Hearing acuity..

es347

• Facilitator
  • ..I've got my eye on you...which one you say?
Hearing acuity..
« on: 10 Jun 2009, 01:30 am »
I discovered something recently and thought it may be of interest to my fellow VSA ACers.  Since "retiring" 4 years ago, I have been doing electrical consulting...specifically system studies at coal and natural gas fired power plants.  Since many of the areas of a generating station are very noisy, hearing protection is a must.  I faithfully insert those little marshmallow-foam earplugs before entering the noisy areas.  I also wear them when mowing the lawn and especially when operating my leaf blowers.  When you own VSA speakers that's incentive enough to protect those little auditory transducers in your inner ears, right? :thumb: Interestingly, those little hair-like cells are called "stereocilia" :scratch: but I digress.  Anyway, this past week I wore the earplugs for an extended period of time while working outside and after removing them, noticed a greater level of hearing acuity.  I checked this out again and sure enough, my hearing seemed much better after wearing the plugs.  Maybe something physiological is actually going on or perhaps it's just a result of sniffing the still-curing adhesives in my VR5s :shh: At any rate, it's a much cheaper tweak than a Tice clock or Mpingo discs :duh:

Point of clarification: don't forget to remove the plugs before a listening session and certainly before you have one of those "talks" with the mrs/significant other :lol: :lol: 

es347

• Facilitator
Re: Hearing acuity..
« Reply #1 on: 12 Jun 2009, 08:48 pm »
Z-Z-Z-Z-Z-Z-Z-Z......and that's why I didn't attend medical school :sleep:

panomaniac

« Reply #2 on: 30 Jun 2009, 04:19 pm »
The middle ear works as a level compressor.  Loud sounds make the muscles tighten up.  Or so they say.

Give the ear some nice quiet time and it will relax.  You'll hear better - for a while.  It's a good trick.

es347

• Facilitator
« Reply #3 on: 30 Jun 2009, 06:22 pm »
Hey a reply to my message.  Thanks pano.  I have done this several times and it's quite a tweek.

mjosef

« Reply #4 on: 1 Jul 2009, 01:17 am »
I have experienced this same effect...extended period of ear-plugs wear followed by enhanced hearing ability. I have also experimented with visual deprivation and noticed better vision afterward.

es347

• Facilitator
« Reply #5 on: 1 Jul 2009, 03:27 pm »
Quite familiar with visual deprivation, especially in my left eye. :wink: