Subwoofer Setup Tips & Tricks

Mike Dzurko

Subwoofer Setup Tips & Tricks
« on: 4 Nov 2004, 05:55 pm »
Many of the calls and emails we get everyday involve hookup and setup of Force XL, Titan XL, and Maestro XL subs.  Let's use this thread to build a body of knowledge on how to maximize subwoofer performance and integration into a system.

Please feel free to post your tips. To post links to other places that give information, and to post questions.

To start it off, here is a link to the Library page on our site:

http://www.audioc.com/library1/library.htm

And here's a direct link to our Subwoofer Setup and Troubleshooting FAQ:

http://www.audioc.com/library1/subsetup.htm
« Last Edit: 20 Dec 2007, 05:56 pm by Mike Dzurko »

Harry P

Subwoofer setup tips and tricks
« Reply #1 on: 5 Nov 2004, 12:36 am »
Sounds like a great idea to me!

Harry P

« Reply #2 on: 5 Nov 2004, 01:28 am »
Based on setting up my dual Force both as stereo subs and as a stacked mono pair. Here's what I think is most important in sub setup>
Everything :) Placement is important, phase is important, frequency of the crossovers is important and I have found that stuffing the Sapphire ports is a must.

When I first had the Force I badgered ACI about all the details. I wanted to know WHAT frequency, WHAT phase. It turns out that you really need to find the best yourself. Mike told me to be patient and experiment to become accustomed to the what effect each control and each change in placement had. I did most of my experriments while listening to music with a steady bass line. One of the tracks on a Chesky disc with acoustic bass is very helpful. Eventually I spent a bunch of time with the test CD and the meter. While this was great for learning what each frequency number sounds like, I still prefer listeing to real music. Thats what its all about!

Eric

« Reply #3 on: 5 Nov 2004, 07:05 am »
In one of the back-issues of Bound for Sound, Marty DeWulf had a good article on blending the Titan with the Jag 2000's. There were some good general principles in there

doug s.

• makin' music
« Reply #4 on: 5 Nov 2004, 05:03 pm »
a pair of subs, placed directly outside of (or inside of, in some cases) the monitors.  active x-over, between the subs & monitors, even if the subs are powered.  if using powered subs, then yust turn their x-over to their highest setting.  the above will maximize the benefits of subwoofing, imo.

ymmv,

doug s.

thugh

« Reply #5 on: 14 Nov 2004, 05:17 pm »
Mike,

I remember you posting somewhere, not sure where, that there are other differences between the Theater input and L/R inputs on your subs than just bypassing the internal crossover.  Something about more output through the L/R due to a different roll off.  Am I remembering correctly of smoking funny tobacco?  :lol:

Mike Dzurko

« Reply #6 on: 15 Nov 2004, 12:45 pm »
Quote from: thugh
Mike,

I remember you posting somewhere, not sure where, that there are other differences between the Theater input and L/R inputs on your subs than just bypassing the internal crossover.  Something about more output through the L/R due to a different roll off.  Am I remembering correctly of smoking funny tobacco?  :lol:

Your tobacco is fine :)

The Theater input cuts of at approx. 35Hz (original THX spec) instead of <20Hz. Here's a graph and details:

http://www.audioc.com/speakers1/titan/titaninputs.htm

Mike Dzurko

« Reply #7 on: 17 Dec 2004, 02:39 pm »
If your main speakers are ported, try plugging the ports. I've suggested this for many years, and probably 80% of the time it improves the transition from sub to mains.

socks work . . . clean socks are best,  dirty socks add grunge to the sound

circularduck

« Reply #8 on: 17 Dec 2004, 06:51 pm »
Hi Mike, I have a question about your recommendation.  My speakers (Paradigm Titans, to match my ACI Titan :) ), have ports almost directly behind the tweeter.  Would stuffing the port affect the tweeter at all?  I know I should just try it anyway, but it doesn't hurt posting the question, right? :D

Mike Dzurko

« Reply #9 on: 17 Dec 2004, 08:41 pm »
Quote from: circularduck
Hi Mike, I have a question about your recommendation.  My speakers (Paradigm Titans, to match my ACI Titan :) ), have ports almost directly behind the tweeter.  Would stuffing the port affect the tweeter at all?  I know I should just try it anyway, but it doesn't hurt posting the question, right? :D

Tweeters have sealed backs so the port is only for the bass-mid driver. Stuffing the port will have no effect on the tweeter. Give it a shot and let us know how it works out!

