Hyperion 938 Midrange Driver Distortion

Fonz 60

Hyperion 938 Midrange Driver Distortion
« on: 30 Sep 2006, 07:52 pm »
Has anybody had a problem with distortion in the midrange drivers in the Hyperion 938's. Mine are 6 months old and have only been driven by a 35watt Lavardin amp at reasonable volume levels since new. I only noticed this distortion recently in one of the drivers so I've checked the mounting screws for tightness, tried different sources  even changed drivers from one head unit to the other all to no avail. I've spoken to the importers and they have been most helpful and am awaiting their technical expert to talk me through a few meter tests on the dodgy driver. So if anybody can throw a bit of light on the problem i would be most grateful.
As I'm at it does anybody use a Lavardin IT to drive these speakers and if so how does it perform? Would a Graaf GM 50 be a better bet

Dracule1

• Facilitator
Re: Hyperion 938 Midrange Driver Distortion
« Reply #1 on: 1 Oct 2006, 12:13 am »
What do you mean by distortion?  Can you describe the sound of the distortion?  Try pushing in the driver with your finger gently (with the amp off).  Does this lead to an audible sound from the driver?

Fonz 60

« Reply #2 on: 1 Oct 2006, 09:54 am »
Thanks for reply Dracule 1
I've tried pushing in driver (with amp off) no noise . To describe the sound  i would say its like a grating fizzy sound like a cheap transistor radio with the volume set too high.

Dracule1

• Facilitator
« Reply #3 on: 1 Oct 2006, 05:11 pm »
I use to drive my 938s with a 35 watt tube amp, and on very high musical peaks I would get sound similar to yours.  Doesn't have to be from both channels, just whichever channel was producing the louder peaks.  This was the sound of my amp distorting due to high volume, not my speakers. 938s are efficient speakers, but many amps lack sufficient headroom for large transient peaks. I suggest borrowing an amp with higher power for a test (~100 watts).

Fonz 60

« Reply #4 on: 1 Oct 2006, 11:07 pm »
I hear what you are saying and maybe it could be the amps fault but i would have thought that high efficiency speakers like the Hyperions should be ok with lowish output amps 30-50watt.
Has anybody else had this problem with low wattage amps?  Incidently when I changed the drivers around the "distortion" followed it so that should rule out the peaks on a particular channel .

Dracule1

• Facilitator
« Reply #5 on: 2 Oct 2006, 02:43 am »
Fonz, looks like you made the diagnosis already - the driver.  May need a simple swap of the driver.  Although 938s are efficient, they are not super efficient and not all amps are equal.  My 70 watt tube amp seems to outperform solid state amps rated over twice that power.  I've noticed most tube amps will tend to compress the sound as it runs out of power whereas a SS amp will make some nasty noises as it loses steam.  In this regard, my older 35 watt tube amp acted more like a SS amp.  I would still recommend an amplifier with at least a 50 tube watts or 100 SS watts for the 938s, if you like to listen to music with loud peaks.  I know some are driving the 938s with lower power, but I've found it lacking when really dynamic music is played.

Fonz 60

« Reply #6 on: 2 Oct 2006, 07:43 am »
Thanks for the advice Dracule I was thinking of a Graaf GM50B valve amp rated @50watts or the Lavardin IT a SS at 50watts which may as you rightly say not be sufficient for full dynamic capability so maybe something bigger.

kris69

« Reply #7 on: 11 Oct 2006, 12:49 pm »
Hi!
I´ve tried the 938 with Lavardin IT. While it´s very special little ss-amp, my 70 watt Octave V70 (kt88 pp) does everything better, even the lower register.

The difference between the two is going from very good to magic. I am soon to be trying a SET to see what happens. My own guess is that i will loose som authority but gain warmth and more richness.

kris69

« Reply #8 on: 11 Oct 2006, 12:51 pm »
btw

the graaf is otl and problably will have some problems with the dip between 6 - 3.8 ohm. Graaf is problably better suited for flat response. Please report back on that result anyway. I might be wrong. :o

Fonz 60

« Reply #9 on: 11 Oct 2006, 08:59 pm »
Thanks Kris I will try the Lavardin ITfirst and see how I get on I may have a problem getting my hands on the Octave V70 as I am in Ireland and  no dealers for those amps here

PaulFolbrecht

« Reply #10 on: 5 Nov 2006, 12:46 am »
I've posted this in several places around the net now but my 938s are absolutely killer with my 28W 845 Consonance SET monobocks.

There IS more to an amp than the wattage rating. Monoblocks with big power supplies can move current.  Class A amps are always running at maximum power dissipation so dynamic swings are not such a burden for the power supply.

I listen in a completely open space with peaks usually in the low 90dBs, 10' from speakers, with a powered sub coming in at 40 Hz (this takes a slight burden off the amps since it's contributing to the SPL).

I even tried bi-amping with a 240W solid-state amp on the woofers and did not prefer that setup.  Bass maybe a bit tighter, but not better sounding or as well integrated.

The designer of these speakers has gone on record stating that they were designed to play well with a single 300B - 8W - and I've proven him correct with even lower powered 2A3s (when I had an amp out).  Yes, this WAS too little power for real dynamics but you might be amazed just how good it could sound!!

They also reportedly play very well with Hyperion's own 18W 845 SETs which were pretty much designed for the speakers.

These speakers do sound very nice with about any decent amplifiction but for what I listen to - jazz & lot of modern "world music" like VAS and Stellamara, and a lot of flamenco/acoustic guitar, SET is best.

Dracule1

• Facilitator
« Reply #11 on: 9 Nov 2006, 09:36 am »
Paul, your sentiments are reflected by Steve Rochlin of ETM.  He loves his Consonance SET amp with the 938s.

PaulN

« Reply #12 on: 11 Nov 2006, 07:17 am »
Hi Dracule, Paul, everyone,

I have the Consonance 211 Set amps as per Steve Rochlin's review.  Just 16W but I am extemely satisfied with the wonderful sound I get.  I think I have some room issues which tend to bloat my bass just a smidge and this is possibly exacerbated by a limit in the absolute bass authority and grip delivered by these amps.  Speaker mounting may play a part here too and I still hope to try some Symposium svelte shelves if I can ever stomach the cost.

But I digress.  Overall it is a terrifically musical partnership...  poise, grace, beauty, colour, pace, texture, dynamics, presence, you name it, and, yes, even some slam when called for. 

FWIW, I ran some Xtreme AV Quicksilver Gold over the tube pins and speaker cables last week which was absolutely worthwhile.

regards,

Fonz 60

« Reply #13 on: 11 Nov 2006, 04:01 pm »
Its now been almost 2 months since my midrange driver started giving trouble. I still haven't  got my replacement driver from Hyperion. Bad service wouldn't you say I had Living Voice Auditoriums for 8 years and never a problem I am very sorry I didn't spend my money on apair of LV OBX R2's at least I could listen to my music.
So dont believe all the hype and just for the record Hyperion forgot all about my problem for a month and  had to be reminded by  the UK distributer that  a customer had a problem. I am now told it is in the post!!!!!!!!!!

Fonz 60

« Reply #14 on: 15 Nov 2006, 09:47 pm »
Well someone from Hyperion must be reading because my driver arrived post haste and all seems well again with my speakers. With all the talk of valve amps on this thread I have purchased a McIntosh MC275 power amp and a Croft Epoch Mk V preamp (also valve) and I must say they have added another dimension to these speakers more body more transparency and a better overall musicality and not even run in yet so I guess valves are the way to go

HSD_CA

« Reply #15 on: 16 Nov 2006, 12:01 am »
Dear Fonz60,

I apologize for the delay.  We were waiting for the components to arrive, and sorry for the lack of response.

-James

Dracule1

• Facilitator
« Reply #16 on: 16 Nov 2006, 01:01 am »
Hi Fonz and James,

Glad things worked out in the end.  This is one of the reason I started this board so customers and Hyperion can work out service related issues quickly as possible.  I have to agree, tubes are way to go with the 938s.  BTW Fonz, how does the 938s compare with your LV OBX R2?

Fonz 60

« Reply #17 on: 16 Nov 2006, 08:41 am »
Dracule
I didn't have the OBX R's I had the Auditoriums but I have heard the OBX's and wow can they reproduce music on a grand scale. Now its not fair to try and compare the 938's and the OBX's without having them in the same room,same system etc but the Hyperions would certainly win out on looks!!
Thanks James for getting that driver out to me I hope you can understand the frustration I felt waiting for it.