Tube connectors in thin material?

Folsom

Tube connectors in thin material?
« on: 3 Jun 2020, 04:43 am »
Who of you have successfully mounted tube connectors in something thinner like steel or plastic? How did you do it?

FullRangeMan

• Volunteer
  • To whom more was given more will be required.
    • Never go to a psychiatrist, adopt a straycat or dog. On the street they live only two years average.
Re: Tube connectors in thin material?
« Reply #1 on: 3 Jun 2020, 04:48 am »
Tube amps chassis usually are 1mm steel or aluminium builders always use screws.

Jaytor

« Reply #2 on: 3 Jun 2020, 01:38 pm »
I used a couple drops of thick super glue. You can use the release agent if you ever have to pull them out.

Hobbsmeerkat

• Industry Participant
« Reply #3 on: 3 Jun 2020, 01:48 pm »
You could also use hot glue on the inside to help hold it in place.

goggle1824

« Reply #4 on: 3 Jun 2020, 03:03 pm »
Hot glue on the inside seems a like a good, practical solution, I’ll have to try that. Thanks.

rockdrummer

« Reply #5 on: 3 Jun 2020, 03:11 pm »
Funny you should ask.  I actually used tube connectors in my Folsom 7297! 

I have a steel cabinet.  I very carefully drilled out the holes to make sure they weren't too big.  Then used silicone to attempt to "hold" them in place from the inside.  Knowing that every time I unplug the cables I would very carefully hold the plastic mounting ring in place while I pull.  They stay pretty snug. 

I can take get a pic if anyone would like one.

Ben

Jaytor

« Reply #6 on: 3 Jun 2020, 03:51 pm »
Here's another option.

https://www.mcmaster.com/6157K17

Folsom

« Reply #7 on: 3 Jun 2020, 07:27 pm »
Funny you should ask.  I actually used tube connectors in my Folsom 7297! 

I have a steel cabinet.  I very carefully drilled out the holes to make sure they weren't too big.  Then used silicone to attempt to "hold" them in place from the inside.  Knowing that every time I unplug the cables I would very carefully hold the plastic mounting ring in place while I pull.  They stay pretty snug. 

I can take get a pic if anyone would like one.

Ben

What drill bit did you find to give a tight fit?

lacro

« Reply #8 on: 3 Jun 2020, 07:59 pm »
How about making the material thicker by using a hole saw plug cut from 1/2 - 3/4" MDF or plywood. Glue the plug to the chassis with epoxy or whatever thin material your attaching to. You could use small screws from the outside to secure the plug instead of epoxy.

Folsom

« Reply #9 on: 3 Jun 2020, 08:04 pm »
Depending on how much real estate you have that might work well. I thought about it, like just cutting a board to fit. But that isn't the solution for all types of use.

lacro

« Reply #10 on: 3 Jun 2020, 08:13 pm »

Jonathon Janusz

« Reply #11 on: 3 Jun 2020, 11:47 pm »
Danny, since the tube connectors are currently out of stock pending new production, maybe this is a good time to ask: any chance of retooling the mold for the jack side of the tube connectors to make say one of the ribbed sections in the outer plastic sleeve threaded in a common pitch rather than flat?  I don't think it would interfere with the ability to press fit them in to a speaker cabinet considering the threads would just be additional ribs, with the benefit of gaining the ability to using a locking nut for just this kind of application.

Danny Richie

« Reply #12 on: 4 Jun 2020, 02:11 am »
Danny, since the tube connectors are currently out of stock pending new production, maybe this is a good time to ask: any chance of retooling the mold for the jack side of the tube connectors to make say one of the ribbed sections in the outer plastic sleeve threaded in a common pitch rather than flat?  I don't think it would interfere with the ability to press fit them in to a speaker cabinet considering the threads would just be additional ribs, with the benefit of gaining the ability to using a locking nut for just this kind of application.

The new production has already been made and we are waiting on the arrival.

Interesting thought though.

Sonicjoy

« Reply #13 on: 5 Jun 2020, 02:09 pm »
I would be interested in that as well. I am planning to upgrade my Emerald Physics EP2.7's with tube connectors. The speaker terminals are mounted in the metal crossover box and some tube connectors designed to be installed in thin metal would be most welcome.

rockdrummer

« Reply #14 on: 9 Jun 2020, 02:10 pm »
What drill bit did you find to give a tight fit?

I used the recommended size, It is a 7/16ths bit.  Once I got through I tried not to speed the bit to avoid making the hole a fraction larger. One did fit a bit looser than the other three. It starts to come out if I don’t hold it when removing the cables.

I saw a build years back where someone added a block of wood on the inside of the metal panel. Made the tube connector look like it fit great.

Ben

mlundy57

• Industry Participant
« Reply #15 on: 9 Jun 2020, 03:08 pm »
I use a 10mm bit. It’s just slightly smaller than 7/16”. The tube connectors fit tightly. I have to tap them the last half of the way in.

AKLegal

« Reply #16 on: 13 Jun 2020, 04:47 pm »
I was just about to ask about this.  I am going to be using some of these in the Folsom 7293 amp I am finishing up.  I like the nylon clamping collar idea.  I used hot glue to secure them in my Super 7 crossover boxes because the holes were just a tiny bit lose.  It was effective but messy. 

AKLegal

« Reply #17 on: 13 Jun 2020, 11:33 pm »
Danny are these back in stock?  When I ordered this morning the website said it was out of stock but now I don't see that notification. 

Danny Richie

« Reply #18 on: 18 Jun 2020, 01:38 am »
Danny are these back in stock?  When I ordered this morning the website said it was out of stock but now I don't see that notification.

If all goes well then we may have them by the end of next week of the first part of the week after that.