Eric

« Reply #10 on: 18 Dec 2004, 12:25 am »
Mike,

Would this hold true for the Jag/LFM's?

jermmd

« Reply #11 on: 18 Dec 2004, 05:33 am »
If you use the theater in and the L/R ins, does the Maestro sub sum the recieved signals?  Or does one take priority?

Joe M.

Mike Dzurko

« Reply #12 on: 18 Dec 2004, 02:31 pm »
Quote from: Eric
Mike,

Would this hold true for the Jag/LFM's?

With the Jag LFM we have the luxury of a higher crossover point and stereo subs with the highpass network designed specifically for the Jaguars. There will be a difference plugged or not plugged, but in most rooms/systems it isn't a big difference. Try it both ways and let us know what sounds best in your rig  :D

Mike Dzurko

« Reply #13 on: 18 Dec 2004, 02:34 pm »
Quote from: jermmd
If you use the theater in and the L/R ins, does the Maestro sub sum the recieved signals?  Or does one take priority?

Joe M.

Joe:

It will sum the signals, but the theater input is set to wide open gain and starts a rolloff at about 35Hz instead of 20Hz.

thugh

« Reply #14 on: 27 Dec 2004, 04:40 am »
Quote from: Mike Dzurko
Mike,

Your tobacco is fine :)

The Theater input cuts of at approx. 35Hz (original THX spec) instead of <20Hz. Here's a graph and details:

http://www.audioc.com/speakers1/titan/titaninputs.htm

Mike,

With the Maestro, is there anyway to bypass the THX spec AND the Volume and Eq controls while maximizing the <20Hz output?  Or is there a "neutral setting" with the L/R outputs to  minimize the correction Auto Room EQ on my Lex would have to do?

Mike Dzurko

« Reply #15 on: 27 Dec 2004, 02:16 pm »
Mike,

With the Maestro, is there anyway to bypass the THX spec AND the Volume and Eq controls while maximizing the <20Hz output?  Or is there a "neutral setting" with the L/R outputs to  minimize the correction Auto Room EQ on my Lex would have to do?

Tom:

Either the left or right input is flat to below 20Hz. If you turn the gain all the way up on either the right or left input, it functions the same as the theater input except for extension.  Does this answer your question?

thugh

« Reply #16 on: 28 Dec 2004, 12:11 am »
Quote from: Mike Dzurko
Mike,

Tom:

Either the left or right input is flat to below 20Hz. If you turn the gain all the way up on either the right or left input, it functions the same as the theater input except for extension.  Does this answer your question?

It does, thanks, what about the low pass filter settings? I'm crossing over from Panoramas to the Titans at 60.

Mike Dzurko

« Reply #17 on: 28 Dec 2004, 12:25 am »
It does, thanks, what about the low pass filter settings? I'm crossing over from Panoramas to the Titans at 60.

I'd set them at 60 or a little above. Here's why: IMO, the quicker you can cut the sub off, the better. What you're cutting off is harmonics that you don't really want anyway.

rguerra

« Reply #18 on: 14 Jan 2005, 10:56 pm »
Mike,

It's been a while since we've chatted.  Congratulations on your latest product introductions.  I haven't had the pleasure of listening to them, yet, but the online commentary is consistent with the high degree of performance that I have enjoyed and come to expect from your speakers.

Due to the recent replacement of rain-soaked carpet, relocation of furniture and the addition of Lexicon EQ, I have an excuse to fiddle around as I restore the room. Earlier in this thread you endorsed plugging the ports for a more seamless crossover to the subs.  Does that advice extend to the Emerald on-walls as well?

The system includes Panoramas, Essence, 4 Emeralds and 3 Force.

Mike Dzurko

« Reply #19 on: 15 Jan 2005, 03:10 pm »
Quote from: rguerra
Mike,

It's been a while since we've chatted.  Congratulations on your latest product introductions.  I haven't had the pleasure of listening to them, yet, but the online commentary is consistent with the high degree of performance that I have enjoyed and come to expect from your speakers.

Due to the recent replacement of rain-soaked carpet, relocation of furniture and the addition of Lexicon EQ, I have an excuse to fiddle around as I restore the room. Earlier in this thread you endorsed plugging the p ...

It has been awhile, good to hear from you! Sorry to hear about the carpet . . . I can relate as our basement HT flooded early this summer and we spent the next couple of months cleaning up and spending money. At least now the wires are hidden :)

The Emerald On-Wall is one speaker that usually integrates better with the ports open. You can certainly try it both ways but I've done a fair amount of listening and measuring and I leave the ports open. Drop by whenever you can!