What do you want done with your system after you pass?

Rob Babcock

• Volunteer
I'm not trying to be morbid! :lol:  Another thread here got me thinking about this:  What would like done with your audio/video gear and all your music & movie media after you pass away?  Does anyone have specific instructions recorded in a will?  Or do you even care what happens to it after you die?

On the one hand, once I no longer exist the fate of my possessions, including my gear, will be of no concern to me.  But it would please me in the here and now to think that someone would derive enjoyment out of my stuff.  In a lot of ways a complete stranger could come to know me pretty well if s/he were to listen to my entire music collection, front to back.  In a rare 4 hour, uninterrupted listening session last night it occured to me that the songs that I tend to listen to the most would tell you a lot about the way I feel and think about life and the universe.

I will say one thing- if there's any type of afterlife or soul that endures my shuffling off this mortal coil, you can bet that my shade would return to exact vengeance if any of my gear was used to play rap or hip-hop "music"! :P :lol:

Nuance

Re: What do you want done with your system after you pass?
« Reply #1 on: 30 Jun 2010, 01:16 am »
I don't know about the rest, but I want the wood used from my speakers to be turned into my coffin.  Aww yeah - a Pau Ferro Rosewood coffin! :lol:

TONEPUB

« Reply #2 on: 30 Jun 2010, 01:17 am »
My daughter has already said that she wants the stereo.  I'm sure by then all of my music will fit on one hard drive (or whatever storage media is prevalent at the time) and one for backup.  Should have all my LP's digitized by then too, so it will be easy!

arthurs

« Reply #3 on: 30 Jun 2010, 01:18 am »
I left my system to my oldest son, the music collection to my youngest, and all the cables to my wife....let them sort it out!  :lol:

Bigfish

« Reply #4 on: 30 Jun 2010, 01:26 am »
I hope I will be able to enjoy a 2 channel system for se :duh:veral more years and if I do I know it will continue to evolve.  Darn Nervosa of this hobby. :duh:  Once I get to a state where I can no longer enjoy it I hope it will provide my son some joy! 

Scott F.

« Reply #5 on: 30 Jun 2010, 01:48 am »
Everything goes to my lovely bride. I've told her to make NO assumptions about the value of any of it. fortunately my insurance guy is one of our best friends. He's got all the values so I know he'll step in and help if need be. I carry a separate rider on all my gear.

I've done my best to create a spreadsheet with the system values but cataloging the values of my vinyl is almost impossible because I've got so much. Some of the albums are completely unassuming looking like Jimi Hendrix Are You Experienced until you see it's the mono version. It still has the shrink wrap and hasn't been played more than about 3 times. Same for my Cream mono and Stones Mono. You have to know what you are looking at when it comes to vinyl. And then there is a series of Furtwangler on the WALP label. To the untrained eye, they look like $.50 albums until you realize they are worth a damned nice vacation....or my Beatles on the Odeon (Germany) label...or...or...or....and then there are my cartridges..... :duh: :duh:

Somebody is going to have one hell of a party when I finally kick  :lol:

SET Man

« Reply #6 on: 30 Jun 2010, 01:51 am »
Hey!

I don't know. I don't have kid.  :scratch:

so I guess I will leave it to my younger brother and his family. But not so sure that he will have room for it and use it. If that is the case than I think I better leave a note of what each components are and how much each one worth so he can sell them here on AC! :lol:

Take care,
Buddy :thumb:

FullRangeMan

• Volunteer
  • To whom more was given more will be required.
    • Never go to a psychiatrist, adopt a straycat or dog. On the street they live only two years average.
« Reply #7 on: 30 Jun 2010, 01:55 am »
I could take the equips with me if possible, to not ask borrowed for anything .
Already I see horrible things happen after the death of several friends, all the same things happen, the wife sells all CDs and equipment at banana prices.

A crazy lady carried a big suitcase full of CDs every week to sell at a used record store at two dollars each.  Other widow sell all the 650 vinyl operas and audio gear to the audiophiles friends of the late husband.

I was told that a such widow hated the husband's hobby and sold all the stuff by jealous and to ''free space in the room''.
A depressing scene in a bad female character.

FullRangeMan

• Volunteer
  • To whom more was given more will be required.
    • Never go to a psychiatrist, adopt a straycat or dog. On the street they live only two years average.
« Reply #8 on: 30 Jun 2010, 02:05 am »
Dear Mr. Rob,
Now you got me worried.   I hope not pass away soon...

Mike B.

« Reply #9 on: 30 Jun 2010, 02:11 am »
I can imagine my tube stash and cables will just be tossed. The equipment sold for pennies on the dollar. Crap, now I am depressed.

Rob Babcock

• Volunteer
« Reply #10 on: 30 Jun 2010, 02:32 am »
Haha!  I hope I don't croak anytime soon!  :lol:

macrojack

• Restricted
« Reply #11 on: 30 Jun 2010, 02:34 am »
I don't care much now - I'm sure I'll care even less then. It's just stuff.

werd

« Reply #12 on: 30 Jun 2010, 02:44 am »
I plan on having my entire estate sold and liquidated right before my time of passing. All funds will be spent on hookers..... Of course you can see how catching a disease will not be an issue. I really cant see it happening any other way....

TONEPUB

« Reply #13 on: 30 Jun 2010, 02:59 am »
I plan on having my entire estate sold and liquidated right before my time of passing. All funds will be spent on hookers..... Of course you can see how catching a disease will not be an issue. I really cant see it happening any other way....

Best plan I've heard so far!  :)

mchuckp

« Reply #14 on: 30 Jun 2010, 04:48 am »
Well, guess I can't leave it to my wife as she doesn't even know how to turn it on.....or know what most of it is. 

I can see the Ebay posting.
"For sale is black boxes with red lights that supposedly make sound.  Make offer."

PDR

• May the best man win
« Reply #15 on: 30 Jun 2010, 06:16 am »
might as well burn it.........non of these mo's even know how to turn it on!!..... :o

tigzstudio

• Norah Jones Rocks!
« Reply #16 on: 30 Jun 2010, 07:50 am »
I will make them hook up my system at my funeral and play "The Final Countdown" by Europe.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AyggY_R3jU8&feature=related

Once the song has ended they need to set it all on fire. 

JohnR

« Reply #17 on: 30 Jun 2010, 09:00 am »
Mine will be buried with me, in my tomb, as I will need it in the afterlife.

That will also ensure that nobody else electrocutes themselves with it, following me sooner than they should ;)

pumpkinman

• A Kind Word Is an Easy Gift To Give
« Reply #18 on: 30 Jun 2010, 10:35 am »
My wife says the room will be maintained and left as a sort of shrine.
She plans on living longer than me, go figure so I'll have put the
question to her. That being said neither of my children have
expressed interest in my hobby. DD Records told me not to forget
to have her to see him. How cold is that he wants the records back

MaxCast

« Reply #19 on: 30 Jun 2010, 11:30 am »
My 10 yo son will probably move into my basement listening room.  He can turn it on and operate sources and the sqeezebox but can't rip and tag yet.  If they want to sell it I told him to post at AC for guidance.

I do like the idea of a coffin but that would be a waste of good wood.  I prefer a plastic bag and a card board box.  Being buried with it could be cool too.  I could either get some good tweek recommendations and instant A/B comparisons or get nasty hums, drop outs, wow & flutter and those nasty room modes.