Addition of subwoofers..

ceedee

• Industry Participant
    • Musical Reality
Re: Addition of subwoofers..
« Reply #20 on: 30 Mar 2010, 02:24 pm »
Hey Stong,

We always hook up the sub at the speaker(s) right when you use one and left and right when you use two and use the speakersignal and connect at the speaker input of the sub.

Now the volume of the mainspeaker and sub is at the same level up and down.

Good luck,

Cor

es347

• Facilitator
  • ..I've got my eye on you...which one you say?
« Reply #21 on: 30 Mar 2010, 07:12 pm »
I ran mine initially as Cor suggested but prefer using line levels from my preamp.  I have a second stereo pair of SE outputs, R and L, and run one to each sub.  You can also use your tape out as it's level is controlled by the volume control.  If you run only one sub, you can Y the R and L channels into a mono input for the sub.  Having dual subs creates a much larger soundstage.

Cor, the msrp of my Velodyne Optimum-12s is I believe $1800 but they are available just about everywhere for $1500.  In comparisons they compete nicely with the JL Audio subs selling for over twice the price.  Since I drive them from my preamp, I can switch off my monoblocks and listen to just the subs.  I've done that and find that they are very tuneful at low frequencies, not suffering from that one-note bass that everyone talks about.  Once set properly they are absolutely seamless with my VR5 Anniversaries.  I am a happy camper. 

stong

« Reply #22 on: 31 Mar 2010, 02:36 am »
Thanks Cor and Gavin for your input.

I guess it works the same as Wilson Benesch Torus which comes with another amp to drive the sub. Maybe,I should try hooking it up with another preamp coming holiday, and comparing it with direct link from speaker's pole.

Happy Good Friday to all and have a long weekend ahead.

scp2

« Reply #23 on: 31 Mar 2010, 11:51 am »
I ran mine initially as Cor suggested but prefer using line levels from my preamp.  I have a second stereo pair of SE outputs, R and L, and run one to each sub.  You can also use your tape out as it's level is controlled by the volume control.  If you run only one sub, you can Y the R and L channels into a mono input for the sub.  Having dual subs creates a much larger soundstage.

I have been following this thread am may want to play with my two subs.
Does the line level from the pre go to the LFE input on the sub?
Maybe I am over my head on this....and should leave it alone and just keep reading.

es347

• Facilitator
  • ..I've got my eye on you...which one you say?
« Reply #24 on: 31 Mar 2010, 01:33 pm »
Short answer, don't use the LFE (Low Freq Effects) as it's intended for the .1 in a 5.1 HT setup...it bypasses the sub's crossover.  I run ICs or subwoofer cables (one per side) from my preamp (R and L RCA jacks) to a Y-adapter (1 female to 2 male) that connects to the R and L inputs on my subs.  I hope that makes at least a little sense. 

scp2

« Reply #25 on: 31 Mar 2010, 06:05 pm »
Yeh..Yeh...I got it. LFE did not make sense to me. I looked at my subs and wandered how one cable from the pre would work.  hmmm I may play with it sometime.  Thanks for clarifying that.