McAlister Audio PPV150 tube amp

SCompRacer

Re: McAlister Audio PPV150 tube amp
« Reply #40 on: 9 Aug 2006, 07:26 am »

The previous owner did not specify to have the bias pots located on the top of the chassis.

I do believe I am that previous owner.  Hi Mark.  Normanality, who posted earlier in this thread, is the good friend of mine that I referred to in my emails. 

IIRC, there was a $50 or $60 charge to make the bias pot adjustments external.  The early PP150 was built on a smaller chassis so the adjustments would have been on the rear panel instead of the top.  Truth be told, at that time he argued the bias adjustments should be buried to keep folks from fooling with them.  If I would have requested a picture of the amp before he shipped it, I would have seen the inputs were on the front instead of the rear and asked him to change it.  It did not come with the 5 way binding posts either so thats why you have the Cardas posts on it now. 

I like Peter and have spoke to him at great length on numerous occasions.  I truly wish him well.  But I am going to be blunt.  He often does nothing with input given to him.  I can provide numerous examples but will just stick with one.  The packaging.  I have two friend’s local and one on the East Coast that bought a PP150.  Two were damaged in shipping, with one or more binding posts broke.  He needs to get professional packing, especially now that the new design PP150 amp is nearly twice the weight it was before.  Norm and I were warned about the packing from the fellow that recommended the PP150 to us as his was damaged, and that was over a year ago.

Last I spoke with Peter he had one tech working with him.  From reading this thread, it sounds like he has two now.  I would expect things to improve with the extra help.  I jokingly thought of Peter as being butt deep in alligators forgetting his primary objective was to drain the swamp. 

In regards to the PP150 on Audiogon (seller is Zipbang), that is also a friend of mine and Norm's.  As he states in his add, recent events in his life force sale so he must part with some gear.

Frihed91

« Reply #41 on: 9 Aug 2006, 06:24 pm »
Thanks for your candid report.

I am in fact sending Peter this feedback, good and bad, without any attribution or URLs.  We spent a couple of hours talking about packing designs yesterday and I sent him some specific information on a foam company that makes the foam Blue Circle amps are packed in.  I have also suggested some simple and radical options for the power amp transformer section.   As I said previously, I live in Copenhagen and if equipment shows up here damaged after $200-300 worth of shipping costs 1 way for a power amp, then I have to pay $150/hr in labour to get it fixed.  I simply won't allow that to happen.  I also listen in the near field, close to my speakers.  ARC, BAT, Mac, Rogue, Manley do not have mechanical hums.  The amp I get is not going to hum, even if i have to get him to change the transformer design at additional cost to me.  I do believe in his audio circuits, and I am going to do everything I can to get the implementation to work.  We will all be the beneficiaries.  I believe he will rise to the occasion.    He is not thinned skinned, either. 

MarkM

« Reply #42 on: 9 Aug 2006, 09:15 pm »
Frihed91, you have gone to great lengths to exhaust all channels regarding purchasing, troubleshooting and the shipping of your amp.  I hope it all works out for you and McAlister gets his act together.  If he streamlines his production process and opts to have custom shipping boxes manufactured, who knows where he will be in a year.  The feedback on this thread has been honest from all, I hope Peter takes heart and implements some change.

If McAlister does not adapt, you will experience what the others have.  Please post after you get your amp.

SCompRacer (Rich), I love the amp and I'm thankful it feel into my lap for the price, looks, slight hum and all. :wink: