$10,000 Recommendations ??????????

Doublej

Re: $10,000 Recommendations ??????????
« Reply #40 on: 18 Nov 2007, 07:25 pm »
dsmith5740,

How important is ease of use? If every component is a different brand is that a problem?

For a simple system I would go with all Paraound for the electronics including DVD player, APC for power conditioning, PSB or Paradigm speakers, Art Audio Cables and you're done.

Don't care about the number of different brands.

Amp Odyssey Stratos HT5
Processor -
DVD Player - Oppo (will save you $1k over the Parasound)
Subwoofer - Velodyne

Speakers - endless choices but I would look at VMPS. I have a friend with a VMPS two channel setup used for HT that sounds great. I swore there was a center channel in use.

Will all choices one important issue is customer service. If you have a problem due to teen damage, who can assess and fix it for you and how quick is the turnaround time?

At your price level I'd call or visit Goodwin's High End in Boston to see what they recommend.

BRILEY804

« Reply #41 on: 20 Nov 2007, 10:34 pm »
I sent you a PM, thanks for the reply. :thumb:

bhobba

« Reply #42 on: 21 Nov 2007, 08:51 am »
I second the recommendation of Double Ugly.  But I can not in all conscience go with the guy about a centre channel.  My advice is listen to a pair of high quality speakers with, and without, a centre channel and make up you own mind.  When I did it I found I preferred it without a centre channel.  BTW Bob's speakers are not overkill for HT.  The goal of HT is exactly the same as stereo - faithfull to the original.  I would however recommend getting Bobs speakers and something cheap, like say a panny receiver, and, over time, upgrading it by auditioning componets in your own home, rather than do it all at once.  Sure, Bob's speakers deserve better amplification than a panny.  But, while searching for the amp you like, getting intimately acquainted with the main component that determines the sound of your system, the speaker, is worth it in the long haul.  Also even Bobs mini goes pretty deep, so a subwoffer may not be required initially either.  Many small steps often approach works best IMHO.  No need to spend that 10k all at once.

Thanks
Bill

bhobba

« Reply #43 on: 21 Nov 2007, 08:56 am »
I have a friend with a VMPS two channel setup used for HT that sounds great. I swore there was a center channel in use.

Yes.  I also have found high quality mains obviate the need for a centre channel, in the sense it becomes hard to tell if you are using one or not.  The illusion may not be as good for those not in the sweet spot, so a bit of experimentation may be in order.

Thanks
Bill

ctviggen

« Reply #44 on: 21 Nov 2007, 12:51 pm »
I would highly recommend testing this out.  I performed a test with/without a center channel.  Many movies involving dialog sounded just fine without a center channel.  However, every action movie I tried (Matrix, The Lord of the Rings, etc.) sounded better with a center channel.  In fact, on TLOTR, my VMPS RM40s began breaking up on the opening scene without the center channel. 

Thebiker

« Reply #45 on: 21 Nov 2007, 02:20 pm »
I used to work in the A/V and HT business in sales for a well known retailer.  At this time I do not and have no vested interests in any one company, speaker or electronics.  But I do sometimes find myself unable to keep my mouth shut (or my fingers off the keyboard).  DO NOT GO WITHOUT A CENTER CHANNEL! 

Movies are mixed in 5.1, 6.1 or 7.1 for a reason.....there really is information for every channel, even in the rear surrounds in all movies since "surround sound" became the THING.  If you run speakers all around, you will find that there are even special effects from the center channel as well as dialogue.  For the price of a decent center channel when compared to a price of a full system without one, you are looking at chump change. 

I have heard very good systems set up a variety of different ways, but the best of them has always included a center channel.  After all, if you don't clearly hear all of the dialogue, the movie might not make sense. 

Just my viewpoint, but if starting from scratch with a very adequate budget (which you have), there is no reason not to do it up right.

Walt

bpape

• Industry Participant
  • I am serious and don't call my Shirley
    • Sensible Sound Solutions
« Reply #46 on: 21 Nov 2007, 02:39 pm »
I would agree. 

The other thing a center channel brings is the locking of the dialog to the screen for those who are sitting off to the side.  If you simply run phantom center setting, it splits the center info to the left and right channels.  This will place a lot of the dialog off to the side they're sitting on - not to mention hurting the effectiveness of left to right pans in the front soundstage.

Bryan

Double Ugly

« Reply #47 on: 21 Nov 2007, 02:49 pm »
I would highly recommend testing this out. 

I agree.  Even in the same room with the same equipment, a group might be perfectly split in terms of preference.

As for VMPS and SP Tech, I believe the wide chasm between the respective designers approach to speaker design bears mentioning.  Though different design approaches can sometimes lead to surprisingly similar results, that is not the case here.  One of the more obvious differences is the dispersion characteristics of the two brands.

I say that as someone who's heard all but the Timepiece Mini in the SP Tech line, and every current VMPS offering save for the 626 (only the V60 and I think the RM30 with the CDWG, however).

Note I'm not saying one is better than the other, Bob; to each his/her own.

Personally, even with the dispersion characteristics of SP Tech speakers, I'd prefer a center channel.  I don't know how much there is to gain, but assuming I can afford the rest (amps, speakers, surround processors, etc.), I can probably find room in my budget for a center channel.  That said, if I had to save the purchase of one item till later, that'd be it.