave (similar the the Queen's wave).

And this has been around the internet for a while but the Time cover Emil posted is a fake.
Here is the link explaining it all: http://science.time.com/2013/06/06/sorry-a-time-magazine-cover-did-not-predict-a-coming-ice-age/

Fake Time cover is on the left:

The fake cover is a doctored version of this cover, from 2007:

mix4fix

• Volunteer
« Reply #71 on: 17 Jun 2017, 04:56 pm »
Some political and careless comments starting to emerge,

Hate and politics are not allowed here.

That's a separate issue...

(not the private forum thing)

Emil

« Reply #72 on: 17 Jun 2017, 05:51 pm »
 And this has been around the internet for a while but the Time cover Emil posted is a fake.
Here is the link explaining it all: http://science.time.com/2013/06/06/sorry-a-time-magazine-cover-did-not-predict-a-coming-ice-age/

Can't be. The internet doesn't lie :icon_lol:

You guys too young to remember when global cooling was a concern in the 70's?
Scared the crap out of me when I was kid

http://www.populartechnology.net/2013/02/the-1970s-global-cooling-alarmism.html

GregC

« Reply #73 on: 17 Jun 2017, 06:24 pm »
I call them *Douche Buggies*. Not in a kind, funny way.  :evil:

Here in So Cal, Prius owners feel like they own the road, and will drive their sorry pieces of crap in the fast lane at 55 because they're saving the earth.  :cuss:

They pull onto the freeway at full power, going about 45 mph. The problem with that is if you're stuck behind the douche there is a 78-thousand-pound semi-truck bearing down on your ass at 70 mph. Douche Buggy don't care, he's saving the earth.  :duh:

Hate is an understatement.  8)

1000 thumbs up I live in California and completely concur.  On Top Gear they drove a Prius on the track like they stole it and had an M3 follow on its tail.  The Prius got 17 mpg and the M3 19 mpg so I think I will keep my M3.

GregC

« Reply #74 on: 17 Jun 2017, 06:35 pm »
The battery packs will become land fill one day (for what cannot be recycled) and think of the coal miners with black lung who helped produce the electricity for your Prius.  Even if you have solar all you do is put electricity back into the grid you have little choice where your source of electricity comes from.  If Prius drivers would just show an ounce of consideration and move out of the fast lane or pull over when on a single lane road when they have 20 cars stuck behind them, there would be a lot less ill will.

S Clark

• a riot is the language of the unheard- Dr. King
« Reply #75 on: 17 Jun 2017, 06:53 pm »
The battery packs will become land fill one day (for what cannot be recycled) and think of the coal miners with black lung who helped produce the electricity for your Prius.  Even if you have solar all you do is put electricity back into the grid you have little choice where your source of electricity comes from.  If Prius drivers would just show an ounce of consideration and move out of the fast lane or pull over when on a single lane road when they have 20 cars stuck behind them, there would be a lot less ill will.
Don't drive a Prius, but respect the decision to drive them by those that do.  As to pulling over to let someone by, I don't do it anymore.  I drive the speed limit or a bit over.  If someone want to exceed the limit and pulls up on my bumper, all he gets is a tap of my brakes.  I don't have to make allowances for others desire to break the law- and there is too much crap on the shoulders to drive there safely. 

SoCalWJS

« Reply #76 on: 17 Jun 2017, 06:55 pm »
I call them *Douche Buggies*. Not in a kind, funny way.  :evil:

Here in So Cal, Prius owners feel like they own the road, and will drive their sorry pieces of crap in the fast lane at 55 because they're saving the earth.  :cuss:

They pull onto the freeway at full power, going about 45 mph. The problem with that is if you're stuck behind the douche there is a 78-thousand-pound semi-truck bearing down on your ass at 70 mph. Douche Buggy don't care, he's saving the earth.  :duh:

Hate is an understatement.  8)
That's the way I feel about ANY car going slower than the flow of traffic in the Fast lane or HOV. Sometimes (seems like fairly frequently) yes it is a Prius.

I call them "Left Lane Enforcers". They think it is their Duty to enforce the speed limit. They cause major traffic problems as they feel great about themselves. Meanwhile, other drivers have to wait for an "exit" to escape the HOV and get around the @#! $!#!.

Trying to get better about staying calm as I drive, but some of these people. Was just driving back from San Diego to SLO County yesterday. What a mess. Encountered several of these Left Lane Enforcers during the drive.  :cuss:

Emil

« Reply #77 on: 17 Jun 2017, 07:00 pm »
You guys are killing me  :icon_lol:

I'm currently doing a defensive driving course  to offset a couple of speeding tickets that I have so don't judge a book by it Prius.

zybar

• Volunteer
  • Dutch and Dutch 8C's…yes they are that good!
« Reply #78 on: 17 Jun 2017, 07:02 pm »
Don't drive a Prius, but respect the decision to drive them by those that do.  As to pulling over to let someone by, I don't do it anymore.  I drive the speed limit or a bit over.  If someone want to exceed the limit and pulls up on my bumper, all he gets is a tap of my brakes.  I don't have to make allowances for others desire to break the law- and there is too much crap on the shoulders to drive there safely.

If you are in the left lane, you shouldn't be there...even if you are driving the speed limit or just over.

The left lane is supposed to be for passing.

George

sunnydaze

« Reply #79 on: 17 Jun 2017, 07:09 pm »

The left lane is supposed to be for passing.

George

Except if there is HUGE volume on a multi-lane road and things are bogging down.   Then ALL lanes should be filled evenly so everyone can move along more quickly and safely. 

That rule only applies when it's open and traffic is freely moving at / above the speed limit.  A fairly non-exsistent condition here in the LI metro NYC area!     :roll: